Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Blockers up front have set tone with protection, few penalties 
Green Bay Sift through Aaron Rodgers' numbers.

Break down Greg Jennings' contribution into itty bitty parts.

Ponder how important Brandon Jackson has been lately.

Do all of that until the turkey is on the table, but if you really want to know why the Green Bay Packers are playing offense like a playoff contender, take a peek at the offensive line.

More maligned around here than the California Dairy Farmers Association, the Packers' line is nearing redemption for its sins of 2009 and is well on its way to being a productive member of football society.

"Considering where we were a year ago and a couple months, it's nice to be rolling right now," right guard Josh Sitton said. "But we have to keep going."

During the Packers' four-game winning streak, a couple of things have stood out beyond averaging 351 yards and 28.2 points per game.

First, two of those four games have come on the road, the last inside arguably the nosiest venue in the NFL, and yet the line has committed just three false-start penalties in that time. It did not commit a single one in the 31-3 victory over the Minnesota Vikings Sunday at the Metrodome.

Next, the Packers have allowed 20 sacks, fewer than half of the 43 it allowed over the first 10 games last season. Not all 20 of those sacks were the fault of the offensive line. What's more, linemen have committed just four holding penalties this season, none during the four-game winning streak.

Given how often the Packers throw the ball, improvement in those two areas has meant the world to the offense. The fact the same five guys have been in the starting lineup for six straight weeks - four have started every game this year - has given coach Mike McCarthy greater flexibility in constructing game plans.

"I don't know if it's obvious to you, but we're carrying more volume up front as far as the run concepts and the protection concepts than you probably normally would," McCarthy said Wednesday. "A lot of that in the past was due to, we had so much change in our offensive line.

"It's so important to have continuity up front because the game really starts up there, and for us to play the way we want to play and create some type of balance and continue to stay out of a two-shell game where the defense is playing you one way the whole time, it's important for us to continue to grow and be productive up front. And I think we're doing that."

Consider where the Packers were a year ago.

After 10 games, they had played with five different combinations of players upfront, never going more than two weeks with the same five in the lineup. Not until veteran right tackle Mark Tauscher was re-signed and inserted in the lineup did things settle down.

In the final seven games with the line static, the Packers gave up 10 sacks.

This year, the only change has been the insertion of first-round pick Bryan Bulaga into the injured Tauscher's spot. Bulaga has been competitive and while he makes mistakes, he seems to get better each week.

In his first visit to the Metrodome for a Packers-Vikings meeting, Bulaga held his own, allowing one sack to end Ray Edwards, but otherwise playing solidly. The most important thing was that he didn't melt down amid the chaos.

"I was just trying to not let anything rattle (me)," Bulaga said. "It's just a matter of staying focused. We practice 'silent count' a lot, especially when we're in weeks when we're in domes. When you're in a good rhythm with your center, (it helps)."

If the performance in the Metrodome was a sign of how the line will play in domes this season, it's very good news for McCarthy. Two of the Packers' next three games are in domes, starting with Atlanta on Sunday.

Under McCarthy, the Packers use the "silent count" mostly on third downs when Rodgers is in the shotgun formation. There is no snap count because it's assumed no one on the line can hear it, so the linemen rely on the rhythm of the unspoken count and keep the ball in the periphery of their vision.

Center Scott Wells has to keep an eye on Rodgers, who usually taps his foot to start the count and the rest of the linemen have to help Wells make the alignment adjustments he would make if he were able to focus entirely on what is in front of him.

"It's something you have to be very good at," Rodgers said. "The most important part of the silent count is the three interior guys. Scotty has to have his eyes and his ears - his right guard and left guard. So Josh and Daryn (Colledge) have to be his eyes and his ears and talk to him about his calls and who's coming and not coming."

Against the Vikings, there was only one bad miscommunication and it came early in the game when an adjustment wasn't made at the last second to accommodate for a blitzing linebacker. Offensive line coach James Campen was not happy that it resulted in a sack because the group works so hard on making sure everything is communicated correctly.

"It was a declaration situation and we weren't on the same page," Campen said. "Those are the sacks you can't stand to get because it had zero to do with anybody from a physical standpoint."

The fact those kind of errors have been few and far between is a testament to the play of the line and the importance of continuity. The reduction in sacks and holding penalties mostly has to do with performance.

There's no question that left tackle Chad Clifton's fountain-of-youth discovery has meant wonders for the line, but it doesn't completely account for the turnaround. Last year, the Packers had 10 holding calls after 10 games and Clifton had just one of them.

Clearly, the entire line has contributed to the improvement.

"It's a matter of fundamentals," Colledge said. "It's something we focused on a lot this off-season. We focused on it in camp. We said as an offensive line that we were going to knock the penalties down. We're going to get rid of sacks, but along with that we had to get less penalties."

UserPostedImage
Blitz
13 years ago
We're going to get that fixed... result:

" the Packers have allowed 20 sacks, fewer than half of the 43 it allowed over the first 10 games last season.
Not all 20 of those sacks were the fault of the offensive line. What's more...,
linemen have committed just four holding penalties this season, none during the four-game winning streak."

:thumbright:
"... There.. is.. your.. dagger..!! "
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
Here this thread should be sitting higher on the list than mine.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
I still think there are fault lines in the OL roster waiting to happen, but I have to admit they are looking substantially better than I thought they'd be at this point.

I will, however, continue to argue for OL in high rounds of the draft and/or FA every year. So there. 🙂
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (3h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (12h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (12h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (16h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (16h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (17h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.