13 years ago
UserPostedImage

Discuss.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
longtimefan
13 years ago
I'm confused?

Your upset that people are showing support?

Or upset that people want to show support?
Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

I'm confused?

Your upset that people are showing support?

Or upset that people want to show support?

"longtimefan" wrote:

No and no.

I'm only upset that these young kids committing suicide isn't a new epidemic and that the ONLY reason it's getting the 'press' it is because they were bullied gay kids.

Suicide, bullied kids, the stigma of being a homosexual kid isn't anything new. I personally feel it's getting the vocal support it has because of the liberal agenda (what with elections coming up around the corner).

I think fixing the teen suicide and bullying should be done, despite the victims. Not because of any particular victim 'group'.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
4PackGirl
13 years ago
i have a best friend who is gay & a child who has been bullied. this is near & dear to my heart. you can think it's some sort of political hot button issue if you want. bottom line is i'm thrilled that these issues are being discussed. doesn't matter to me why & it really shouldn't matter to anyone else why. to effect change, discussion must take place, & then action will follow.

and for the complete ahole who wrote these kids are 'taking the easy way out', you're an idiot!
13 years ago
What makes you think it's a politically driven thing, Formo? I guess I've been out of the loop. Have politicians been pushing the issue hard?

Regardless, I agree with 4PackGirl. It doesn't matter where the discussion is originating, as long as it's being discussed. I find it sad that it even has to be discussed, honestly. I will never understand the anti-gay mentality.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago
I'll have to somewhat side with Formo here. I already ranted about "Cyber-bullying"... Bullying is a real issue, but a mostly harmless one until it turns into criminal harassment, assault, etc. I would NOT be as mature of a person today as I am without bullying in high school, you CANNOT go through your formative years without dealing with some bullying.

That being said, there is a fine line between bullying and criminal harassment, assault, etc. I was punched, beaten (within view of teachers), my laptop smashed, shoved around in the hallways, called every name in the book, followed home, had my place TP'd several times a year, my bike stolen, the list goes on and on and on. Literally every day I would have multiple people actively abusing me.

While I do have sympathy for LGBTs out there that get abuse in the hallways, to turn this into a national movement of sorts and pretending like abuse towards gays in particular is a unique problem enrages me. I saw far more acceptance of openly gay teens in the early 2000s (when I was in high school) than I did of people that were fat, short, or had any other "abnormal" physical charictaristics.

News flash: Teenagers are cruel. Targeting those with significant differences, physical or otherwise is typical. You're certainly welcome to be gay, I hope that you love yourself (and that involves loving that you're gay), but when people are making fun of you because you are gay, you need to realize that this is not something PERSONAL, or because you are gay.
Porforis
13 years ago

What makes you think it's a politically driven thing, Formo? I guess I've been out of the loop. Have politicians been pushing the issue hard?

Regardless, I agree with 4PackGirl. It doesn't matter where the discussion is originating, as long as it's being discussed. I find it sad that it even has to be discussed, honestly. I will never understand the anti-gay mentality.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

As I outlined in my previous post but wanted to mention in more specificity, the "anti-gay mentality" is discrimination, plain and simple. The catch is, have any sort of "undesirable" or "alternative" traits such as skin problems, obesity, very short/tall stature, odd voice, etc etc etc and you will get tons of shit in high school. The wonderful thing is, once you get out into the adult world, the vast majority of people STOP CARING about things that do not affect them.

As for bullying in high school (again wanting to make a distinction between bullying, criminal harassment and assault), regrettable but constructive in the long run if the abusee wants to be constructive about it. Harassment and assault? Has no place in a school or anywhere else.
alharrisdude31
13 years ago
i have no personal issue with gays, we tend to mind eachothers business. But when my girlfriend wants to go to province town, cape cod THATS where it snaps, i cant even order a non-lisped ice cream
djcubez
13 years ago
Those are good points Porforis but I think there may be a bit more to the discrimination. Homosexual teenagers have to eventually tell their parents about their sexual orientation which can be a harrowing experience. I don't have statistics but I assume some parents won't openly accept it. Imagine the bullying you endured in school happening yet you couldn't go home and tell your parents. You couldn't rely on their support.

There's also a different stigma attached to homosexuality. Some people are of the opinion that it's a choice. People are discriminated usually over things that they can't change: race, height/weight, acne, etc., However these people already have large support groups and have people in their "group" that they can look it up. They can choose to be proud of who they are. For homosexuals I imagine it's a lot more difficult.

Now that being said I have to half-agree with you. The LGBT acceptance movement has been going for so long now that I've kind of gotten sick of it. I don't discriminate against any LGBT and never will but I don't think I have some kind of "responsibility" to help these people. Of course I tend to be that way about most movements.
Porforis
13 years ago

Those are good points Porforis but I think there may be a bit more to the discrimination. Homosexual teenagers have to eventually tell their parents about their sexual orientation which can be a harrowing experience. I don't have statistics but I assume some parents won't openly accept it. Imagine the bullying you endured in school happening yet you couldn't go home and tell your parents. You couldn't rely on their support.

"djcubez" wrote:

Something I didn't bring up that does separate discrimination against homosexuals and other "popular" targets. I guess I didn't think about the second half of that arrangement, where a homosexual teenager would potentially have less of a support structure (which is also important for proper adjustment).

There's also a different stigma attached to homosexuality. Some people are of the opinion that it's a choice. People are discriminated
usually over things that they can't change: race, height/weight, acne, etc., However these people already have large support groups and have people in their "group" that they can look it up. They can choose to be proud of who they are. For homosexuals I imagine it's a lot more difficult.

"djcubez" wrote:

I'd have to agree with you on the support aspect, but not so much about the difference between people that are discriminated against for things they do and don't have control over. While there are legitimately people that can't do jack squat about their acne, these people are in the severe minority. As for weight, same deal.

I'm also not sold on the lack of support groups outside of the teen's parents (admittedly, the most important one). The gay-straight alliance has been around (at least in my public schools) since I was in middle school. In this era of the Internet Age, it becomes infinitely easier to find people you can identify with. This doesn't replace real-world support, but it does help.

Now that being said I have to half-agree with you. The LGBT acceptance movement has been going for so long now that I've kind of gotten sick of it. I don't discriminate against any LGBT and never will but I don't think I have some kind of "responsibility" to help these people. Of course I tend to be that way about most movements.

"djcubez" wrote:

I guess that's my fear too. While there's certainly injustices that still need addressing (I'm a rare fairly-far-right conservative that says gays and lesbians should be allowed to marry LEGALLY), acceptance has come a long way and my fear is that it will eventually go too far, into the realm of affirmative action. If you don't want to be discriminated against, don't expect to be treated differently from everyone else, because that's precisely what you're asking for.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.