go.pack.go.
13 years ago

By Mike Spofford

Posted Dec 21, 2010

Earlier this season, when nose tackle B.J. Raji was playing an unexpectedly large number of snaps due to injuries along the defensive front, there was some concern he might get worn down late in the season.

But Raji looked no worse for wear in Week 15 against New England last Sunday, putting together perhaps the best performance of his young career, considering his competition across the line.

Matched up for a good portion of the evening against Patriots guard Logan Mankins, a two-time Pro Bowler, Raji more than held his own and penetrated New Englands backfield on multiple occasions. He recorded the first two-sack game of his career, stuffed running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis twice for no gain, and had a 3-yard tackle for loss on Green-Ellis wiped out when the Packers accepted a holding penalty on the Patriots.

They had a good battle, defensive line coach Mike Trgovac said. B.J. won his share, and (Mankins) won his. On a couple of those (big plays), he was on the move, so hes not waiting for where the block goes. When he gets that chance to go, hes disruptive like that.

By on the move, Trgovac means defensive coordinator Dom Capers calls had Raji slanting at the snap to one side or the other into gaps, rather than sitting and anchoring in the middle. Capers will do that with his down linemen to change things up, or as a game-plan decision depending on the opponents offensive line scheme, and it can allow Raji to use more of his short-area quickness to get off blocks.

On both of his sacks, Raji exploded through openings to get to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. On one of them, the Patriots made a protection adjustment against a blitz and mistakenly left running back Danny Woodhead alone to block Raji. The 195-pound Woodhead didnt stand a chance against the 340-pound Raji.

I was just trying to play hard and trust the guys around me, Raji said. Those guys were getting pressure, making Brady step up and stuff like that. I just kept working and executing some moves Ive been working on.

Rajis workload continues to be high, but its hard to get him off the field. Right before his second sack against the Patriots, Trgovac tried to send Jarius Wynn in to give Raji a breather, but Trgovac said Raji waved him off.

Trgovac has given Raji the latitude to do that if hes feeling OK. In that instance, the Packers had possessed the ball for the first 10 minutes of the third quarter the Patriots had returned an interception for a touchdown earlier in the quarter, so their offense hadnt gotten the ball yet and it was just the third play of New Englands ensuing series. Including the halftime break, Raji had gotten at least a half-hour rest, so he was fine.

But Trgovac has remained conscious of Rajis snap count as it has climbed this season. In the first six games, he nearly matched his snap total from all of his rookie 2009 season, and he continues to be the workhorse of the defensive line this year. He leads the unit in tackles and is the only lineman to start every game. His career-high 5 sacks rank third on the team and second among the linemen behind Cullen Jenkins seven.

Evaluating myself as his position coach, I look at it and say, Where are the opportunities I can take him out of the game? Trgovac said. (Sunday) was one of those games he wasnt overly tired. Obviously Id love to have him out there, but I dont want to wear him down as well. When we get back on Sunday night or Monday morning and I look at the plays he played, Im always looking for opportunities to give him a rest. But hes always such a comfort zone for me because hes playing at such a high level.

Capers used a similar word, saying its comforting to have a player with the size and agility of Raji as the all-important nose tackle in his 3-4 defense. Capers said hes not as concerned about Raji wearing down from his workload because hes just a second-year guy as opposed to a 10-year veteran, and he believes its the amount of work Raji has put in work he didnt get as a rookie when he missed part of training camp due to his contract situation, injured his ankle in the last preseason game, and then played more end than nose tackle upon returning that has helped make him such an impact player.

B.J. has played consistent for us all year, Capers said. Im just pleased that hes been able to stay on the field and stay healthy, and hes improved because of that. I think some of the plays you saw him make (Sunday) night was a result of that.

That Rajis big game came at New England was interesting in several respects. First, a Boston College alum, he was playing for the first time as a pro in front of some of the same fans who cheered him on in college.

Second, the game was a prime-time broadcast on national television less than a week before all of the NFLs players and coaches, who count as two-thirds of the process, will cast their Pro Bowl votes (the rosters will be announced next Tuesday). And third, he performed like that against Patriots players whose own teammate, nose tackle Vince Wilfork, is a two-time Pro Bowler considered the gold standard at the position.

Whether or not Raji, a first-round draft pick (No. 9 overall) last year, has earned enough respect around the league to pile up Pro Bowl votes is difficult to say. But Trgovac believes its only a matter of time.

