Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=5491§ion_id=40 

GREEN BAY For the better part of his five seasons in Green Bay, Charles Woodson has taken a decidedly lead-by-example approach to his role as a sage veteran. While he would help out his young cornerbacks with their film studies and the occasional technique tip, the seven-time Pro Bowler and reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year wasnt much for public speaking.

Until his fellow Packers playoff captains gave him no choice.

Coach (Mike McCarthy) allowed the captains to come up with who was going to talk before the team before games and that sort of thing, Woodson explained as the Packers prepared for Super Bowl XLV against the Pittsburgh Steelers next Sunday at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. The other captains kind of nominated me without any voting process.

You see, before the postseason began, the Packers elected six captains two from each phase: Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings on offense, Woodson and A.J. Hawk on defense, and Mason Crosby and Jarrett Bush on special teams. And before the teams playoff opener against the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Wild Card round, the other five nominated him to deliver pre- and post-game pep talks in addition to his gig calling all coin tosses.

Woodson was fine with the coin flips he correctly called the overtime flip in last years overtime playoff loss at Arizona but he wasnt too keen on the speech idea at first.

"They kind of pushed me out there to be the guy to do it," Woodson said. "And it was fine with me. I feel like I've played this game a long time, played it at a high level. I feel like the things I can say to the team are things that mean something to them, and I can give them something that maybe I've been through and just shed a little light on this process. So it just kind of happened that way. But it's a role that I feel comfortable with."

And a role hes filled extremely well, which has come as a surprise to no one.

He's been our leader. His messages have been on point, said veteran defensive end Ryan Pickett, the only player other than Woodson on the Packers roster to have played in a Super Bowl. He is normally quiet, but he's been speaking out. Just letting everybody know, Man, this is hard, this is rare. We have players that have been on this team 13, 12 years, never been to a Super Bowl. So we have to seize this moment and capitalize on it.

Because Woodson wasnt a rah-rah big-talking leader before the playoff run, his words now carry more gravitas, according to his teammates.

When youve got a guy like that, just leading by example, and he doesnt talk that much, but when he does, he tends to grab everyones attention in the room, outside linebacker Erik Walden said. Just following a guy like that, you aint got no choice but to go out there and put it on the line because you know hes going to give his all. Just follow that guy, man, because hes doing it Sunday-in and Sunday-out.

I think I tend to get a lot more hyped or electricity from Wood because hes a guy that doesnt talk that much. So, when he does speak, everybodys eyes are on him. Youve got to respect a man like that.

Added Rodgers, who has tried to emulate some of Woodsons leadership traits himself the past few years: Charles is a very respected player on this team. Every time there has been a vote for captains or player council, he always wins. Anytime he speaks, I think he's starting to realize he has a lot of respect in the locker room and guys listen to him; they appreciate what he has to say. And he's pretty good at it, too.

A number of Woodsons spiels have been captured on packers.com during the playoffs, with his most famous one going viral after he referenced President Barack Obamas pledge before the NFC Championship Game that he would attend Super Bowl XLV if his beloved Chicago Bears beat the Packers at Soldier Field last Sunday.

"Hey, I want you all to think about one thing: One," Woodson began. "For two weeks, think about One. Let's be one mind. Let's be one heartbeat. One purpose. One goal. One more game. One. Let's get it."

Then, Woodson paused.

"And check this," he began again, his voice rising to a crescendo. "If the President don't want to come watch us in the Super Bowl, guess what? We'll go see him. White House on three."

Woodson then called up his teammates, who all shouted in unison, "1 2 3 White House!"

The 34-year-old, 13-year NFL vet smiled wide after that, proud of himself.

You have to give it some thought, absolutely. You don't want to just go up there and rant, Woodson explained. You want to give it some thought because you're talking to your peers, and at the same time you're talking at a time where the games are bigger than ever. So you put some thought into it, and you want to be able to tell them something, something that they could feel.

You don't want to just talk and clich guys to death. You want to give them something they can feel. So that's what I try to do.

"Jason Wilde" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (12h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

7h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

7h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

8h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

13h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

21h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.