Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/104050418.html 

Green Bay Having been present and accounted for every practice since the middle of August, Green Bay Packers linebacker Frank Zombo has earned a level of trust that banged-up teammate Brad Jones hasn't.

As a result, Zombo will make his second consecutive start Sunday against Detroit.

Zombo was a surprise starter against Chicago Monday night after Jones had been limited in practice all week with a knee injury and was listed as questionable on the injury report. Coach Mike McCarthy held out hope at the end of the week that Jones would play, but he made him one of the inactives against the Bears.

Zombo got the call over Brady Poppinga, who also had knee issues during the week. On Wednesday, Jones was a full participant in practice, but Zombo is slated to start.

"It is something we have talked about here since I have arrived," McCarthy said Wednesday. "You have to be available and you need to be accountable, and Brad is going through an injury situation right now.

"I'm not sure if he is healthy enough to play Sunday, so we're going to play the prepared players. We're going to play the experienced players."

Jones has been battling injuries since the first day of training camp when he hurt his back. He missed four days with that and then another 11 days and two exhibition games with a shoulder problem.

McCarthy has grown increasingly frustrated with holding positions open for players he hopes will be ready Sunday. He decided this week that unless it's a position held by a longtime veteran (for example, left tackle Chad Clifton), he's going to go with what he's got.

"I felt as a staff, particularly the last two weeks, that we have been way too up-and-down during the course of the week of trying to prepare players based on their health situation," McCarthy said. "It was addressed today (with the team), the ability to prepare and play the prepared player over going back and forth all week. Frank Zombo is the starting outside linebacker today."

Going with Zombo wouldn't be a slam-dunk if the undrafted free agent from Central Michigan hadn't played as well as he did against the Bears. Zombo played both outside linebacker positions, moving whenever defensive coordinator Dom Capers wanted to shift Clay Matthews to the right side.

Zombo had a sack and pressured Bears quarterback Jay Cutler several times, nearly making a game-changing play with his hit on Cutler, which hurried him into throwing an interception. Zombo, however, was called for a personal foul for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cutler, erasing the turnover

It's likely Zombo will be fined by the league, but he did enough to impress more than a couple of people with his pass rush. He has two sacks and a quarterback hit in less than five quarters of play.

"I thought Frank played very well," Matthews said. "He's young and he's only going to continue to get better. I know with myself, I was watching Detroit film from last year and it wasn't very good.

"I had a few moves here and there, but I think overall as a pass rusher and outside linebacker I feel like I'm light years ahead of where I was last year. I think the same goes for him, being a young guy starting on 'Monday Night Football.' He really got after it. He was physical, made some plays. I think we're happy where he's at."

After back-to-back three-sack games, Matthews found the path to Cutler congested with blockers, some of whom he said went to great lengths to shield him from the quarterback. That kind of attention is going to be the norm for teams that don't think they have adequate personnel to block Matthews one-on-one most of the time.

Despite being shadowed, Matthews had two hits on Cutler, caused two holding penalties and was in Cutler's face a couple of more times.

"There was one play that was comical," Matthews said of the attention he got. "I ran upfield, I beat the tight end and I felt like I was getting some pressure. On the sidelines I saw the (video) screen captured (it); there were three guys running after me."

That's where Zombo comes into play. Every great 3-4 team has two outside linebackers who complement one another, and while Matthews is the designated sack guy, the linebacker on the right side often has a clearer path to the quarterback.

A defensive end at Central Michigan, the 6-3, 254-pound Zombo has the build of a 3-4 outside linebacker and has made a quick transition to his new position. His pass rush is better than Jones', but he has to prove himself stopping the run and dropping into coverage.

Against the Bears, Zombo thought he fared well considering it was his first start.

"I found out midweek I was going to start and I felt confident in this position and me playing it," he said after the game. "I thought I did fairly well. Had a few (quarterback) hits. I felt like I was prepared."

Matthews said he'd be happy to have Zombo as his new running mate at outside linebacker, the same as he would Jones or Poppinga, especially if Zombo can begin to consistently win the one-on-one matchups.

