RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
If you can't stand the guy, please do not read on, I completely understand why a lot of people cannot stand him and you will not like what I have to say - This is not to start a Favre bash or Favre defense thread.

I was watching the game last night and I can honestly say I have never felt that much joy in watching a football game in a long time.

Favre was well Favre. He's not the greatest of all time, he may not be close to one of the greats, who knows, its all subjective. But one thing that he never fails to do is entertain. And that is why I watch sports. Nothing brings me more joy than being entertained, thats why I love the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry (although after the Sox won the World Series, it hasn't been the same), I can't wait to watch the Heat v. the Lakers, etc. Its drama, its intensity, its entertaining.

The old man played with fire, he played with heart. That drive after he threw the pick-6 was typical Favre. Horrible mistake followed by some how mentally being able to block that out and lead a TD drive. Plus to get up from hit after hit at 41 to take that last drive to the end. How many can honestly say that you didn't think he was going to do it once again? Win a game that he had no business winning. At the end of the day he's 41 and with all the stuff going on off the field, he still showed up to play.

It was such an enjoyable game because I got to watch one of my favorite athletes play and entertain while still having my team win. It was the PERFECT combination because I got to watch the good Favre and the bad Favre but not have my team suffer because of the bad Favre - that's Vikings' fans problem now.

And I think realized last night why I like him in the first place. He shows how he's feeling and shows emotion - which a lot of players don't do, for whatever reason - to each his own. But I love that - thats why I think a lot of people enjoy him playing football, he's different than others.

So based on my perspective anyway, its not about the wins, the TDs, the INTs, etc. - Brett entertains like no other and you plays with heart and grit. Regardless of how bad you think he is, I don't think anyone can deny that he's a warrior. I'm not saying he's the best football player, I'm just saying he's a tough guy.

Also - I really thought when he was limping off the field in defeat the crowd was going to give him an ovation and it was going to be one of those "moments" you'll never forget, instead he got boo'd like heck, lol. Which is everyone's right to boo, he did a lot of things to get boo'd the last couple years but it would have been a cool moment.

Battered, old man, in defeat, gets an ovation for doing what he's always done - play with heart and grit and give it his all.

He probably should have retired after last year, no doubt about it, but for me, to see that old fool being that old fool one more year, I'm not going to complain (plus he was a reason why we won yesterday - so that doesn't hurt either, lol).
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
He's played in over 300 straight regular/post season games, no shit he's a tough person. He played the day following his fathers death.

I think many like/liked Brett because on the field, you can see it's still just a game, but a game that means a lot to him. He doesn't hide it.

Anyone who says they weren't nervous on that last drive is lying. And we were nervous because we know Brett can play like garbage for 3+ quarters then throw that one pass, in the one spot that no one else would dare to and pull it off.
UserPostedImage
dingus
13 years ago
I kept thinking, "we're going to lose by 3 points again" on that last MN drive.

Agree 100% about the booing after the game as did all of my friends watching with me.

Red Sox, I fully intended to be filled with righteous indignation from reading your post but with the disclaimer at the beginning and a generally well thought out post all I can say is good job.

It really sucks that it all went down like this, who'd have thought we would have lasts nights game as our final memory of Favre playing at Lambeau?
blank
Pack93z
13 years ago
I didn't like the booing a bit.. actually got into a pretty heated discussion with some jackass that was cussing the entire game and overall being a ass.. an embarrassment of a Packer fan.. heck to any fan base.

Like him, hate him, or just enjoy the passion he plays the game with.. that was not the proper way to send him to the showers.. the Packers did that upon the field with the couple of hits they laid upon him.

Guy is a warrior on the football field.. as is his apprentice on the other side.. show him a little respect and bury the hatchet.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
13 years ago
Great post, Red Sox. I can't stand Favre anymore, and I was getting sick of him even before he left the Packers, but I understand where you are coming from.

I was a little surprised that he got booed as he went off the field. It shows that he will not be forgiven as easily as a lot of people assume he will.

Last night's game was a good example of why I'm glad Favre doesn't play for the Packers anymore. He digs a big hole for himself and then makes a heroic effort to dig himself back out of it, usually coming up just a little short, as he did last night.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I just don't find trainwrecks entertaining. You and I obviously have very different definitions of entertainment.
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
He's fun to watch because he's a hit or miss every single play. That's what makes him exciting. I'm not shocked the crowd booed him. Why would they cheer him? He's a Minnesota Viking now. I love what NBC did following him around after the game because this was his last go around at Lambeau Field. He definitely is one of the symbols of the most iconic football stadium in the world. Yeah, it was tough to watch for many reasons, but it was really well put together. Last night was a big moment in the history of Lambeau.

Time will pass and he'll come back to Green Bay and the fans will cheer him once again. Probably when his jersey is retired. My guess is that will have a lasting effect on the Packers and not the mood right now.
Cheesey
13 years ago
OK.....here is where i have a problem with some of the comments. As far as the "booing" goes. Do any of you remember Favre last year, when he was jumping around and celebrating that "his" team beat OUR team?
I don't remember any of you belittling him for "rubbing our noses in it".
Yet because the PACKER fans let him know what they thought about him playing all the games so he could get out of playing here and admitting he wanted to "stick it" to TT, they should have applauded him?
I mean, you had the RIGHT to do so, and i wouldn't care......but i would not have applauded him.
If the day comes that he retires (i mean for real) and he goes into the HOF as a Packer, THAT day i will give him a standing ovation.
Right now though, he's the leader of the "enemy team" and will be treated as that by me.
He CHOSE to play for the Vikings. And thus should not expect "love" from Packer fans.
JMO of course
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
I can see that viewpoint Cheesey, thats why I don't really have anything against someone that boo'd him, its your right.

I just thought it would have been a "cool" moment. Like if he retires due to his ankle or whatever, how cool would it be that his last game, he was giving a standing O by the Packers fans in Lambeau.
blank
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago

I just don't find trainwrecks entertaining. You and I obviously have very different definitions of entertainment.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Come on NSD! You're telling me you weren't worried in the slightest that even given the INTs and the gimpy ankle, he was going to pull off the last minute drive to beat the Packers in Lambeau? And that didn't entertain you to watch him on that final drive?

It was an awesome game to watch, and part of it was because Favre is a trainwreck and caused the drama for that game to mean so much, but I agree, may be we just have different definitions of entertainment.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (16h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (16h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (20h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (20h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.