Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tim_layden/01/28/rodgers/index.html#ixzz1CSRj7Uzk 

[img_r]http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2011/writers/tim_layden/01/28/rodgers/young-montana.jpg[/img_r]GREEN BAY -- Back in the spring and summer of 2008, Aaron Rodgers was still an unproven curiosity. He had been drafted 24th overall out of Cal by the Packers three years earlier (after an long, embarrassing wait in the Draft Green Room, video of which Rodgers has never watched, because, in his words, "I don't have to; I was there.'') and in those ensuing three seasons had thrown just 59 passes. His experience seems almost old school at this point, with rookie QBs now being regularly force fed (Sam Bradford, Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, among others).

But that was, in fact, Rodgers's experience. He was the quarterback-in-waiting who might turn out to be Drew Brees or Cade McNown. Nobody knew for sure. And that was the easy part. He had been sitting in Green Bay behind Favre and here in '08 a spectacular soap opera had been unfolding. Favre was staying. Favre was retiring. Favre was being forced to retire. Favre would be made Rodgers's backup. The fan base was splintered. Rodgers, who just wanted to play, was stuck in the middle, a supporting player in a bizarre Favre World production (the first of many, as it turns out). It wasn't until seven days into August of that year that Favre was traded to the Jets and Rodgers fully became the starter.

A potentially great player replacing a legend in a city where the legend was beloved, inducing a civic and national drama? It was almost unique to the game. Almost. Two decades earlier, Steve Young had been through almost the same thing as Joe Montana's replacement with the 49ers. "It was pretty obvious that Aaron's experience and mine were going to dovetail at some point,'' says Young. And Rodgers knew it. He was a smart kid from Chico in northern California. He had watched (and loved) Montana. He had watched (and loved) Young. He knew the story. So he reached out.

"I think you can always learn from people,'' says Rodgers. ``I asked my agent to get Steve's number.''

Rodgers retold the story this week while sitting at his dressing cubicle in the Packers' locker room at Lambeau Field. Three years is a long time. Rodgers is no longer a curiosity. He will be the Packers' starting quarterback against the Steelers in the Super Bowl, and in three seasons and one remarkable postseason he has ascended to the level of the best quarterbacks in the game. But in '08, he needed counsel from someone who could understand his circumstances.

"I had always been a fan of Steve's,'' says Rodgers. "And back then, it seemed like he was somebody who would know exactly what I was going through. It's turned out that there were a lot of very similar stories from early in our careers.''

Young played one season in the doomed (but in his case, lucrative) USFL and two with the Bucs before coming to the 49ers in 1987, where he spent four seasons as Montana's backup. There are some differences in their career paths: Young was 30 when he succeeded Montana, who has injured. Rodgers was 25 when he took over for Favre, who was traded. And: "Aaron never had to play with Brett standing on the sidelines watching him,'' says Young, who played in front of Montana in 1992. But in other fundamental ways, they are mirror images.[img_r]http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2011/writers/tim_layden/01/28/rodgers/rodgers-favre.jpg[/img_r]

"You're an NFL quarterback, so there are very few other human beings who share that perspective,'' says Young, now 49 and working as an analyst for ESPN. "Then when you look at the specifics of Aaron's situation, the number of people who share that situation really starts to dwindle, who you can talk to and who can understand what you're going through.''

When they first communicated in '08, Rodgers laid out his issues for Young. "Basically what he said to me,'' says Young, "Was this: 'How did you deal with the rigors of having somebody like Brett -- in my case it was Joe -- being the king that he was and how he dominated the locker room conversations and day to day life around the team? Now I'm the quarterback and I'm trying to make a place for myself. How did you get through all that? How did you make sense of it?''

Young's most forceful advice was that Rodgers, essentially, keep his emotions in check. Don't criticize teammates or complain about the difficulty of walking in Favre's shoes. Don't throw anybody under the bus. Suck it up.

