bozz_2006
13 years ago
I 100% do not buy the idea that a certain official or a certain crew has it in for a certain team. In my opinion that's BS. And if you disagree then I'd kindly ask you to remove your tinfoil helmet, get yourself out of your mom's basement, and come join the rest of us in the real world. No excuses; we played one of the ugliest games I can remember in GB vs CHI round 1 this year.

Play hard. Play smart. If you get flagged for something, don't do it again. And expect a few bad calls. It happens. Don't let your team play itself into that type of situation, and the officials won't decide it. The only way an official decides the game is if we force them to. I can practically guarantee you that the officials hate when that happens even more than we do.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
13 years ago
The team has not have had any mental lapses for penalties...Hell Shields 1st one was vs Atlanta...They guy played 18 games and only one flag..

I dont expect this crew to change that
Dulak
13 years ago
this isnt good IMO - 18 penalties is what cost us that game. And penalties are subjective and IMO we did not deserve 18 penalties ...

I better not be seeing any undeserved penalties
Yerko
  • Yerko
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
The fact is, there were penalties called that could have gone either way and this officiating crew is a pretty tight knit group.

Do I think we will see a repeat of week 3? Hell no.

We have a much better disciplined team since then. Looking at this made me pull up some stats (I love stats).

Week 4- 3-31 yards
Week 5- 4-28 yards
Week 6- 7-45 yards
Week 7- 2-20 yards
Week 8- 7-55 yards
Week 9- 2-20 yards
Week 11- 6-50 yards
Week 12- 4-50 yards
Week 13- 5-40 yards
Week 14- 6-35 yards
Week 15- 7-52 yards
Week 16- 3-31 yards
Week 17- 4-30 yards
WC- 7-50 yards
Div- 7-32 yards

Not to bad since week 3. Packers also went from one of the most penalized in 2009 to one of the least in 2010. I like those stats.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
G Force is right. Here is the story to go with it. 

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Packers coach Mike McCarthy would emphasize penalties in practice and talk about discipline, only to watch the yellow flags fly again the following Sunday.

More than three years' worth of Packers penalty problems hit an all-time low in Week 3 this season, a miserable 18-penalty performance in a loss at Chicago. Even recently, McCarthy said watching film of that game still makes him sick.

Since then, one of the NFL's most penalty-prone teams suddenly became one of its most disciplined.

Green Bay ended the regular season with 78 accepted penalties, tying for third-best in the league.

"It's all coaching," McCarthy jokingly said Wednesday. "Players had nothing to do with it."

Kidding aside, McCarthy said players knew something had to change.

"We've taken a different path this year," McCarthy said. "They've had a lot of adversity, and they've done really a great job of buckling down on the discipline penalties."

Every time the Packers lost a significant player to injury this season, their margin of error grew smaller. If they continued piling up penalties as they had in the past, they might be sitting at home right now instead of preparing to play Saturday night's NFC Divisional Playoff Game at Atlanta.

Now the bad news for the Packers: The team they're playing has even better discipline.

The Falcons committed just 58 penalties this season -- tops in the NFL by a significant margin, as the second-best Miami Dolphins had 72.

"We've emphasized special teams penalties because they're spot fouls, and even though they may only be a 5- or a 10-yard penalty, they're spot fouls and they're very penal," Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "The other thing that we focus on is penalties in the fourth quarter of a game. Games in this league, 51 percent of them come down to eight points or less for the entire season (and) 25 percent come down to three points or less. I think it's very important that you don't have critical penalties in the fourth quarter."

McCarthy is impressed with the Falcons' team-wide discipline.

"It's just not one phase or two phases," he said. "They are a football team that really stays on schedule as far as what they try to do and how they do it. They are very fundamentally sound. I really appreciate the way they have been coached because it shows up on film."

And finally, McCarthy is seeing some of the same things from his own team.

Going into the 2010 season, Green Bay was among the NFL's five most frequently penalized teams for three consecutive seasons. The Packers were the league's most-penalized team last season with 118.

"We always tell the guys on offense, this is not a complicated game," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "If you're going backwards, it's tough to score."

This season, the reductions came across the board:

On defense, the Packers committed 15 fewer penalties in the 2010 regular season than they did in 2009. A major improvement came on face-mask penalties; Green Bay had eight defensive face-mask penalties in 2009 and just two this season.

On offense, Green Bay had 13 fewer penalties than in 2009. The reduction came despite the Packers actually having one more false start on offense this season than they did last season.

Green Bay's special teams had 12 fewer penalties than last season.

There was a huge reduction in special-teams holding calls. Green Bay had a whopping 14 holding calls on special teams in 2009, but just three this season.

"When we began back in the spring, that was something that we identified that we needed to change," Packers special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum said. "We put the process in motion, and I think we've seen the results of it."

Green Bay's disciplined play continued in Sunday's playoff victory at Philadelphia, in which the Packers had just two penalties accepted against them.

Philbin said the improvement began in the offseason but really took hold after what he calls the "disaster night in Chicago," the 18-penalty outing in a Sept. 27 loss to the Bears.

"I think we made a bigger emphasis," Philbin said. "I know we did offensively. I know Coach did as a team. I think we probably made more of a point of it, and the guys responded."

Defensive back Jarrett Bush, one of Green Bay's key special teams players, said avoiding penalties is critical -- but the Packers can't be caught playing tentatively and worrying too much about the referees.

"We've just got to worry about playing football," Bush said. "Some calls can be questionable, some calls are accurate. We just worry about playing football, let the refs do the reffing and make the calls that they make."

UserPostedImage
IronMan
13 years ago
What Bozz said.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
The good news is once GB beats the Bears it will be Walt Anderson's crew  in the SB. His crew is lower middle of the pack for penalties.

Super Bowl

6:30 To be determined Walt Anderson

but we have to wait before we get into that issue.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
13 years ago
Well- OK then, except I'm not comin' off the tinfoil helmet for anyone.
Pack93z
13 years ago
You stated tinfoil hats.. reminded me of an oldie.. Cheesey and VR.

UserPostedImage
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Well- OK then, except I'm not comin' off the tinfoil helmet for anyone.

"dfosterf" wrote:

good. that's how germs are spread. :crab:
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (21h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (22h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
58m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.