Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Interesting...

Undercover MVPs: The Packers pass-protecting backs
January 21st, 2011 | Author: Sam Monson

Aaron Rodgers is on fire, we know that by now.

Josh Sitton is playing like an All-Pro guard, weve told you guys that enough already.

But as the Packers stand a game away from a return to the Super Bowl, its time some credit was given to a group of Green Bay players whose excellence this season has gone a long way to helping Rodgers and the passing game as much as anyone else has the running backs.

And while theyve done a decent job running the ball, its their pass-blocking that really sets them apart.

Green Bay is a team that likes to throw the ball, and with a quarterback like Rodgers, why not? They also spread teams out with as many receivers as they can get away with. The ability of the half backs and full backs in Green Bay to pass protect and pick up the blitz is of paramount importance, more than in other offenses around the league. Thats why the performance of a somewhat makeshift stable of backs in that regard is so impressive. Pass protection for backs is supposed to be the hardest part of the gig at the NFL level. The actual running the ball part is comparatively easy.

Aaron Rodgers dropped back to pass on 538 occasions in 2010, and (leaving out Ryan Grant and Dimitri Nance, who barely played), the Packers had five backs that combined for 320 snaps in pass protection. That in itself is not an impressive figure, but those backs combined to account for just two sacks, and three further pressures on the quarterback.

Their blocking grades:

Brandon Jackson (+3.5)
John Kuhn (+3.4)
Korey Hall (+2.6)
Quinn Johnson (+1.3)
James Starks (+0.8)

How impressive is that? Consider that of the 78 halfbacks/fullbacks to play 25 percent or more of snaps this year, less than half of them graded positively as blockers. And yet all five Green Bay backs managed to do it.

No one back allowed more than a single sack (Brandon Jackson and Korey Hall both gave up one), and no back totaled more than three total pressures conceded (Brandon Jackson gave up a sack and a pair of additional pressures, but from the greatest number of snaps pass protecting 114).

Lets put that into some meaningful numbers for you. The Green Bay backs gave up pressure on just 1.6% of plays they were pass protecting for in 2010. They surrendered pressure once every 63.2 snaps in pass protection. They averaged just under 20 snaps per game in pass protection over the season (19.75), meaning they combined to average more than three games between giving up pressure. Weve seen games where backs have given up multiple sacks in a single game, and the Packers have a stable of backs unknown to many who have gone the season averaging more than three games between giving up any recordable pressure.

The good news continues into the postseason. Four backs have combined for 43 snaps in pass protection, and they have yet to surrender a single pressure on the quarterback.

Aaron Rodgers will be getting all the headlines in this game, but take a moment of your time to watch the performance of his backs helping to protect him.

Itll be worth it.

"Profootballfocus" wrote:

This is a placeholder
13 years ago
B J Raji
blank
Rockmolder
13 years ago
It's something that, I think, most of us knew about, but something we take for granted.

I've heared people say "I want a runner, if we want to block, we'll put another FB in", but a running back who can block gives you so much versatility and it's such a help in the passing game.
Dulak
13 years ago

It's something that, I think, most of us knew about, but something we take for granted.

I've heared people say "I want a runner, if we want to block, we'll put another FB in", but a running back who can block gives you so much versatility and it's such a help in the passing game.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

<<< This +1 (wtf I wrote "T.h.i.s. +.1.") and it wrote the word slapnuts down?)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
The backs have done an excellent job of helping out. I wonder how many times they had a TE in the backfield as well? Just wondering.
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago

"Dulak" wrote:

<<< This Slapnuts (wtf I wrote "T.h.i.s. +.1.") and it wrote the word slapnuts down?)

"Rockmolder" wrote:

What you must do, Dulak, is embrace the SLAPNUTS!
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (2h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (2h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (19h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (20h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (23h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (23h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.