"I told that him what's really important,'' says Young, "is never, ever allow yourself the cheap thrill of saying something just to make yourself feel better for a moment because something is unfair or not right. That always backfires on you. It never works out in the long run. And I'll tell you what: I've given that advice to other people and they have not heeded it, because it's hard. But Aaron, he absolutely took the high road. He's managed through a tough situation in a really gracious, awesome way. There are things that he went through that no one knows about. Just do your job. Play football. And the benefits are great when you just hang tough. Don't play the victim. Don't complain.''

The Packers went an injury-riddled 6-10 in Rodgers's first year. Pressure mounted. The Pack went 11-5 last year, but lost twice to Favre and Vikings -- home and away -- and lost in the first round of the NFC playoffs (a game in which Rodgers was brilliant) while the Vikings went to overtime in the NFC title game. More pressure. Still Rodgers stayed cool. This year the Packers overcame 15 players on injured reserve, a negligible running game for stretches of the season, and reached the Super Bowl. Rodgers has been transcendent in the postseason.

Rodgers's maturity -- and, let's be honest, his production -- won the Green Bay locker room a long time ago. Players measure history when they're finished playing. Today they play in the present. Packers' veteran wideout Donald Drivers remembers telling Rodgers back in '08, "You know something? You handled this better than anybody else in this locker room would have handled it. Because when you're following in somebody else's shadow, it's so hard to overcome that. When I first came in, people said to me, `Donald, you remind me of Robert Brooks. But I said I don't want to be in the shadow of Robert Brooks. And that's Aaron's attitude right now.''

Rodgers has achieved this much as Young directed, without engaging in drama or controversy, without seeking empathy as he learned the nuances of his work. "I still routinely bounce things off Steve,'' says Rodgers. "He's a great reference for me. So many very similar situations, even now.''

There could be one more. Only once in NFL history has a Hall of Fame quarterback been succeeded by another Hall of Fame quarterback: Montana followed by Young. "I think Brett and Aaron will be the second,'' says Young. "[Rodgers] has a long way to go still, but that's the trajectory he's on.''

"Tim Layden" wrote:

Okay, folks ... lets get this out of our system. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Kingkoopa
13 years ago
Thanks for posting, great article, but I'm so sick and tired of the Favre-Rodgers talk. The Packers need to win on Sunday so this talk can die once and for all. I fear if we lose that we will constantly hear, "Rodgers can't win the big one".
blank
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I thought Rodgers was ready to start in '07. I thought he was a better option and would throw fewer critical Ints.

Too bad Favre didn't retire gracefully in '05 or '06. People could still like him and cheer for Rodgers without all this angst and acrimony.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Win a SB and it will be out of our system. I know this first hand. Was in SF for the Joe vs Steve fights.

You people in Green Bay think your situation is unique?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
macbob
13 years ago

Win a SB and it will be out of our system. I know this first hand. Was in SF for the Joe vs Steve fights.

You people in Green Bay think your situation is unique?

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Zombie-I figured it was over earlier this season, when the Packers were playing the Vikes.

Let me set the scenario: My 14-year old boy was watching the game in his Favre jersey (keep in mind, Favre was the QB of the Packers since he had been born, he had seen all of the drama of Favre losing his dad, which hit close to home emotionally, etc). He said going into the game that he hoped the Packers would win, but Favre would play well.

Favre got drilled on one play where he dropped back to pass, and my little boy jumped up and yelled "Take that, Favre!". If HE had gotten over it, I figured it was pretty much a dead horse at that point.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Zombie-I figured it was over earlier this season, when the Packers were playing the Vikes.

Let me set the scenario: My 14-year old boy was watching the game in his Favre jersey (keep in mind, Favre was the QB of the Packers since he had been born, he had seen all of the drama of Favre losing his dad, which hit close to home emotionally, etc). He said going into the game that he hoped the Packers would win, but Favre would play well.

Favre got drilled on one play where he dropped back to pass, and my little boy jumped up and yelled "Take that, Favre!". If HE had gotten over it, I figured it was pretty much a dead horse at that point.

"macbob" wrote:

I'm just speaking from experience. The things said about Steve over here pale in comparison to what has been said about Aaron. '94 changed everything. When Steve emerged with a Lombardi Trophy, everyone in SF was in his corner.

Funny story about your son though.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (19h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (22h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (22h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.