Pack93z
13 years ago

We got through their OL and put Favre on his back all game long. That's how you win games, folks. Put the opposing QB on his back.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

And yet there were a number of people on this very board who ridiculed that notion when it was pointed out that the secret to defeating the Vikings is not shutting down Adrian Peterson but rather limiting the effectiveness of Brett Favre.

The irony is that as more DCs take note of this trend, Peterson's statistics may actually improve, but the Vikings' winning percentage probably will not.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I would have to disagree with this notion yet.. there is something to be said of how negligent the Vikings coaching staff is on their use of Peterson as a complete weapon and keep feeding him the ball.

He touched the ball 15 times yesterday.. with a back like that.. you get him the ball more often than 15 times. He touched it 3 times in the second half.. 2 rushes and a reception.

It is too easy when Childress/Bevell ignore their best weapon on the team.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
peteralan71
13 years ago
pack93z

He touched it 3 times in the second half.. 2 rushes and a reception.

That is a RIDICULOUS stat. A team gets urgent and they think that the only way to win a game is to get big plays through the QB's arm. AP not only has the capability to make big plays himself, but he also sets up a ton of big plays for Farve.
Not to go unnoticed, we had our 80 yard drive in the 2nd quarter with 0 runs, but running is not our strong suit.
The Vikings did many things to beat themselves yesterday. We just helped them along.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I would have to disagree with this notion yet.. there is something to be said of how negligent the Vikings coaching staff is on their use of Peterson as a complete weapon and keep feeding him the ball.

He touched the ball 15 times yesterday.. with a back like that.. you get him the ball more often than 15 times. He touched it 3 times in the second half.. 2 rushes and a reception.

"pack93z" wrote:

I've said it a few times ... the only person capable of stopping Adrian Peterson is his Brad Childress (or whomever is calling the plays).

I don't think Adrian is the best in the NFL, but I think he's one of 5 RB's that you need to feed him the ball several times each drive and let him explode. I am glad to see Adrian's fixing his fumbling issue. He's a great back and I don't like the whole 'he's great but ...' stuff.

Hopefully he'll land with another team so he can have a legitimate chance for a ring.
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago
deleted
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I've said it a few times ... the only person capable of stopping Adrian Peterson is his Brad Childress (or whomever is calling the plays).

I don't think Adrian is the best in the NFL, but I think he's one of 5 RB's that you need to feed him the ball several times each drive and let him explode. I am glad to see Adrian's fixing his fumbling issue. He's a great back and I don't like the whole 'he's great but ...' stuff.

Hopefully he'll land with another team so he can have a legitimate chance for a ring.

"pack93z" wrote:

I agree. He is a classy player that doesn't shoot his mouth off regardless of how good he is (one of the most important aspects for when I am judging a players personality), he just runs. HARD. I'm not so sure I see him going to another team, though. I think, especially after Favre and Childress are gone, Zygi will do everything he can to hold on to AP, as he will be the cashcow for the future.
Assuming the Vikings don't pick up Vick next year.
I just got a headache.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Shawn raises a good point, and I think it's simply the opposite side of the coin to mine. Just as defensive coordinators seems to give good running backs like Adrian Peterson too much credit, offensive playcallers often seem not to give their running backs enough credit (and yes, I believe Mike McCarthy often falls for this same trap). It always surprises me how readily a lot of teams give up on the run after they get down by a touchdown or two. It especially baffles me the way Childress always seems so eager to take Peterson out of the game; it makes me wonder if he dislikes the guy or something.

I used to be equally puzzled by the way McCarthy insisted on putting Aaron Rodgers in the spread offense, but apparently Rodgers himself has been begging to be allowed to spread the offense out.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

I agree. He is a classy player that doesn't shoot his mouth off regardless of how good he is (one of the most important aspects for when I am judging a players personality), he just runs. HARD. I'm not so sure I see him going to another team, though. I think, especially after Favre and Childress are gone, Zygi will do everything he can to hold on to AP, as he will be the cashcow for the future.
Assuming the Vikings don't pick up Vick next year.
I just got a headache.

"peteralan71" wrote:

Vick is staying in Philly. He's too happy to leave, and very thankful to the team for taking him. His morale is too good there. It's kind of like you're at a job you love. You may not be getting paid there as much as elsewhere, but you love your job and everyone loves you. You're going to stay.

As for AP, he is the best RB in the NFL. I don't care what anyone says. He's got the speed and breaks tackles, and the moves. I've never seen a complete package like this except Wallie Payton was better because Payton can block and was a much better receiver than AP.

AP stays in MN. They know if AP leaves, so will a lot of fan revenue. Nobody is that stupid.

As for us, we didn't even get 70 yards by our RBs. It's irrelevant. We slaughtered the Vikings. The running game is overrated folks. AP could have had 150+ yards. We still would have slaughtered the Vikings. 4 TD passes, folks. How many times do you see a RB rush for 300 yards and 4 TDs? Exactly.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
warhawk
13 years ago

We got through their OL and put Favre on his back all game long. That's how you win games, folks. Put the opposing QB on his back.

"pack93z" wrote:

And yet there were a number of people on this very board who ridiculed that notion when it was pointed out that the secret to defeating the Vikings is not shutting down Adrian Peterson but rather limiting the effectiveness of Brett Favre.

The irony is that as more DCs take note of this trend, Peterson's statistics may actually improve, but the Vikings' winning percentage probably will not.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Peterson didn't get the ball in the second half because we were kicking their behind. I knew when we scored before the half Peterson's day was all but done. He did make a couple of nice runs but the Packers also bottled him up for nothing on many carries so he really wasn't hurting us much.

Childress does it all the time so it's not anything new. If nothing else they should use him much more out of the backfield if they are trying to get back in a game but they give up on the run when they're down by two scores. Always have.
"The train is leaving the station."
Greg C.
13 years ago
By the time the Vikings got the ball in the second half, they were behind by three touchdowns. And all of that happened while Peterson was getting a decent number of carries. So why should they have kept feeding Peterson the ball? It wasn't working. They had three points to show for it. And even in the best case scenario, they would've eaten up most of the clock with three scoring drives if they relied on the running game. There would've been very little margin for error.

Does anybody think the Vikings handed off to Peterson many times when they came back from a two TD deficit to beat the Cardinals a couple weeks ago? I don't know if they did, but I doubt it.
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago

By the time the Vikings got the ball in the second half, they were behind by three touchdowns. And all of that happened while Peterson was getting a decent number of carries. So why should they have kept feeding Peterson the ball? It wasn't working. They had three points to show for it. And even in the best case scenario, they would've eaten up most of the clock with three scoring drives if they relied on the running game. There would've been very little margin for error.

Does anybody think the Vikings handed off to Peterson many times when they came back from a two TD deficit to beat the Cardinals a couple weeks ago? I don't know if they did, but I doubt it.

"Greg C." wrote:

You are correct, Greg. AP had 15 carries that game. 27 points for the Vikings with Favre throwing for 446 yards and 2 TDs. If I remember correctly, the two TD drives didn't feature a single hand-off.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (3h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (3h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (3h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (3h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (4h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (6h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (10h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (10h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.