Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=5410§ion_id=40 

CHICAGO Afterward, Ted Thompson emerged from a tiny hallway and looked around the victorious visitors locker room, taking it all in.

He saw showboating, intercepting nose tackle B.J. Raji smiling, proudly modeling his new NFC Champions t-shirt. He heard special teams maven Jarrett Bush talking a mile a minute about the punt coverage. He watched Chad Clifton, one of only seven thirtysomethings on the 53-man roster, basking in the glow of the biggest victory of his 11-year NFL career. He watched quarterback Aaron Rodgers posing for a photo with team doctor Pat McKenzie, all smiles both. And he would have seen unflappable Sam Shields grinning from ear to ear, but the game-saving cornerback had been swallowed up by a throng of reporters and TV cameras.

Known for his stoic demeanor and milquetoast public persona, the Green Bay Packers general manager was asked what emotions were coursing through him after watching his team punch its ticket to Super Bowl XLV in North Texas with hard-fought a 21-14 victory over the NFC North rival Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

Thompson paused for a moment, and smiled.

You want me to cry? he said. I think I can.

Then, he paused again.

It just feels good to get the Packers back to the Super Bowl and be a part of this, said Thompson, who incurred the wrath of roughly half of the teams passionate fan base with his decision to trade unretiring quarterback Brett Favre in the summer of 2008. Ive always said the best part of my job was a winning locker room. And a winning locker room (when) you get to go to the Super Bowl is only succeeded by the one at the Super Bowl if you get to have a winning locker room there.

Our goals not to win this game. Our goal is to win the next one.

That next one will be on Feb. 6 in Arlington, Texas, where the Packers (13-6) the first team in NFC history to advance to the Super Bowl as a No. 6 seed, winning three consecutive playoff games on the road will face the AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers (14-4) for the Lombardi Trophy at Cowboys Stadium.

Im numb. Its a great feeling, said Packers coach Mike McCarthy, a born-and-bred Pittsburgher who directed his team to victory in five consecutive win-or-go-home games, including two regular-season victories over the New York Giants and the Bears to get them into the playoffs. Im just so proud of our football team.

Defense, special teams, people making plays down the stretch it was the typical Green Bay-Chicago game with everything on the line. Im very proud of our players and very proud of our coaches. Were fired up and getting ready to go to Dallas, Texas.

Theyre going there because of a defense that repeatedly came up with game-turning and game-saving plays, an offense that did just enough, and a special teams group that kept the Bears most dangerous player under wraps all game long a formula they used for much of the year while bouncing back from a 3-3 start and overcoming an avalanche of injuries that landed 15 players on season-ending injured reserve.

This year was just a different year, said Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who spent three years sitting the bench behind Favre and now in his third year as a starter is taking the franchise to its fifth Super Bowl and first since the 1997 season. We were 3-3 at one point. We won four in a row and then lost. We got hurt. We were 8-6, and we had to win five elimination games. And thats what makes it that much sweeter.

The way things started, it looked like the Packers might steamroll the Bears (12-6) on their slippery, sandy home field. Zinging darts to Greg Jennings (22, 26 yards) to start the drive and Jordy Nelson (22 yards) to set up first-and-goal, Rodgers capped a seven-play, 84-yard drive by sprinting to the left pylon on a play-action keeper to give the visitors a 7-0 lead after the Bears had won the toss and chosen to defer.

But it wasnt going to be that easy. Even after they expanded the lead to 14-0 on James Starks 4-yard touchdown run with 11:13 left in the first half, the Packers simply could not put the Bears away even after much-maligned quarterback Jay Cutler suffered a left knee injury and was unable to continue after the opening possession of the second half.

When you get down 14-0, thats tough 14-0 and you lose your starting quarterback, said Bears coach Lovie Smith, whose team split the regular-season series with the Packers, winning 20-17 at home in September before losing 10-3 at Lambeau Field in the regular-season finale. But our guys continued to fight, giving ourselves the chance to win the game at the end.

The Packers ineptitude had something to do with that. Driving for a potential score just before halftime, Rodgers low pass to wide receiver Donald Driver caromed off of Drivers left foot and into the arms of linebacker Lance Briggs for an interception at the Chicago 41-yard line, and while Shields interception on a Cutler deep ball to Johnny Knox two plays later prevented the Bears from closing the gap, the opportunity to score had been squandered.

We felt we had them on the ropes there for awhile, McCarthy said. We just couldnt get the game to a three-score game.

Then, on the packers first possession of the third quarter, Rodgers drove them to the Bears 6-yard line. Then, on third-and-goal, he inexplicably threw the ball right to linebacker Brian Urlacher, who picked it off and returned it 39 yards and might have gone for a touchdown had Rodgers not tripped Urlacher up.

It was a terrible throw. Once I threw it, I started sprinting, and I was hopeful that I was able to at least catch up to him, said Rodgers, who hadnt thrown an interception in playoff wins over Philadelphia and Atlanta. Im glad I got him down.

The Bears offense with backup Todd Collins at the helm failed to convert the turnover into points, however, going three-and-out. The Bears then went to emergency third quarterback Caleb Hanie in the final minute of the third quarter meaning Cutler and Collins could not return and Hanie directed an eight-play, 67-yard drive to get the Bears on the board with Chester Taylors 1-yard run with 12:02 left in the game.

