Greg C.
13 years ago
I think the lack of a veteran backup was an understandable concern the past two years (especially in '08), butFlynn is in his third season now, and he should be able to accomplish something when he comes into a game. Unfortunately, yesterday was proof to the contrary. They may need to rethink their backup QB situation for next year.
blank
Tezzy
13 years ago

I think the lack of a veteran backup was an understandable concern the past two years (especially in '08), butFlynn is in his third season now, and he should be able to accomplish something when he comes into a game. Unfortunately, yesterday was proof to the contrary. They may need to rethink their backup QB situation for next year.

"Greg C." wrote:

Guess we better evaluate our starter as well since our backup put more points on the board than the starter. Last weekends game proved nothing to this point one way or the other.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Greg C.
13 years ago

"Tezzy" wrote:

Guess we better evaluate our starter as well since our backup put more points on the board than the starter. Last weekends game proved nothing to this point one way or the other.

"Greg C." wrote:

Do you think Flynn threw the ball accurately enough? I didn't.

If Flynn had thrown a perfect strike for a would-be TD that was dropped and Rodgers had thrown a terrible interception in the end zone, I would have a different opinion.
blank
Stevetarded
13 years ago

I don't get the "veteran" back up obession. Whether it's a veteran is irrelevant, all that matters is whether its a GOOD back up. Veteran does not mean good, usually it means already got a shot but couldn't cut it.

"blueleopard" wrote:

You can apply that adage to backups too. Backups already had a shot but couldn't cut it.

The only reason why Flynn is serviceable here in Green Bay is because we don't sign anybody for him to compete with. McCarthy is insistent upon bringing in young pups to learn from him rather than bringing in the best guys possible to push each other.

Favre was successful during his first half decade because he always had someone breathing down his neck while Holmgren watched him scared. (Mark Brunell... Ty Detmer, some apologists might even throw Matt Hasselbeck in that mess).

Rodgers deserves all the grooming he's gotten from the organization, and I know that nobody can compete with him at quarterback, but there's no reason why our backup can't be somebody who's been in the league and seen a few things Rodgers hasn't.

Make fun of those guys all you want, but I'd take Jon Kitna, Shaun Hill, Chad Pennington, or J.P. Losman over Matt Flynn any day.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Brunell was in GB for 1 season (rookie season), Ty Detmer for 2 and there is no real reason to believe he was any better than Flynn is. Most of the time Favre was backed up by Doug Pederson. If these guys were breathing down Favre's neck then maybe he wasn't as good as we thought he was.
blank
Pack93z
13 years ago
Flynn was far from razor sharp yesterday.. there is little doubt he left some opportunities on the field.

But the point is the Packers offense was stoned the entire game.. and we gave the Detroit defense a boost by becoming absolutely one dimensional per the norm.

26 passes in a little over a half.. that's an entire game for a good number of teams.

Little mystery why we struggled yesterday.. solid defensive front and we helped them along the way but not effectively running the damn ball.. not all that falls on Flynn.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackFanWithTwins
13 years ago
Flynn made 1 real mistake on the INT. He drove the field three times really.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
hardrocker950
13 years ago
I think everyone is forgetting that football is a team sport. You win as a team, and lose likewise. You can point fingers at Flynn all you want, but there were other factors that played into this loss. The OL looked more than pathetic - a QB needs time for plays to develop and for better decision making. The dropped pass by Jennings cannot be blamed on anyone but himself - not the QB's fault.

Overall there were many factors in this loss, and I hope they are addressed this week. We cannot afford anymore games to be lost in such a manner. This game was straight up dreadful.
PackFanWithTwins
13 years ago
Have they announced Harrell being moved from the practice squad yet.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
macbob
13 years ago
Flynn deserves some slack for not having the entire week to prepare against the Lions as the #1 QB. Rodgers is getting the vast majority of the snaps in practice all season and Flynn is getting the left-overs.

Kitna wasn't great in the game that he played when Romo got injured. He was 16-33, for 187 yards (Flynn was 15-26, 177). 73 of those yards came with 1:45 remaining in the game, when the Giants were playing prevent defense. He did throw 2 TDs, one during that garbage time at the end of the game and the other on a 1 play, 15 yd drive.

Playing QB is HARD. Given a week to prepare as the #1 QB, I'd expect an improved performance from Flynn. Given the # of reps he actually had and the performance of the OL, I thought he played very well.
UserPostedImage
millertime
13 years ago
This loss falls solely on the o-line. Much like the Atlanta game. If they could block worth a lick, Rodgers wouldn't need to take all those shots, Flynn wouldn't have been under pressure all game b/c we could use the running game. We need to clean house on the o-line. How many more seasons can we really take of Clifton, Colledge, and Wells anemic run blocking??? We need a change of scenery, before A-Rod becomes Chad Pennington.

We are the suck...
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (14h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (15h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (18h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (18h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.