Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/113860874.html 

Green Bay Rookie James Starks, a sensation against the Philadelphia Eagles, looked like just another running back Saturday night in the Green Bay Packers' 48-21 victory over the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC divisional playoffs.

Starks carried 25 times and gained 66 yards, a paltry 2.6-yard average that paled in comparison to his 23 carries, 123 yards, 5.3 average six days earlier in Philadelphia.

"I'm a lot better than that," Starks said. "My standards for myself are a lot higher. I've got to pick my legs up. Break more tackles. I've got to break the big one."

Four of Starks' carries were for minus yardage, four for no gain and four for a gain of 1 yard. His long rush was 13 yards.

"That's something I have to look at," said Starks when asked if he missed any holes. "I think I could have done better."

Counting playoffs, Starks has rushed 77 times for 290 yards (3.8) and no touchdowns.

Moving up: The Jets' Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha, who won't be back with Oakland in 2011, probably would be the choice of scouts as the league's top cornerbacks.

After intercepting two more passes Saturday night, Tramon Williams was asked if he had played better than any cornerback in 2010.

"I think it's definitely up for argument," Williams said. "Obviously, those guys have big names. But on the film, I guess you could say . . . "

One of the marks of cornerback play is interception total. Williams has nine, including three in the playoffs. Neither Revis nor Asomugha had an interception this season.

Revis and Asomugha were joined by New England's Devin McCourty on the AFC Pro Bowl team. The NFC selections were the Packers' Charles Woodson, the Eagles' Asante Samuel and the Redskins' DeAngelo Hall.

"Tramon is catching balls over receivers that are 6-4, 6-5," nose tackle B.J. Raji said. "I mean, who's really doing that in this league? Not many."

First ever:Counting playoffs, Greg Jennings has played 80 games with 71 starts. The first lost fumble of his career came on the Packers' third play from scrimmage.

Jennings broke free in the middle, turning a short third and 13 pass into a 30-yard gain, before he was stripped from behind by linebacker Stephen Nicholas. Cornerback Brent Grimes recovered.

"We saw quite a bit on film that they had holes in their secondary, and we were going to try to exploit it as much as possible," said Jennings. "On that particular play we got it, exploited it and I lost the ball in the process."

Jennings' only other fumbles of the season (two) came against Atlanta. From 2006-'09, he had been charged with three fumbles.

"We feel like we can get after anybody," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter who we play."

Rodgers redux: On Sunday, Falcons coach Mike Smith conducted his normal day-after press briefing. He said that only once before in his 12-year NFL coaching career had he encountered a quarterback as hot as Aaron Rodgers. It was New England's Tom Brady.

"We had four opportunities to get the quarterback on the ground," said Smith. "The penalty on the third-down sack (second quarter) changed the whole complexion of the football game.

"Aaron had a good game. Mike McCarthy had a good game plan. Their receivers caught the ball and we didn't play up to our level as a team. It's something you run into."

Defensive end John Abraham, who beat Chad Clifton inside for one of the Falcons' two sacks, blamed himself for blowing two other sack chances on third-and-long situations.

"We just didn't do a good job containing him," said Abraham. "Whatever we did, it didn't work."

Said cornerback Dunta Robinson: "I don't know who that team was. We picked the wrong time to play our worst game of the year.

"(Rodgers) did some amazing things. He was unbelievable. He was in a zone. He felt that there wasn't anything he couldn't do. When any player on the professional level gets in a zone like that, they are going to be tough to stop."

Raji said one of the differences between Rodgers and Matt Ryan was offensive philosophy.

"To be honest, I feel our offensive coaches have more confidence in Aaron," said Raji. "They both can throw the ball. Recently, they opened up the offense for Aaron. For whatever reason. Maybe it's because he's better. I don't know. But I know one thing: I'm happy we have him on my team."

In the third quarter, the Packers opened with a sack and short completion to set up third and 13. Under heavy pressure, Rodgers escaped and found James Jones for 15 yards.

"Third play, we leave a guy free off the edge, somehow the Lord was helping me with eyes in the back of my head today," said Rodgers. "I was able to spin out and make a great play. After that first down, we got rolling."

On a roll: In the last decade, only two teams in playoff games scored more than the Packers did against Atlanta.

In a pair of wild-card games, Indianapolis beat Denver, 49-24, after the 2004 season and Arizona beat Green Bay, 51-45, after the 2009 season. In the Super Bowl after the 2002 season, Tampa Bay downed Oakland, 48-21.

"I think the only team that could have beaten us tonight was us," safety Charlie Peprah said. "Things didn't go our way early but everybody just kind of kept playing."

"If we keep playing like this we'll be there," Raji said, referring to the Super Bowl. "We're a very good team.

"A lot of people were on our bandwagon last week. Everybody's going to be a Packers fan this week. We just have to stay the course and keep focused. Everything will take care of itself."

Looking back: The Packers lined up 13 starters Saturday night that also started in the overtime playoff loss to the Cardinals last January. They were favored by three points before a poor start and bad finish doomed them.

"Last year, we went against a team we felt like we were going to beat, but we didn't," said Jenkins. "A lot of people realized how real the playoffs are and how much you have to bring it because everybody steps it up to another level.

"I think the guys understand that now and we're bringing it to another level."

"Bob McGinn" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago
nice article
musccy
13 years ago
I disagree with the suggestion that Starks bonked. If you have 4 runs for negative yardage, that's typically not the fault of the RB. He was able to break a few, provide a threat to make play action work, and still showed he can get to the edge (something Kuhn and Bjack can't do effectively).
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Again, I love stats, but with those negative yards, no gains, did he miss the hole or was he attacked at the time he received the hand-off?

I wish I had more time and got paid to analyze this stuff more thoroughly.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
All I have to say is I look forward to hearing Soldier Field erupting with roars of KUUUUUUHHHHN on Sunday.
UserPostedImage
musccy
13 years ago

Again, I love stats, but with those negative yards, no gains, did he miss the hole or was he attacked at the time he received the hand-off?

I wish I had more time and got paid to analyze this stuff more thoroughly.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yeah, I frankly don't know, but generally I give the RB a "pass" if they have -yards...you have to be Darrell Thompson-slow to the line for it to be your 'fault' for getting hit in the backfield.
Pack93z
13 years ago
I thought the rookie that struggled more Saturday was Shields more so than Starks.

Shields got turned around and played with is back to the ball several times that I caught in the first viewing of the game.

Starks had a solid night IMO.. I was especially impressed with his blitz pickups and blocking.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
musccy
13 years ago

I thought the rookie that struggled more Saturday was Shields more so than Starks.

Shields got turned around several times that I caught in the first viewing of the game.

Starks had a solid night IMO.. I was especially impressed with his blitz pickups and blocking.

"Pack93z" wrote:

I actually thought that was who the reference would be about when I opened the thread, but even though he was a little lost on the PI, I still feel he played a pretty damn good game.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Considering the penalty Shields incurred against the Falcons was his first penalty of the season, I'm inclined to give him a pass for his performance that night. I believe he'll show up en force against the Bears.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
I am not saying he played awfully.. what I am saying is if I were to pick rookie out that looked the part Saturday night at times.. it would have been Shields.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
beast (1m) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (1m) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

20h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.