B.J. will be there at some point in his career, Trgovac said. Sometimes it takes a couple years.

If B.J. keeps working and doing what he does and has games like that on national TV, hell get his due process, because hes a big physical guy. I think the players when they vote, they know who they have a rough time blocking and who they dont have a rough time blocking.

Working against Raji is the fact that theres no specific nose tackle spot on the Pro Bowl roster, so hes judged against all defensive tackles and some 3-4 ends who are viewed as tackles. Also, Wilfork (a first-round draft pick in 2004) didnt make his first Pro Bowl until his fourth season, a reflection of Trgovacs point that the recognition doesnt come overnight.

Vince has been in the league for a long time, so obviously hes seen a lot more snaps than B.J., Capers said. I do think this from Year 1 to Year 2, B.J. has made great strides. Hes certainly a big part of our defense now, and I think hes going to be a big part of our defense moving ahead.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rajis-Impact-Remains-On-The-Rise/7fe68d83-e641-4036-852c-8ffd4af58ae5 
UserPostedImage
sorrule
13 years ago
He's a beast. I hope he starts to get more credit and recognition.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago
He's been great all year, and lately he's been better than Clay Matthews.
blank
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
Honestly, I think he's been the most consistent player on our defense all year.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
Clay is taking so much heat the other guys, including Raji, get more one on ones.

Next year we are going to have trouble keeping all the good linemen we have. Jenkins, Raji, Jolly, Pickett, Green and Neal.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Greg C.
13 years ago

Clay is taking so much heat the other guys, including Raji, get more one on ones.

Next year we are going to have trouble keeping all the good linemen we have. Jenkins, Raji, Jolly, Pickett, Green and Neal.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

What about Justin Harrell? I'm sure he'll be back, and healthy as a horse.

I don't want to think about next year yet, but it will be nice to get Neal back and maybe Jolly as well. And C.J. Wilson has been pretty decent, so he may be in the mix too.
blank
porky88
13 years ago
Raji is quietly emerging as one of the best nose tackles in the game. His pass rush is pretty rare for a player his size.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
First the pedant's point. It's not possible to "remain on the rise." "Remain" is a verb that describes stasis, not increase. Continues to rise, yes. "keeps rising", yes. But not remains.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Now to the real point -- okay, I'll agree that Raji has had moments where he's looked great. And he had a fantastic game against New England.

But he still has a long way to go before we should be talking of him as one of the best in the game. He's not even the best nose tackle on the Packers yet. (I don't care if the Packers have switched Pickett outside, he's still better at the point of attack than Raji is.) Raji has too many plays where he ends up 2-5 yards off the line of scrimmage...in the wrong direction.

I like Raji. But he's still has an awful lot of his craft to learn before he deserves a "one of the best" label.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
millertime
13 years ago

First the pedant's point. It's not possible to "remain on the rise." "Remain" is a verb that describes stasis, not increase. Continues to rise, yes. "keeps rising", yes. But not remains.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Now to the real point -- okay, I'll agree that Raji has had moments where he's looked great. And he had a fantastic game against New England.

But he still has a long way to go before we should be talking of him as one of the best in the game. He's not even the best nose tackle on the Packers yet. (I don't care if the Packers have switched Pickett outside, he's still better at the point of attack than Raji is.) Raji has too many plays where he ends up 2-5 yards off the line of scrimmage...in the wrong direction.

I like Raji. But he's still has an awful lot of his craft to learn before he deserves a "one of the best" label.

"Wade" wrote:

There's been games this years where he's been lining up next to CJ Wilson, Jarius Wynn, Mike Montgomery, and TJ Lang (gasp!). Who do you think the opposing o-linemen are going to focus on? He gets props from me because he's been healthy, which was a concern for him last year. He's our anchor.
Pack93z
13 years ago
Last season, Raji at times would be blown back off the line at a noticeable pace.

This season, you rarely see him get pushed off, the guy is a freaking stud in the middle. And now.. with him getting some pass rush push more consistently.. yes he is beginning to get into the discussion of the head of the class at NT.

Collapsing a pocket from the inside out has been said to be the most disruptive to a QB.. if so.. when Jenkins, Jolly and Raji all can be on the line.. I pity the headache they will cause.

And yes that statement is optimistic that both Jolly and Jenkins are in GB next season.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.