Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101001/PKR07/101001134/Pete-Dougherty-column-No-running-game-no-Super-Bowl- 

This looks like early 2007 all over again.

You might remember. From the start of the preseason, the Packers couldnt run the ball, and by the second quarter of Week 2 at Giants Stadium, coach Mike McCarthy had seen enough. He threw out all pretense of balance, spread the field and had Brett Favre throw, and throw, and throw.

And this year? Since losing halfback Ryan Grant to a season-ending ankle injury in the first half of the first game, the Packers have had no juice running the ball. On Monday night at Chicagos Soldier Field, McCarthy had seen enough, spread the field and had Aaron Rodgers throw, and throw, and throw.

No doubt, the opponent played a role. The Bears have the NFLs top-rated run defense, and sitting back in their Cover 2 scheme, they invited attack by a ball-control passing game.

But McCarthys play calling also acknowledged the obvious: Without Grant, the Packers cant worry about balance.

The guys who are playing the best are wearing jersey numbers in the 80s, Rodgers said this week. Thats kind of the reason were getting those guys on the field as much as we can.

Which leads to the question: How heavily can a team tilt toward the pass and still win a championship? Can it spread the field, throw 70 percent of the time, and get to the championship game?

If not, is there anyone on the Packers roster who can be 2007s Grant? Remember, at this time in 07, even Grant wasnt Grant. He was just the unknown No. 4 halfback, acquired for a sixth-round draft pick at the end of training camp, on a team that didnt have a No. 1 runner.

As to the former question, conventional wisdom and history say you might win some games passing to the extreme, but you need the threat of a viable run game to win a title. Even New Orleans last year, with its unmatched talent in the passing game, had a pass-to-run ratio of 62.5-to-37.5. In contrast, the Packers through the first six games of 07 were 69.3-to-30.7.

But its at least worth considering whether passing games have evolved enough to cast aside conventional wisdom.

I dont think you can just apply that (question) across the NFL, McCarthy said this week. I think theres other factors involved. Probably what part of the country you play in. How your teams built, as far as your philosophy, offense, defense and special teams. But can it be done? Im sure it could be.

That, in effect, is a hedge, though it suggests at the very least it would be harder to do in Green Bay than, say, San Diego.

The guess here? The Packers abundant talent in the passing game can score plenty of points and win a lot of games. But if they dont find a back who can threaten top defenses or produce in horrendous weather, it could cost them their chance of a championship.

I think youve got to run it, I think youll have to, Rodgers said. One thing that might be lost in this whole 2010, a whole lot of people underestimate the importance of Ryan, maybe not in September and October, but when you get in those cold months and youve got a guy like that who runs downhill and hard. Thats tough to replace right there.

At some point, the weathers going to be bad. We lucked out last year, you have no idea what the weathers going to be like, but if it gets negative-15, negative-20, youre going to have to run the ball effectively. So were going to have to figure out what combination of guys in the backfield can get that done. Because youve got to be realistic, its going to be tough to be effective if its snowing or negative-20 and trying to throw the ball 50 times.

Looking back to 07, the Packers spread game was a success, as far as it went. They were 5-1 before Grant got his shot by default in Week 7, and the run-to-pass ratio went from 70-to-30 in the first six games to 55.6-to-44.4 in the final 10.

This year, the sample of games is small (three), but for what its worth, the ratio is 60-to-40 (108 passes and scrambles, 72 rushes), including against Chicago, when they had 47 pass plays and only 13 runs (78.3-to 21.7).

So the parallels to 07 are real. But theres one major difference: Jermichael Finley.

In 07, Favre had one receiver defenses had to try to keep from beating them in Greg Jennings (12 touchdowns in 07), plus the ever-effective Donald Driver (83 receptions). The next-leading receivers were tight end Donald Lee (48 catches), James Jones (47) and Koren Robinson (21).

The Packers at least are comparable at quarterback with Rodgers, and he has Jennings and Finley, who has defenses game-planning to stop him. Combined with a deep corps of receivers (Driver, Jones and Jordy Nelson), this team is better equipped than 07 to win with only a token run game.

