RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
First off, I agree the injuries are substantial and clearly have an effect on the game, there is no doubt about that. But I also think their impact is overblown.

Lots of teams have injuries. The Vikings don't have Rice (Finley), Griffen (Harris), Sullivan (Tauscher), Chris Cook, Brian Robison, Williams/Sanford (Safeties), etc. Plus Shanicoe is not 100%, Harvin has migraine issues, etc. Why doesn't everyone give Childress the same pass given to Mike McCarthy (by some) for injuries?

While I agree, our injuries are more than the Vikings, its not that big of a difference. Plus last year, if I remember correctly, the Vikings played without EJ Henderson and Antoine Winfield in the playoffs.

Injuries are the easy excuse out. I think the last 2 games were closer than they should be if we were 100% but they are still winnable games and the reasons we lost them were not because of injuries.

That Bears game, Rodgers intentional grounding, Jones fumble, Mike McCarthy wasting a timeout with a stupid challenge. None of that relates to injuries.

The Redskins game, two wasted timeouts in the 2nd half, Rodgers not getting out of bounds, the wasted time after the not running out of bounds, meaning we settle for a 53 yard FG to win. Plus we had the ball TWICE in OT to win and did nothing.

The Dolphins game, that stupid man over the centre, while it was contraversial, I still don't understand, why he's near the centre, why not coach that? Plus the OT possession, you have the ball AT home to win and you go 3 and out. The running twice with Kuhn at the end of regulation against a goalline that stopped Peterson 3 times. If it wasn't for Rodgers heads up play, we were going to run some sort of shotgun throw for 4th and goal.

The Eagles game, we got destroyed by Vick, the Lions game, if Woodson gets called for that PI or Lions go for the long FG, we might have lost that (AT Home). Plus all the penalties this year (thats on coaching, not injuries).

We could easily be 6-0, I understand that, but we coud easily be 1-5. I feel the injuries are masking the inherent weaknesses in the team. Even when we were "healthier" did we really impress against the Eagles, Lions or Bears?

I still don't understand why more play actions weren't run in the 2nd half against the Dolphins, they seemed to be working wonders.

I am not saying fire MM/TT or anything, you can't do that, its mid-season plus heading into a lockout year. But I think the injuries have clouded in a way how crappy this team has been this year (even when "healthier").

We have to fix this, if we lose to the Vikings, its not a "must win" because its week 7 but its pretty important. The Vikings have injuries too, there is no way we should not be able to beat them AT home even with injuries. The gameplan should be pick on Lito Sheppard, pick on Lito Sheppard, then pick on Lito Sheppard. He gave up 3 TDs yesterday. If we don't pick on him, that can't be blamed on injuries?
blank
nerdmann
13 years ago
MM finds a way to .500 at the midpoint of EVERY season, injuries or not. The only injuries we don't have depth to fill are Finley and CM3, and we still have plenty enough talent to win games.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Stevetarded
13 years ago
What do the Vikings have to do with anything? They have less substantial injuries and less wins. If you want to make the comparison why don't you mention how they could likely have 0-1 wins had they been hit with injuries like GB has.
blank
musccy
13 years ago
I don't think the injuries are a viable excuse for the offensive struggles.

The D is another story. It's a mystery to me why the 'fins didn't put up 30 points yesterday. It seemed that there was nothing we could do to stop runs between the tackles, plus we had ZERO pass rush.

I don't know if it's an excuse, but no doubt an explanation. The amount of injuries is almost unprecedented - 6 of our top 18 or so defenders (9 if you included Bigby, Harrell, and Harris) is stunning.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Injuries or not, if our offensive line doesn't get better, we will not.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
What is the difference between an excuse and an explanation? Sounds like semantical hairsplitting to me.

Are the having an effect or are they not? If they are, does it really matter if it's an excuse or an explanation?
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
13 years ago

What is the difference between an excuse and an explanation? Sounds like semantical hairsplitting to me.

Are the having an effect or are they not? If they are, does it really matter if it's an excuse or an explanation?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

To me, it comes down to who's talking. One could argue that the folks running the team saying "but look at the injuries!" would be trying to excuse the losses and general messy play - I wouldn't make that argument, but it could be made. At least it's their job to explain these things and try to make improvements.

I, on the other hand, am just a fan. It's not my job to explain what's going on; I have only to try to make some sense of it, and that's if I choose to do so. So when I use my eyes and my brain and conclude that it's kind of hard to play winning football with nearly every key position being played by 2nd-to-3rd string players (certainly this is the case on the defense), I think that's an explanation.

Personally, those throwing the "excuse" mantra around have their own agendas - they're also the ones who least like the current regime. "Other teams have injuries!" Yes, they do - how many, and at what positions? Are they winning despite those injuries? These questions aren't asked, because the answers would weaken the position that Thompson and McCarthy are truly to blame for a slow start.
blank
warhawk
13 years ago

What do the Vikings have to do with anything? They have less substantial injuries and less wins. If you want to make the comparison why don't you mention how they could likely have 0-1 wins had they been hit with injuries like GB has.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Yeah, I find it funny to compare us with the Vikes and they have two wins.

We have the double whammy of a cumulative effect and the effect of losing difference makers on both sides of the ball. When you lose Barnett, Burnett, Chillar, Pickett, and, Neal, you cannot expect to see the defense perform at it's best. Throw in Mathews and now you have a REAL problem.

It's not about excuses it's about facts. Anybody dispute that if we have Mathews and two or three of these other guys suited up we don't win that game? C'mon. Every time we DID produce some kind of pressure on Henne he threw it over everybodys head.

It' one thing to fight through two or three injuries but when half your team out there is second and third team guys and players that wouldn't even be on the team don't tell me it doesn't affect the quality of play. For one thing Capers can't call any where near the same kind of game he would if those guys were out there. Your better players can do MORE things BETTER and gives the Coordinater many more options on what he calls.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Well, injuries aside, our D held the Dolphins to 20 points in regulation. You said nearly every key position is being played by 2nd-to-3rd string players on D. Yet the D did an outstanding job, especially considering the time Henne had to throw the ball. Wish Rodgers had that much time.

Injuries are an explanation. I'm not arguing that.

What I'm not buying is injuries are the reason we lost in Miami. I think the reason is simply our O failed to put up more than 20 points in regulation at home against an average team. That's not acceptable, even with the future perennial Pro Bowler Finley out and our #1 RB out.

We still have playmakers in Greg Jennings and Donald Driver. Jackson has progressed a lot. While he's still no Ryan Grant, I still wonder why we don't utilize Jackson in screens more. I still don't get why we don't try to setup more YAC opportunities more. And lastly, I don't understand why Mike McCarthy hasn't changed the gameplan to get passes off faster as it's obvious our OL sucks and Aaron is taking too many hits.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
An excuse would be "If we didn't have all the injuries we'd be 6 - 0!". Or "If the officials would stop bagging on the Packers, we'd have won!".

I don't think many, if any, are saying that. I think what we're saying is, with all the injuries, we're still in the game, but just not getting it done with what we have. Which is very transparent.

And others are saying we need better coaching and smarter players who don't commit as many boneheaded penalties.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (14h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (15h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.