dfosterf
13 years ago
Link 

For the first and more successful half of their history, the Minnesota Vikings were owned, in part, by the perfectly named Max Winter. It's as if the Baltimore Orioles were owned by Major Humidity or the Pittsburgh Pirates were owned by General Indifference. Winter remained on the Vikings' board of directors until he was 86, which was appropriate, for the team's greatest asset, during its greatest era, was Old Man Winter. And we're not talking about Max now.

As the Vikings play out the string on another disappointing season -- the 50th in franchise history -- it seems impossible that their first 21 years of home games were played outdoors, in frigid temperatures, for a coach who dressed in December as if it were August. Bud Grant prohibited sideline heaters, was fond of short sleeves and looked -- with his white hair and ice-blue eyes -- like winter itself.

Every year at playoff time, the Los Angeles Rams arrived in Minnesota, exotic creatures from Southern California -- half man, half tan -- who would instantly melt before their sideline space heaters and the withering gaze of a flip-flopped, tank-topped Grant. (At least that's how I remember it.) Then the Vikings would play a Super Bowl in some sunlit Southern hothouse and spoil like lunchmeat. But still: Those four Super Bowl appearances all came in the first 21 years of al fresco play in Minnesota.

This isn't to say that the Vikings' chronic underachievement in the last 29 years owes entirely to the fact that they moved indoors in 1982. (Two of the last four Super Bowl winners play indoors.) Nor is it to say that playing in the cold is a guarantee of Super Bowl success.

But the move indoors did transform the Vikings from intimidating to intimidated. The popular image of the Vikings went from stoic workmen ignoring the elements to coddled stars begging for comeuppance -- from Purple People Eaters to Purple Nurple Needers.

Sure, the litany of Viking embarrassments would have happened indoors or out: The Love Boat scandal had nothing to do with playing indoors. Nor did the second coming -- and going -- of Randy Moss. Ditto the tedious co-dependency of Brett Favre and Brad Childress. Would the Herschel Walker trade have happened had the Vikings played outside, on grass? Perhaps. But Vikings fans -- in snowmobile suits and balaclavas -- would have literally been numbed to its effects, thanks to sub-zero temperatures and hip flasks of whiskey.

Vikings fans are still numb, but it has nothing to do with the weather. Three NFL teams have had longer droughts without a championship. But each of those teams -- the Eagles, Lions and Cardinals -- has at least won a championship. The Vikings, of course, never have. Yet they still insist, once a decade, on coming tantalizingly close.

Tantalize derives from Tantalus, the son of Zeus, condemned to spend eternity in water he couldn't drink, beneath fruit he couldn't eat.

Sound familiar, Viking fans? In the 1987 NFC title game, Darrin Nelson came within an inch of catching the game-tying touchdown with 56 seconds left against the Redskins. In the '98 game, Gary Anderson -- having made his last 39 field goals and his last 67 extra points -- missed a 38-yarder by six inches that would have sealed the NFC championship against the Falcons. In the 2009 game, Brett Favre threw an inexplicable interception against New Orleans as the Vikings were driving for a potential game-winning field goal. Afterward, Favre uttered what will be his Viking epitaph: "I probably should've ran it."

The irony is that Favre -- emblem of the doomed, domed, dysfunctional Vikings -- may be the greatest cold-weather quarterback there ever was. Brett Lorenzo Favre -- an anagram of Frozen-Over Battler -- did not survive long indoors. Neither does the ladybug or millipede or evergreen. It is not in their nature.

Nor is it in the nature of the Vikings, whose lease at the Metrodome expires after next season. The team has long lobbied for a new stadium while taxpayers, legislators and fans have debated the merits of a stadium roof.

You know where I stand. In the spring of 1981, the Vikings moved into a new corporate office and practice facility, Winter Park, named for the former team president. It should also be, for a different reason, the name of a new, roofless stadium: Winter Park.

That same year, 1981, the Vikings played their last outdoor home game. I was there -- on December 20, 1981 -- for the 10-6 loss to the Chiefs, after which fans ran onto the field, tore up the tundra, scaled the scoreboard and flung the letters off like Frisbees. There went the G, followed by the B -- vandals pointedly destroying the out-of-town scoreboard shorthand for Green Bay.

I got a piece of the field-goal netting, then cheesed it ahead of an advancing army of cops spraying Mace. We drove home, my brothers and I, past pedestrians on Killebrew Drive carrying away part of one goal post. They looked like ants removing a pretzel stick from a picnic.

There were tears in my eyes. There were tears in everyone's eyes. We all blamed it on the tear gas.

Steve Rushin is the author of The Pint Man, a novel.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/steve_rushin/12/01/vikings/index.html#ixzz16yIe9N9Y 

Throw this in as a bonus---

Scum called Randy, (imo) from 13 years ago---13 years, and he still hasn't grown up one single bit...(again, imo)

From the SI vault 

[youtube]D-A4jl6cZXM&feature=related[/youtube]
Formo
13 years ago
Good article.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
mi_keys
13 years ago

13 years, and he still hasn't grown up one single bit...

"dfosterf" wrote:

Randy Moss
wide receiver
Rand University

He seems like a HUGE Marshall fan
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
dhazer (3h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (4h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (20h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (23h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

47m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.