When the Packers were forced to punt on their next two possessions, the Bears had every chance to tie the game. Instead, facing a third-and-5 at the Chicago 15 with 6:12 left, Hanie didnt see Raji dropping into coverage on a zone blitz, and when he tried to get the ball to running back Matt Forte in the left flat, Raji intervened and prematurely celebrated his interception all the way to the end zone on an 18-yard pick-six return to make it 21-7.

How fitting is it for the Green Bay Packers to win an NFC Championship with defense? the second-year nose tackle crowed afterward. For us to come out and play great defense, its a remarkable feeling.

And, it was necessary. Just when it looked like the Packers were in control, Hanie hit Earl Bennett for a 35-yard TD just four plays after Rajis score, and it was again a one-score game. And with the Packers offense still unable to get going, a three-and-out forced yet another punt.

We definitely didnt execute as well the second half, no question about that, said Clifton, who returned after suffering a neck stinger on the Packers opening offensive series. Give our defense credit, they played their butts off and kept us in the game.

And then, they won it. After punter Tim Masthay delivered a clutch perfectly placed, 58-yard, 4.13-second hang-time punt that flipped the field position from the Packers 24, the Bears had the ball at their own 29 with 2:53 to go. Then, Hanie converted a third-and-9 with a 10-yard completion to tight end Greg Olsen, and Taylor converted a fourth-and-1 at midfield.

But on fourth-and-5 from the Packers 29, Hanie went deep for Knox, only to see Shields snare his second interception of the game to send the Packers to Big D with a huge W.

Weve always felt that we are a very good football team. Now, we have a chance to achieve greatness (and) bring the Lombardi trophy back home, McCarthy said. Really, the way our season went, the trials and tribulations that we encountered, to me, that was how we were shaped. I think its made us a better football team. Its challenged our character. I think weve really grown through it.

Our players truly believe that we will be successful in Dallas, just like they truly believed that we were going to be successful here today. This was the path that was chosen for us, and I think its really shaped a hell of a football team.

"Jason Wilde" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
There are 6 teams with better regular season records who are no longer in it and 5 teams with more overall wins who are no longer in it. If the Packers win in two weeks, they'll end the season tied for most wins in the league despite having one more loss. That's pretty impressive.

The Packers are now 31-21 (0.596) overall in the Rodgers era. If they win it all, they'll be 32-21 (0.604) since he took the reins. Mike McCarthy is currently 48-32 (0.600). A Super Bowl victory would bring his record to 49-32 (0.605). Ted Thompson is currently 56-46 (0.549) and a Lombardi Trophy would leave him with a record of 57-46 (0.553).
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

There are 6 teams with better regular season records who are no longer in it and 5 teams with more overall wins who are no longer in it. If the Packers win in two weeks, they'll end the season tied for most wins in the league despite having one more loss. That's pretty impressive.

The Packers are now 31-21 (0.596) overall in the Rodgers era. If they win it all, they'll be 32-21 (0.604) since he took the reins.
Mike McCarthy is currently 48-32 (0.600). A Super Bowl victory would bring his record to 49-32 (0.605).
Ted Thompson is currently 56-46 (0.549) and a Lombardi Trophy would leave him with a record of 57-46 (0.553).

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Does that include the Patriots game he didn't play?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I didn't say "with Rodgers at the helm" -- I said "in the Rodgers era" for a reason. 😛
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I didn't say "with Rodgers at the helm" -- I said "in the Rodgers era" for a reason. :P

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Weak.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
The Packers are now 30-21 (0.588) overall in games in which Rodgers has started. If they win it all, they'll be 31-21 (0.596) since he took the reins. So either way you look at it, McCarthy's overall winning percentage is marginally higher than Rodgers'.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

The Packers are now 31-21 (0.596) overall in the Rodgers era. If they win it all, they'll be 32-21 (0.604) since he took the reins.

Mike McCarthy is currently 48-32 (0.600). A Super Bowl victory would bring his record to 49-32 (0.605).

Ted Thompson is currently 56-46 (0.549) and a Lombardi Trophy would leave him with a record of 57-46 (0.553).

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The Packers are now 30-21 (0.588) overall in games in which Rodgers has started.

If they win it all, they'll be 31-21 (0.596) since he took the reins.

So either way you look at it, McCarthy's overall winning percentage is marginally higher than Rodgers'.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I'm confused. Packers lost the one game Rodgers didn't start, but in the Rodgers Era (which does not mean he started but was on the team) you have 31 wins and under the 'helm' of Rodgers, its 30 wins?

I'm royally sucking at understanding and math lately.

2008 6 - 10
2009 11 - 5 0 - 1
2010 10 - 5 3 - 0

30 - 21 with Rodgers starting, including playoffs
30 - 22 since Rodgers took over, includes one game he did not start.

???
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Yes, I made a mistake with the math, which I realized as I was laying in bed last night. And I knew equally as certainly that you would be sure to write a post calling me on it.

Sorry I decided not to get up at 1:30 in the morning to correct a single digit.

If you'd let it go, I would have fixed it this morning, but just for that, I'm letting my post stand. :violent3:
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.