Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
The impact that this pickup had on our season cannot be stated bold enough.. he brought stability to the rotation, beefed up the short yardage situations and picked up a depleted the depth chart on the defensive line and allowed guys like Jenkins to heal up and stay on the active roster and not IR so we could pick up another body.

Pivotal point of our season.

Well-traveled Green arrived just in time for Packers defense 

Dallas - Ted Thompson likes to qualify most everything that he says, stays clear of absolutes and seldom tells you what he's really thinking.

But the taciturn general manager of the Green Bay Packers couldn't have been more definitive Thursday when the Oct. 27 waiver acquisition of defensive lineman Howard Green was brought up.

"We were desperate for a defensive lineman," Thompson recalled. "It was perfect timing for us. It was a stroke of luck."

A barrel-chested bear of a man, Green has produced for the Packers in much the same roundabout fashion that another thirty-something retread, left tackle Bruce Wilkerson, did during their last championship season of 1996.

"Well, I haven't thought of it in those terms," said Thompson. "(Wilkerson) was a godsend, but (Green) has helped us. He's got instincts and he knows how to play."

Green hasn't had the impact of Wilkerson, who was inserted to protect Brett Favre's blind side in the final four games and did the job. Green has been on the field for 191 snaps in 11 games (17.4 average), registering 20 tackles (1 for loss) and one-half sack.

"He's done exactly what we asked him to do," defensive line coach Mike Trgovac said. "Just stay in your gap and keep the linebackers free."

If that sounds simple, it isn't. God didn't make many people big enough and strong enough to hold their ground against what at times can be double-team blocks of almost 700 pounds.

Ryan Pickett couldn't play Oct. 31 against the New York Jets, Mike Neal had just been placed on injured reserve and Cullen Jenkins was nursing a pulled calf.

Cut by the Jets that Monday partially because of weight-related issues, Green was playing 34 solid snaps against them six days later. The Packers shut out the Jets, 9-0, and Green turned in the first of his many useful performances.

"There's been some games, who knows what would have happened if we didn't have him," said Trgovac.

Weight hasn't been an issue for Green in Green Bay. The Packers saw a lot of value in a man with a 22-inch neck who wears a size 56 long coat. A sawed-off 6 feet 2 inches, Green good-naturedly says he will weigh "closer to 350 than 360" come Sunday.

After watching the wide-body wearing No. 95 for a week and a half, first-year Pittsburgh offensive line coach Sean Kugler said, "Hard to move a guy that's 360."

That would be especially true for one that's conscientious, assignment-sound and accepting of his sacrificial role.

"Toot my horn?" said Green, surprised by the question. "Well, I'm a consistent, solid guy. I will be where I need to be. In the 3-4 defense you do your job, and when your play comes to you, you make it."

On Sunday, Green will start at right end on base downs, lifting the run-game burden from Cullen Jenkins so he can do some serious slashing in the nickel.

It isn't that Jenkins can't play the run. It's that Green can play it better, and a fresh Jenkins gives the Packers one of the NFL's premier inside rushers.

It's remarkable enough that the 32-year-old Green is starting in the Super Bowl. What's stunning is his career has lasted this long.

Green could run coming out of Louisiana State in 2002, clocking a 5.03-second 40 before being drafted by Dom Capers and the Houston Texans in the sixth round. That September, Green was released on the final cut, the first of six times it has happened to him.

In all, Green has played for nine different teams and nine different head coaches. He has been waived 10 times by a total of eight clubs, including twice by the Texans and Jets.

Green thought he had earned a home with New Orleans in 2004, starting 12 games and playing 44.3% of the snaps. So he never saw the Turk coming in early September 2005.

"I had worked so hard in the off-season and training camp," Green remembered. "Then I got cut. I'm, like, 'What?' Had a great camp, too. That depressed me."

Green never got a call the rest of 2005. Miami coach Nick Saban signed him in January 2006 but cut him in late August. Nobody called the rest of that season, either.