The defense seemed to be a sack, forced fumble or interception away from beating the Bears, and Zombo will be in a good position to make that happen in future weeks.

"It's my responsibility to take him under my wing and help him go through the same process I went through, and kind of bring him up to speed," Matthews said. "But he knows what he's doing. That's the great thing about him. I don't really need to help him out very much.

"I can give him little bits of what I do here and what I do there, but ultimately he knows what he's doing, so it really comes down to what he's going to do."

UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago

Here is the thing about the pass rush. The line got a push. When GB has their starters playing like Clay Matthews and they scheme to pressure their opponent, that line is going to be a big factor. If the push is like it was tonight for most of the season, I think that's a positive sign.

Regarding Zombo again. You know, if Brad Jones doesn't get his butt on the field, he may not have a full-time job. Zombo has a high motor and he played the run real well tonight. My worry would be him in coverage, but he could be a third-down player as early as this year.

"porky88" wrote:

http://www.packershome.com/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=9715/finish=20/start=20.html 

:)
Finley88Beast
13 years ago
Is Zombo a better pass rusher than Jones?
A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

Is Zombo a better pass rusher than Jones?

"Finley88Beast" wrote:

In a word: Yes.

Jones, on his best day, is an average pass-rusher.

Zombo is relentless. Jones, not so much.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
dfosterf
13 years ago
I really like how this kid is playing.

If he keeps this pace up...what can an offense do?

They can't get an extra guy on CM3 AND him...

I didn't give a DAMN about THIS ONE penalty in the Bears game.

You GO AHEAD AND JACK UP CUTLER, Zombo---the fans will take up a collection to pay the fine. :thumbleft:

As an added bonus, you really should click Kev's link and look at the picture of him. Now tell me that dude doesn't have the look of a complete psycho? You always like that in your linebackers ! :tongue3:

Edit--- I JUST remembered where I have seen "that look" before:

Francis 

:cheers:
doddpower
13 years ago
I love this kid. I was never that sold on Jones anyway. Sure, he was a GREAT pick for the 7th round, but that doesn't mean he is a great starter. I believe Jones is completely adequate and provides great depth. However, I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of coverage for more pass rush as a greater pass rush would improve our coverage anyway.

As Clay Matthews said, he's only going to get better. I'm not worried about the run D. I think he'll be fine there. As long as he continues to improve on his pass rush and coverage I think he's the guy. I have yet to see anything out of Brad Jones this season to make me think he is the better player. As Foster said, I'm ok with the penalty on Cutler. At least he was there to apply the hit and mess up the pass. Sometimes things like that are just hard to avoid.

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOBO!!!!!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Buck
13 years ago
I love this guy I think he will be a stud and with a name like Frank Zombo how can he not be a good OLB.
yyyyeeeeeeeeeeepppppppp!
istanbulpacker
13 years ago
Yeah, I'm in the Zombo camp too. I like Brad Jones. He seems like a sharp, personable guy off the field and performed well last year on the field when given the chance. However, Zombo has a sort of "Rudy"-ethic that you can't hate. That is the tenacity that gets you a starting position.
blank
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
I like both Jones and Zumbo. I just hope one of them develops into an All Pro comliment to C3.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

I really like how this kid is playing.

If he keeps this pace up...what can an offense do?

They can't get an extra guy on CM3 AND him...

I didn't give a DAMN about THIS ONE penalty in the Bears game.

You GO AHEAD AND JACK UP CUTLER, Zombo---the fans will take up a collection to pay the fine. :thumbleft:

As an added bonus, you really should click Kev's link and look at the picture of him. Now tell me that dude doesn't have the look of a complete psycho? You always like that in your linebackers ! :tongue3:

Edit--- I JUST remembered where I have seen "that look" before:

Francis 

:cheers:

"dfosterf" wrote:

Warren Oates...one of those great but underappreciated actors.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (11h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (11h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (11h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (11h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (11h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (14h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (18h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (18h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.