Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

Formo, just so we are OK with still fining guys for crawling on on the turf and then swatting the QB's knees well after the ball was delivered.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Totally fair. Wasn't a helmet to helmet hit. Also still think it's ridiculous that the NFL has labeled tackles below the knees on a QB as 'illegal'.

Something tells me Schlereth just crossed a line he is going to regret. Don't get me wrong, I think he is right, but he just called the league that has been employing him in one way or another for a very long time - hypocrites. Somebody is going to be pissed.

I loved the part he brought up about not taking care of the retired veterans. Any veteran, of the NFL or any other professional league, should not have a medical financial worry for the rest of their lives.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Schlereth has been going at it with the NFL for a long time now. He's getting paid by ESPN, so I don't think the NFL can do anything about his yappings.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
With the focus on helmet to helmet hitting I believe we'll see a lot more shattered knees with players trying to aim lower now.

The best result would be to see some form tackling. They should start putting the best form tackles on ESPN highlights. They'd struggle to display a top ten.
UserPostedImage
musccy
13 years ago
The nfl video is a joke. The differences between robinson's hit on jackson and ray lewis' hit on keller is negligible, if not indiscernible, yet to the NFL there is some clear distinction?!?

I understand the intent, but there was only 1 illegal hit this weekend, yet 3 unprecedented fines.
PackFanWithTwins
13 years ago

The nfl video is a joke. The differences between robinson's hit on jackson and ray lewis' hit on keller is negligible, if not indiscernible, yet to the NFL there is some clear distinction?!?

I understand the intent, but there was only 1 illegal hit this weekend, yet 3 unprecedented fines.

"musccy" wrote:

I think the bit difference is Lewis didn't go running in and throw a shoulder and make head contact. Lewis setup and made a hard tackle. All three hits that were fined made head contact either with helmet or shoulder.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
13 years ago
Meriweather deserves every dime, I haven't heard anyone disagree with that yet.

I see what you're saying about the head contact on Harrison. Whether incidental or not (and the NFL has said they don't care if it's incidental) he twice made contact with a brown's player's head.

With Daunta, he didn't hit DeShawn's head. He didn't launch, he led with the shoulder, and only the side of his helmet made contact with DeShawn's pec/shoulder. If the NFL decides to fine/eject/suspend every player whose helmet happens to contact a player (wherever it may be, incidental or not), they will have just released a large snowball rolling down a huge hill!
PackFanWithTwins
13 years ago
I saw a great suggestion the other day. Hire a groupl of Ex coaches, players, officials and civilians to do the reviewing of the calls.

Hopefully this is enough to get players to change a little. Instead of throwing yourself at the tackle, set yourself and make a hard clean tackle. IN the Ray Lewis one, even if he did make contact with the head, I would still say that was clean. He didn't throw himself, and he had his arms out to wrap. I would fine/suspend head contact when I see a player lower his arms and torpedo even with the shoulder.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
13 years ago
I think the diverse committee makes a lot of sense.

I also see what you're saying about going for the tackle, and I think that's a good point. However, i just watched the replay again of the Robinson play, and he sort of extended his left arm for a tackle while mainly leading with his right shoulder.

Had he tried to tackle Jackson, I think it would have lowered his center of gravity even more, and would have been bordering on a spear, which a Viking just got fined 20K for.

Aside from head hunting, this is a very grey area that will be the center of controversy for a long time. The line between a spear, a devastating play, leading with the shoulder, and attempting a tackle can all be frustratingly muddled.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Am I the only one who finds the "head vs. shoulder" distinction the wrong one?

To me, the question is "where are the arms?" Proper tackling form involves wrapping the arms around the guy with the ball, rigiht? Well, then look to see if the player is striving to tackle (in which case the arms are outside the tackler's body, moving forward toward the ball carrier) or just trying to whack the guy with a blunt instrument (in which case the arms tend to be down alongside the body or bent across the blunt instrument's chest.

Another thing, I'm betting if they got rid of the "illegal contact past 5 yards" rule, and allowed old fashioned bump/run coverage until the ball was in the air, you'd have less of these hits. It'd be less "let the guy get open as long as you can close quick enough from 10-15 yards away" "coverage".
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Yeah, good call Wade.

I still hate how they are hypocrites, though. They = NFL
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (5h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (10h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (10h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (10h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.