RashaanSalaami
13 years ago
Posted this over on another forum, but here it is for you guys!

Welcome to Week 1's Results of my review of the game with an emphasis on the defensive secondary. I charted the results of the game, while hopefully doing a slightly better job than PFF. Instead of assigning catches to the nearest defender, I attempted to do a better job of trying to figure out responsibilities and put the blame on the defender that was most responsible for the catch. In some instances, if I really can't figure it out, I'll throw it into the "Hole in a Zone/Screen" category and describe the play. I don't claim 100% accuracy, but hope to do a good enough job where the information here is relevant. Other than that, I hope you enjoy this weekly piece, so long as I have access to a replay of the game. I will try to get it up before the "next" week's game if possible.

Week 1 @ Philadelphia Eagles:

UserPostedImage

The QB Rating and Completion Percent may point to Charles Woodson, but Tramon Williams was our best Cover Corner in Week One. He played a spectacular game at LCB for virtually the whole game, which allowed Woodson to move inside and get physical with receivers in the slot, namely Avant. Woodson's numbers probably reflect a better game than he actually had, with Vick missing at least a pass or two under his watch that should have been completions with an accurate QB. Tramon was draped on his receiver in man coverage and quickly found his assignments in zone coverage. He made several highlight plays on the ball and was unfortunate to not come down with at least one.

Though the QB rating is the worst possible against Sam Shields, he actually played an outstanding first game, given his situation. With only 1 year of CB experience under his belt, Shields started his career as a starter for a largely Nickel defense. To be targeted only twice, while going up against Maclin and DeSean Jackson for most of the game is a very good result, even if the two times he was targeted ended up in a TD and a first down (which a tough completion in his zone).

Our safeties played one heck of a game. I didn't see too much of them in the picture and given the explosiveness of the opposing offense, that's a damn good result.

Chillar was our most targeted on the day and also let up the most completions, but that's more the nature of the offense and defense on the field. The Eagles were relegated to attacking us solely with short routes in the middle of the field. Our DBs were taking away too much on the outside, so most of their receivers made catches in the middle of the field. Chillar was almost always a sure tackle soon after the catch.

Brad Jones was victimized on the 27 yard pass to Celek up the seam. He was also the OLB on the screen side, which I officially didn't chalk up to his credit. The play was a 3 man rush while dropping 8 deep into coverage. Seemed like they were playing for a deeper pass, but our DL bit right into the trap, leaving a trio of blockers in front of Jones who was already 10 yards downfield at the time of the pass.

All in all, the Eagles took advantage of deep safeties, finding their long completions in front of them, while eating up the defense on short crossing routes and slants. It's tough to fault the pass D for the near comeback in Week 1. It was Vick's legs and a couple screen passes that did most of the damage on offense.

(Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to add, within reason.)
blank
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago
This is the best post, to date, on this forum - and I cannot compliment your post higher than that. Outstanding effort and great analysis. Excellent work chrisbozz. +2

I have to disagree with one thing: I do not feel the Eagles tried to work the Sam Shields predicament to their favor all that much: they did not try to isolate him a whole lot (Packers usually had Burnett over top of him) and then on the TD Shields gave up, we saw the risk involved with Shields 1-on-1 because he got beat wicked. While the sample size on Shileds is not large enough, it does show a need to be concerned at our nickel position (should opposing defenses try to exploit it).

This next bit though, I do not feel is fair enough to ask of you but I would be very intrigued to get an analysis of the snap breakdowns, so we could get some idea of what Dom is thinking and how he is trying to manage having two rookies (Shields and Burnett) take some major responsibilities in our D (is he asking Collins to stay in the box more, blitzing and calling more bump-and-run, pass-rushing ILBs more - observations of this nature). However, as I said above it is very unfair to ask you to do this, and beyond providing some more context to your work it would not make a huge difference in the reliability of your stats / analysis (assuming your stats are accurate). I do not really have any suggestion for the direction I think you want to take your work in, but one interesting observation might be to catalog the snaps each player plays (or the players you catalog). Again, this may be asking too much of you, but since you asked for suggestions I wanted to try and give you one idea rather than none at all. I think your work is fantastic in its current format as it is. Maybe you might want to consider having a spreadsheet tallying the stats as the season progresses, in addition to week-to-week stats (if you do not plan to do this already).

I would like to add one more thing: I hope that you (or anyone else) do (does) NOT compare your work to that of PFF. You do not have their resources and experience to churn out metrics for our team like they do. It would be a big disservice to compare your work to theirs; their work is outstanding, but so is yours considering (I assume) you are not an "expert" and you probably have a life outside of doing this type of work.

Once again, excellent work. The fact that you point out we had deep safties makes me wonder to what extent Vick was able to run on us as a result of us trying to take the pass away first.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
yooperfan
13 years ago
Excellent piece of work. Thanks for your time and effort. +2
RashaanSalaami
13 years ago

This is the best post, to date, on this forum - and I cannot compliment your post higher than that. Outstanding effort and great analysis. Excellent work chrisbozz. +2

I have to disagree with one thing: I do not feel the Eagles tried to work the Sam Shields predicament to their favor all that much: they did not try to isolate him a whole lot (Packers usually had Burnett over top of him) and then on the TD Shields gave up, we saw the risk involved with Shields 1-on-1 because he got beat wicked. While the sample size on Shileds is not large enough, it does show a need to be concerned at our nickel position (should opposing defenses try to exploit it).

This next bit though, I do not feel is fair enough to ask of you but I would be very intrigued to get an analysis of the snap breakdowns, so we could get some idea of what Dom is thinking and how he is trying to manage having two rookies (Shields and Burnett) take some major responsibilities in our D (is he asking Collins to stay in the box more, blitzing and calling more bump-and-run, pass-rushing ILBs more - observations of this nature). However, as I said above it is very unfair to ask you to do this, and beyond providing some more context to your work it would not make a huge difference in the reliability of your stats / analysis (assuming your stats are accurate). I do not really have any suggestion for the direction I think you want to take your work in, but one interesting observation might be to catalog the snaps each player plays (or the players you catalog). Again, this may be asking too much of you, but since you asked for suggestions I wanted to try and give you one idea rather than none at all. I think your work is fantastic in its current format as it is. Maybe you might want to consider having a spreadsheet tallying the stats as the season progresses, in addition to week-to-week stats (if you do not plan to do this already).

I would like to add one more thing: I hope that you (or anyone else) do (does) NOT compare your work to that of PFF. You do not have their resources and experience to churn out metrics for our team like they do. It would be a big disservice to compare your work to theirs; their work is outstanding, but so is yours considering (I assume) you are not an "expert" and you probably have a life outside of doing this type of work.

Once again, excellent work. The fact that you point out we had deep safties makes me wonder to what extent Vick was able to run on us as a result of us trying to take the pass away first.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Great suggestions, I'll definitely see what I can do to try and incorporate one of your ideas. You're definitely making me work though! :icon_smile:

I do plan on keeping the yearly numbers in addition to the weekly ones.

Considering PFF plans on getting people to pay for their services, I'll try to bring you a portion of what they offer, but free.

Glad to see you enjoyed it! I'll try to get the Buffalo game done as soon as I can.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (6h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (7h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (11h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (11h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
47m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.