Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/113049054.html 

Green Bay James Starks has had some ups and downs since being activated from the physically unable to perform list Nov. 9, and the rookie recently admitted he needed to improve his practice habits.

But running backs coach Edgar Bennett stressed Thursday that there was nothing wrong with Starks' work ethic.

Bennett said Starks was a hard worker who was still learning how to practice in the detail-oriented NFL.

"He has a tremendous work ethic," Bennett said. "The kid comes in early and leaves late. It's not a question of work ethic, so let's nip that in the bud. It's just more the detail of it. It's a process, just like anything else."

Starks rushed for 73 yards in his NFL debut against San Francisco on Dec. 5, gained just 8 yards in six carries against Detroit the next week and then was inactive against New England (Dec. 19) and the New York Giants (Dec. 26).

He got back on the field last week and performed well in spot duty against Chicago, gaining 20 yards in five carries and catching two passes for 15 yards.

It wouldn't be a shock if he saw even more playing time against the Philadelphia Eagles in an NFC wild-card playoff game Sunday.

"Keep in mind this is a young kid who is still continuing to grow and continuing to develop," Bennett said. "Each and every one of our backs, they have a role and when their number is called they'll jump in and respond."

Does Starks have what it takes to be an every-down back someday?

"He certainly has all the capabilities of being that guy," Bennett said. "He's talented."

Looking good: Defensive end Cullen Jenkins, inactive the last four games with a calf injury, practiced for a second straight day and appeared to move well in all the drills.

Barring a setback, it appears he'll play Sunday.

"Cullen Jenkins is making progress," coach Mike McCarthy said. "He practiced today a little more than he did yesterday. Went through some of the team drills. . . . We're going to take the full week of preparation and have a decision at the end of the week. He's getting better."

Running out of time: On the other hand, fullback Korey Hall (knee) did not practice.

"His chances are decreasing to be ready for the game," McCarthy said.

Linebacker Frank Zombo (knee) and safety Atari Bigby (groin) also did not practice and likely won't play.

Rookie tackle Marshall Newhouse, who was put on injured reserve last week with a back injury, said he was told that rest probably would relieve the pain. He said surgery was not one of the options.

"There's nothing to think there will be a problem in the future," Newhouse said. "I just have to make sure I take my time and do it the right way. I'll be back in action as soon as possible."

In Philadelphia, three players missed practice with injuries: guards Todd Herremans (calf) and Max Jean-Gilles (ankle) and linebacker Stewart Bradley (elbow).

Masthay ties record: Punter Tim Masthay said he tied the Packers' record for net punting average in a season (since the NFL officially started tracking the statistic in 1976).

He finished the regular season with a 37.6 net average on 71 punts (43.9 gross).

"We're excited about that," Masthay said. "That's kind of a tribute to all the guys on the punt team and Shawn (Slocum, the special teams coordinator)."

Over the last three games, all outside and in temperatures of 32 degrees or colder, Masthay's net averages were 38.5, 39.0 and 36.6.

K-u-u-u-h-n: Seems the "K-u-u-u-h-n" chant started by fans at Lambeau Field is infectious. Now, running back John Kuhn is hearing it in team meetings.

"He gets it quite a bit," receiver Greg Jennings said. "He's probably tired of hearing it in the meetings. We just do the chant. We've become fans like everybody else: 'K-u-u-u-h-n.' John is a great player to watch. He doesn't disappoint, that's for sure."

Vick the slick: Eagles' quarterback Michael Vick has such a unique skill set as a passer-runner that cornerback Tramon Williams said the Packers couldn't really simulate him in practice.

Asked who on the team could most closely impersonate Vick, Williams thought for several seconds, laughed and said, "Oh, man, nobody. You just have to go with your scheme and hope it works on game day."

OT rules: The new playoff overtime rules say that if the team that wins the coin flip does not score a touchdown, the other team must possess or "have an opportunity to possess" the ball.

An opportunity to possess only occurs on kicking plays. Here are some of the scenarios that would involve an opportunity to possess:

If the team that kicks a field goal on its opening possession recovers the ball on the ensuing kickoff, the game is over (the other team had an opportunity to possess).

If the team that kicks off first recovers an onsides kick, sudden death goes into effect.

If the first team punts and the other team muffs it, sudden death goes into effect.

If the first team misses a field goal and the other team muffs it, sudden death goes into effect.

UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago
Great article. It's good to see that Bennett is building Starks up instead of tearing him down. Also great to hear that we should expect Cullen to play. I think it is something we all expected, but to see it written, that is great news.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I think that Frank Zombo will be given another chance next year, but it looks like Korey Hall and Atari Bigby are sitting their way right off this roster. I can't complain. It would clear up the logjam at fullback and give the Packers a chance to evaluate some more safety talent.

I am concerned about Marshall Newhouse though. Back injuries have a way of lingering (see: Harrell, Justin). I hope it's a minor tweak that the rigors of practice wouldn't let fully heal and that a few weeks of offseason will restore him to health. He is one of our promising candidates and I don't want to lose him to something ridiculous.

What is that now, Foster? 17 men on IR?
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

17 men on IR?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

17 guys on IR isn't even that many, compared to how many other teams have/had. The injury bug was a problem early on, but not anymore, other teams are hurt as hell too (except the Falcons and Bears, who have no starters on IR).
This is a placeholder
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I don't know if it's "that many" or not, so I wasn't trying to assign a value judgment to it. I'm just trying to keep track of the number in my head.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
13 years ago
I think it's a lot, especially considering how many key contributors are on that list. The Colts are in rough shape too.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
13 years ago
17 people is a significant amount of players on IR. No question about it. Doesn't mean it's an excuse, but it's still significant.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
56  	 Barnett, Nick   	LB  	6-2  	236	29	 8  	Oregon State
	Bell, Josh 	CB 	5-11 	177	25	3 	Baylor
42 	Burnett, Morgan 	S 	6-1 	209	21	R 	Georgia Tech
54 	Chillar, Brandon 	LB 	6-3 	237	28	7 	UCLA
88 	Finley, Jermichael 	TE 	6-5 	247	23	3 	Texas
25 	Grant, Ryan 	RB 	6-1 	222	28	4 	Notre Dame
91 	Harrell, Justin 	DE 	6-4 	315	26	4 	Tennessee
41 	Havner, Spencer 	TE 	6-3 	250	27	2 	UCLA
59 	Jones, Brad 	LB 	6-3 	242	24	2 	Colorado
29 	Martin, Derrick 	S 	5-10 	198	25	5 	Wyoming
96 	Neal, Mike 	DE 	6-3 	294	23	R 	Purdue
74 	Newhouse, Marshall 	G/T 	6-4 	319	22	R 	Texas Christian
51 	Poppinga, Brady 	LB 	6-3 	250	31	6 	Brigham Young
27 	Smith, Anthony 	S 	6-0 	200	27	5 	Syracuse
65 	Tauscher, Mark 	T 	6-3 	320	33	11 	Wisconsin

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
1 - RB
2 - OL
2 - TE
1 - CB
3 - S
2 - DE
4 - LB

5 on offense (3 starters)
10 on defense (3 starters)

And our defense has been far more consistent and reliable than the offense.

Missing DE due to suspension too
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
6 starters are the most of the playoff teams. But the Colts (5), Patriots (5) and Eagles (4) have been hit hard by injuries too, so injuries are not an excuse.
This is a placeholder
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.