The Vikings signed Green as a post-draft camp body in May 2007 but that didn't work out. Mike Holmgren finally resurrected Green's career in Seattle, where he played five games and then 13 more in 2008.

Rex Ryan and the Jets paid Green a $25,000 signing bonus as an unrestricted free agent in March 2009. The only other signing bonus he ever had was the $64,000 for being drafted.

Green never would take no for an answer, partially because of family responsibilities. He and his wife are the parents of four children, and Trgovac and several of Green's teammates suggested he was a doting father.

"What matters most to me is how you take care of your family," said Green. "If my family's good, then I'm good."

Green, a native of Perryville, La., graduated with a business management degree from LSU. Before putting on a suit, however, he wanted to exhaust every opportunity in football.

"As a young kid I told my mom I was going to be a football player," he said. "She told me, if that's what you want, put everything into it and do it right. She told me there would be good and bad times. That's why I don't get down anymore when something happens."

Green admits he didn't used to be the dependable player that he is now. He referred to himself in his early NFL years as a "kamikaze-type guy who was just lining up and going forward."

The game has become so much clearer, he says, because experience has allowed him to recognize plays by formation. The Packers even got a mentor.

"Howard Green is a good man," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I'll bet you he's a great father. Just the way he interacts with our younger players. I really like the guy's professionalism."

Green has another year on his minimum-salary contract but has no interest in even considering the future. "Big Green," as rookie C.J. Wilson calls him, finally is a somebody after being a nobody for so many years.

"It would mean everything to me," Green says of a Super Bowl ring. "You would have accomplished every goal that you set out to meet in your life."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
The Aaron Rodgers thing is neat!
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
13 years ago
What a great story.
Certainly a stroke of luck for the Packers.
After a hard road travelled, the man did not give up and he made it to the big dance.
I'm glad he made it with the Green Bay Packers.
Dulak
13 years ago
I cant believe some of our 'luck' in either players stepping up or an acquisition that turned out well.

peprah, walden, zombo, shields, green, bishop, starks
peteralan71
13 years ago
Interesting that Green only weighs from 13-23 lbs more than Raji, but he looks much bigger. They are both listed as 6'2'', but Green is listed as 340 and Raji is at 337. Looking at this article, the listings can't be right.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
13 years ago

I cant believe some of our 'luck' in either players stepping up or an acquisition that turned out well.

"Dulak" wrote:

The harder you work, the luckier you get. That goes for the guys like Green, Shields, and Peprah just as much as it is true for Ted Thompson and his scouting and coaching staffs.
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago

"bozz_2006" wrote:

The harder you work, the luckier you get. That goes for the guys like Green, Shields, and Peprah just as much as it is true for Ted Thompson and his scouting and coaching staffs.

"Dulak" wrote:

Zombie2Cool: "Was the Great Barry Sanders lucky to be in Detroit?"
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
13 years ago
Great story and happy to see him in green and yellow, he has certainly been a help on our defensive line.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

Interesting that Green only weighs from 13-23 lbs more than Raji, but he looks much bigger. They are both listed as 6'2'', but Green is listed as 340 and Raji is at 337. Looking at this article, the listings can't be right.

"peteralan71" wrote:

Maybe the difference is that Raji is more muscular and Green is fatter. Fat is lighter than muscle, so it takes up more space and is less shapely, and Green doesn't move as gracefully (relatively speaking) as Raji.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago
Well, this is sad--a reminder that the world does not come to a halt during Super Bowl week, even for the players. From the GB Press-Gazette:

The uncle of Packers defensive tackle Howard Green was found dead in a field near his Louisiana home Thursday, The Advocate (Baton Rouge, La.) reported.

Joseph Green, 88, was found missing by his son Leroy between 4:30 a.m. and 5 a.m. with the back door open. The Ascension Parish Sheriffs Office confirmed he died due to hypothermia.

Temperatures had dropped to the low 30s in the area Thursday. Green had suffered from Alzheimers disease.

blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.