djcubez
  • djcubez
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
This year it seems that referees have had more game-altering penalty calls than I can remember. I haven't observed a spike in overall flags thrown but the timing of calls has greatly affected the outcome of games. I also have a few issues with penalties as a whole--what the intended purpose of throwing the flag is.

In my experience penalties in a sport our necessary to prevent a team or player from gaining an unfair advantage or competitive edge. Penalties like offsides, false start, holding, illegal formation, pass interference, two many man on the field, etc., These flags are there so players stick to the rules and no team can gain an unfair advantage.

However now there seems to be penalties only for the sake of protecting the leagues image and consequentially the players themselves. These include helmet-to-helmet hits, roughing the passer/kicker, excessive celebration, taunting, etc., Many of you probably won't agree with me but I feel that these penalties do not have an actual effect on the field (besides injury) and teams shouldn't be awarded yardage in these situations. Players should be fined, disciplined and suspended, yes. Obviously the league wants to prevent these situations from occurring but penalizing a team on the field for these annoys me. A team does not gain a competitive edge over another by celebrating excessively or taunting. Not even close. I feel that unless the conduct displayed by the player passes the natural effect test for "excessive" or "brutal" a flag should not be thrown. When I mean natural effect test I mean anyone who saw the play, regardless, would agree. I don't feel like refs are doing that anymore. There are too many judgment calls being made. They are really picky about pass interference on one play yet on another let the contact slide.

It's gotten to the point where I feel like the league and owners are using the refs against the players--although I admit that's one wacky conspiracy theory--by threatening them with the rule book. Basically saying "look, if you don't want to play 18 games that's fine but we can make these 16 games frustrating as fuck for you."

This season I've also started to lose my passion for football. I can barely watch games anymore without screaming at a referee and it doesn't matter which team is playing. They have too big of an impact. It could be me but I'm losing my patience.

I also agree with Peter King about the pass interference penalty. Different referees clearly have differing views on what is and what isn't pass interference. And because this is a passing league now it should be changed to a 10 yard penalty or maybe an automatic first down penalty. The whole spot of the ball thing is ridiculous.

I also agree with Nonstop about how teams and players gain reputations for specific calls and tend to get called more often because of it. I find this also to be ridiculous.

Lastly, in an era where most couch potatoes can rewind a play and figure out the correct outcome within a few seconds, I can't understand why we still don't review every play. It's as simple as putting a few guys in front of a TV with the technology to see plays from different angles. If they notice something they call down to the ref and inform them. Instead of having referees on the field making calls based on only what they see at the time you'd have referees sitting in a booth with the ability to see EVERYTHING and watch it as many times as possible. More penalties may be called but you'd god damn know they were the right call.

Like I said, many of you probably won't agree with me. In fact, me losing my passion for watching football could be an entirely personal thing and have nothing to do with the referees. But the game has been changing lately in ways I don't like. The league is becoming so overly concerned with issues of injuries, health and public image that they've destroyed the bonds they had with the players and the fans in order to change the nation's overall perception of the league. I think Goodell's personal conduct policies are bad for the league not because of the discipline aspect but because they make players out to be thugs. By creating and enacting these policies the league's admitting that they need the policies in place to stop players from engaging in criminal activities. They're admitting that their players are indeed criminals and need extra punishment outside of the law. What about due process?

It's just not fun anymore. I can't just turn on a game and watch good 'ol football. It might just be me (or possibly the lack of quality teams to watch). [/rant]
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I agree that we have the technology to inspect every play closely. I think that the use of technology should go both ways, though. I think replay should be used to overturn bad calls just as often as it is used to enforce penalties not assessed by the officials. In other words, I believe every penalty and every whistle should be reviewable. Officials are way too eager to blow their whistles before the play is truly dead nowadays. Had the officials not swallowed their whistles in the Giants/Patriots Super Bowl, the Patriots would have been undefeated that year.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago
I'm right there with you djcubez. I thought that there was no way I wasn't going to enjoy the Packers/Bears game on Monday night. The refs found a way to ruin it for me.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
A few points. I do agree with protecting against helmet-to-helmet hits as we're learning new things about concussions we didn't know before. Several players have gone crazy, literally. Their brains turn to jello. Pretty nasty reading about it in detail.

Excessive celebration I agree with you. Taunting is a who cares issue. If a grown man gets taunted, well, maybe he needs to step up his game. If someone taunts and gets humiliated the next play, he ends up looking like a jackass.

I used to be for pass interference as is. Now QBs are intentionally throwing the ball up and hoping for a PI penalty. That's bs. To counter that, maybe make it a 5-yard automatic first down like defensive holding. That will take out the intentionally throwing it up and holding for a PI penalty.

The other thing, I'd let more stuff go and only call blatant fouls. That's how my friends and I used to play basketball. It's so much more fun that way. I hated playing with someone who called everything. It slowed the game down.

Same thing with football. The more flags are called, the slower the game gets, and slow = boring. Like soccer. I'd rather go to the dentist than watch a soccer game.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
djcubez
  • djcubez
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

I used to be for pass interference as is. Now QBs are intentionally throwing the ball up and hoping for a PI penalty. That's bs. To counter that, maybe make it a 5-yard automatic first down like defensive holding. That will take out the intentionally throwing it up and holding for a PI penalty.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I completely agree with you but I wish it was that easy. The problem that I see is if a QB throws a 40-50 yard bomb into single coverage what smart CB wouldn't drag the receiver down and take the 5 yard penalty? It's a tough call.
zombieslayer
13 years ago

I completely agree with you but I wish it was that easy. The problem that I see is if a QB throws a 40-50 yard bomb into single coverage what smart CB wouldn't drag the receiver down and take the 5 yard penalty? It's a tough call.

"djcubez" wrote:

D'oh!

Well, I guess that blows that theory all to hell.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I would advocate that they balance the issue out. If they insist on keeping the PI penalty as it is, add a penalty (analogous to intentional grounding) for an obviously deliberate gambit to snag a PI penalty. That is, if the QB blindly bombs it downfield not to complete the pass but merely to draw the penalty, penalize him instead. I suggest a 10-yard penalty and loss of down.

Yes, this gets into the unfortunate grey area of intentions and judgment calls, but I think it's obvious more often than not to those of us watching the game when the QB is making a legitimate attempt to complete the pass and when he's merely lobbing a jump ball in the hopes of drawing a specious, game-changing penalty. If nothing else, the angle of the pass and the defensive formation give some pretty good clues.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Another possibility would be to implement a procedure analogous to the jump ball alternate possession in basketball. If the WR and DB have to fight for possession of the ball, blow the whistle dead and award alternate possession. If possession went to the defense, it could be treated as an interception. Not only would this make the game more exciting, it would force QBs to be more careful with the ball to avoid putting their WRs in that bad situation. DBs still would not be allowed to mug the WR -- they would have to make an obvious attempt to go for the ball, not merely prevent the WR from catching it.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Or another possibility, only call the fragrant fouls. Allow minimal contact during a jump ball situation. That would lead to more INTs which would take out the QB throws the ball up and prays for a PI penalty scenarios.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
13 years ago

"zombieslayer" wrote:

D'oh!

Well, I guess that blows that theory all to hell.

"djcubez" wrote:

Make it 15 yards or 1/2 the distance to where the foul happened. Which ever is greater. Would still turn the play into a 1st down but not be quite as damaging instead of 50yard penaltly it would b2 25.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.