But even so, its telling to look back at the Packers loss in the NFC championship game in 07. In the minus-23 wind chill at Lambeau Field, the Packers running game was a liability even with Grant. He gained only 29 yards on 13 carries against a Giants defense that was one of the NFLs best by the end of the year. Favre threw 35 passes (no scrambles), a 71.4-to-28.6 pass-to-run ratio on a brutal day for throwing the ball.

The Giants, on the other hand, had 42 passes and scrambles and 37 runs. Halfbacks Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw rushed for 130 yards.

That game went into overtime, so you can point to any number of reasons they lost, but having no running game on that frigid day ranks right up there.

This year, Finley adds a weapon they lacked in 07. But without Grant, the Packers also have had almost no run game.

Maybe theyll find one. The best chance is via a trade. General Manager Ted Thompsons history argues against him paying a premium for, say, the Bills Marshawn Lynch, but you cant rule it out until the Oct. 19 trade deadline has passed.

Remember, too, that at this time in 07, the Packers didnt know Grant was Grant. But is there a comparable runner on their roster now?

Rodgers said hed like Brandon Jackson to get a couple 20-carry games, but I dont see it. Recently signed Dimitri Nance? Another hard sell, though you never know.

Theres also unknown rookie James Starks. The sixth-round draft pick, who hasnt practiced since failing his physical at the start of training camp because of a hamstring injury, is eligible to play after Week 6. Hes built like Grant and probably is more athletic, though theres no way to know whether he has anything close to Grants power and toughness. In other words, hes a long shot, too.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago
It is a "passing league," but being competent running the ball sure wouldn't hurt. Jackson could get it done, but he needs to hit the hole. He's too tentative. Just bust out, Bjack. Git 'er done.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
I can't wait to see what Starks will bring to the table. But adding a Marshawn Lynch or Deangelo Williams would definitely help.
UserPostedImage
Brettizzle
13 years ago
I think it will be hard to win down the stretch without a decent running game. I think the Packers need to make a move and give up a pick to try and get one of the running backs from Buffalo or Carolina. We have such a good play action but we need a running game to keep the defense honest so we can actually run that play.
Jermichael Finley

We will be in Indianapolis

yooperfan
13 years ago

I think it will be hard to win down the stretch without a decent running game. I think the Packers need to make a move and give up a pick to try and get one of the running backs from Buffalo or Carolina. We have such a good play action but we need a running game to keep the defense honest so we can actually run that play.

"Brettizzle" wrote:

Amen to this!
tonyagnese
13 years ago
Jackson obviously isn't the answer, I'd like to see Nance get an opportunity. Also looking forward to seeing what Starks has..
blank
Brettizzle
13 years ago

Jackson obviously isn't the answer, I'd like to see Nance get an opportunity. Also looking forward to seeing what Starks has..

"tonyagnese" wrote:

I don't think we can count on Starks, the kid missed his entire senior year and started on the PUP list. I don't think he will play at all this year, I hope I'm wrong but I also hope Ted Thompson doesn't think he is the answer.
Jermichael Finley

evad04
13 years ago
Not in total defense of Jackson, but has anyone else noticed that a number of his runs come on plays with little or no blocking? In the game against Philly Jackson demonstrated some nice pop and ability to extend plays after the first hit. I just don't think there's been a lot there since Philly. I agree he's a bit tentative, but I've also seen too many instances where he's contacted well behind the line of scrimmage.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Maybe he's not getting holes because the OL is constantly being slammed by the DL trying to pass protect and is getting worn out.
UserPostedImage
Brettizzle
13 years ago

Not in total defense of Jackson, but has anyone else noticed that a number of his runs come on plays with little or no blocking? In the game against Philly Jackson demonstrated some nice pop and ability to extend plays after the first hit. I just don't think there's been a lot there since Philly. I agree he's a bit tentative, but I've also seen too many instances where he's contacted well behind the line of scrimmage.

"evad04" wrote:

This. I think we need to actually run the ball a little more to get an actual idea of what he can do. No back is going to go anywhere if they are constantly getting hit in the back field.
Jermichael Finley

Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.