Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
A Marine giving advice to "join the Air Force".

Sorry, I just had to laugh.

Now I have to go out and tell some college students to be English majors.

:)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
istanbulpacker
13 years ago

2. (I don't have any figures to back this up, so this is a gut feeling based on second hand observation with a historian's eye.) What percentage of the Army/Navy/Air Force enlistees that get past basic training will end up re-upping for 2 or more terms? What percentage of Marines who get past boot camp will? What percentage of each group will group will go career? What percentage will go "career soldier" rather than "career (insert job description here)? I would expect -- and again, I could be wrong -- that if one did a careful empirical investigation, you'd find the percentages rather different.

"Wade" wrote:

I'll take a stab at this. I don't have the figures but the Marine Personnel folks would. So would the recruiters. After all, this is their job. Here are my thoughts. The Marine Corps has a structure that requires X% Officers and Y% Enlisted. Each other service has their own ratio. Last I saw, Marines had a higher number of Enlisted to Officer (~8:1 ), then Navy & Army about the same (5.5:1), then Air Force where it is near 4:1. For each paygrade within the service, there is a target number of personnel they desire.

Why bring this up? Because the percentage of folks staying in or getting out is not based solely on the individual. If you don't promote, you may be forced out due to high year tenure. Put simply, either your career field is too overmanned or you suck enough that we don't need you anymore. Move along so we can let the next generation move up. It is referred to as "move up or move out." You may want to give your life to the Corps, but if you meet the criteria above, they'll say thank you for playing and away you go.

So what percentage will re-enlist for 2 or more terms. There is a given historical percentage that generally remains true. They use it to plan their future manning and decide where shortages are or will be. However, such things as recessions/economic downturns/high unemployment will cause retention numbers to rise as folks weigh the pros/cons of getting out vs. staying in. If unemployment was at an all time low and salaries were exponentially higher in the civilian world, one would expect the military to institute paying of higher reenlistment bonuses, etc to entice their experienced people to remain in. Either way, they need fewer people at higher paygrades so they DESIRE people to get out.

What I think your gut is telling you, though, is that the Marines have done a good job of promoting their institutional culture. That appeal is also then used as a retention tool. If you instill a value that you are part of a special elite (the few, the proud) and a family (once a Marine, always...), then that individual may choose to remain in for other than pecuniary rewards. This was the target of your first point, I believe. The appeal attracts a certain type of individual. Those that are swayed by it will continue to be. Those that aren't, may choose to serve their country in other ways.

Finally, I will say this about your point #2. Doesn't matter what service you choose or for how long you do it. Anyone who HAS served earns my respect provided they served honorably. Whether one chooses to remain for a career or gets out after their first commitment, they still did something that a majority of Americans have NOT done (military only 9% of the Gen Pop.) It's the service that counts, not the time served.

We need good people in the Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard just as well. The job they all do is just as important. It all defends our freedoms and our country.

P.S. Are you aware that the Marine Corps organizationally belongs to the Department of the Navy as a subordinate unit? 😉 Navy Org Chart 
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
I didn't mean to disparage those who served shorter terms. Not at all. Even if such a thing were valid, which I don't consider it, it wouldn't be valid coming from me, who has never served.

That's why I haven't attempted to give the OP any advice. That's not my place or my competence.

I really was just responding to the "recruiters lie" subthread.

My only point is really that if you're going to sell/recruit people a "career in X" you're going to recruit differently than if you're going to sell/recruit people seeking "a stepping stone for the future career". And that my impression (again, as a pure ousider) is that the marines both seek and attract those seeking the former more; and army/navy/etc, the latter more.

I wouldn't even argue that either approach is "wrong". While I personally admire Marines a bit more, because I consider them more likely to be "warriors" first, I'm convinced that modelling the entire US military (or its recruitment on the Marine Corp model) would be a disaster. (Sorry, Foster.)

A modern nation that asks its military to serve as wide a range of political/economics/culture needs more than warriors in it. And it needs more than Marines.

I just think that you can't lump all military recruiters/recruitment strategies and tactics together. Depending on the objectives being served by the recruiter (or sought by the potential recruit), lying might be a preferred approach sometimes.

But not always.

Hehe...and, yes, I know the Marines are part of the D of Navy. But my impression has always been that they recruit separately and target different recruits.

This is probably why they both wear silly pants.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
istanbulpacker
13 years ago
Wade,

Didn't think your intention was to disparage those who served shorter terms just as I didn't intend to disparage those who haven't served. I was just lumping in my own opinions in the same post as I replied to one of your comments.

Since I sort of started the "recruiters lie" theme, though, I will still stand by that. It is an old saw. Sure, not all recruiters are devious just like all cops in the US aren't assholes (a previous post). However, there is a kernel of truth to each and it comes from the collective experiences of many people being burned.

Let us not forget that the job of a recruiter is to recruit. His performance is evaluated based on how well he meets monthly quotas (or, to be P.C., "goals"). We recognize that asking police officers to write X number of tickets per month doesn't equate to good governance and doesn't help them do their mission. They feel pressured to write tickets in B.S. situations to keep their job/performance if it has been a slow month. Same thing applies here, I imagine. Slow month....get a kid who is interested, sell him some half-truths and get him to sign.

I think what NSD and I were trying to say is this:
Understand EXACTLY what it is you are undertaking and what you are giving up to do so. Ensure that your reasons/needs/desires for entering into this contract are met before you sign because you aren't getting anything after the deal. Unlike the NFLPA, there is no contract re-negotiation for performance and there are no union strikes in the military...unless you are European 😉
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (12h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (15h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (16h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (19h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (19h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (19h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.