RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
I was recently watching clips of the Packers season. I have to give respect to the coaching staff for their offensive game plan overall. I know most people hate Mike McCarthy but honestly if you look at the amount of plays where we have a WR or TE WIDE OPEN, its pretty amazing. If you compare it to other teams, its even more amazing.

Obviously the TEs, WRs are running great routes and Rodgers is finding them with the right reads but our coaching staff is drawing up some good plays IMO. I cannot remember which game it was but there was a game where the commentators were taking about how all game they were setting up the Big package staying and blocking for one play for the TE to release. And Finley I believe it was released late in the game and he was wide open for a HUGE gain.

I still think it is insane for the same team to keep getting so many penalties and the running gameplan seems flawed to me (I swear I am about to get to a compliment!) but I have to give them credit for drawing up and setting up for some of those pass plays. I think we take for granted those wide-open shots down the field. Cheers to MM, I still don't like you for some reason but I will give credit where credit is due.
blank
Greg C.
14 years ago
The Packers are within 29 points of the franchise record for points in a season. Not bad considering that there are hundreds of people on the Internet who could call plays way better than Mike McCarthy if given the opportunity. I know. They've told me so.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
As I have said before, my objection with Mike McCarthy is not his overall bodz of work -- it's his situational choices. He seems to get intimidated in big games and complacent against inferior opponents.

But we're winning, so I will give him just credit and root for my team. I don't have to like his style anymore than I like the styles of some of my professors, even when I acknowledge they're good professors.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
McCarthy is very solid as a playcaller until he gets a lead or has a chance to take a lead late in a game. Then, he naturally gets conservative which could be a product of being mentored by Marty Schottenheimer. Still, for every "what are you doing" type of play, McCarthy's offense always seems to score a lot of points. That's all you can expect out of them when you look at the big picture.

I've been impressed with him this season. He's grown as a playcaller this 2nd half because he's adjusted his style so much mid-season. GB went from a down the field passing team trying to copy the New Orleans Saints to a short passing attack that setsup everything. Deep pass, run etc.....
zombieslayer
14 years ago
I agree with Porky.

In the NFL, I've said it over and over again, aggression is a good thing. You keep scoring until the fat lady sings. You never rush 3 people when a sack wins the game.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

I agree with Porky.

In the NFL, I've said it over and over again, aggression is a good thing. You keep scoring until the fat lady sings. You never rush 3 people when a sack wins the game.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

And the Patriots did that and that's one of the few things I liked about them. They kept the pedal to the metal. I hope we do that from the next game on out. Screw sportsmanship, if you can't stop us, we are not going to do it for you!
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Second half of the season has been much better. More short plays setting up the big hitters. Early they were trying to use big hitters to set up big hitters. Early the bad blocking and slow developing plays almost cost us a QB. Luckily the Oline has solidified some and the O Coaching realized that we are a WCO team.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
dyeah_gb
14 years ago
I will be the first to admit that I have to eat crow for calling for MM's head during mid season (I stated that if we went less than 8-8 that he should be fired). As Twins and Porky have said, I believe that setting up with short plays has been critical for the difference. I still see a bit too many long plays in the game plan early which I think has led to the feeling that we start slow due to the challenge for executing these plays. I don't know whether that is on Rodgers or Mike McCarthy though.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Dulak
14 years ago

I will be the first to admit that I have to eat crow for calling for Mike McCarthy's head during mid season (I stated that if we went less than 8-8 that he should be fired). As Twins and Porky have said, I believe that setting up with short plays has been critical for the difference. I still see a bit too many long plays in the game plan early which I think has led to the feeling that we start slow due to the challenge for executing these plays. I don't know whether that is on Rodgers or Mike McCarthy though.

"dyeah_gb" wrote:

ya I made comments on this - wondering where our screens and short plays went too and how come arizona and min were doing this with older QBs that couldnt move; while we got the most mobile QB that was getting sacked like crazy.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
If we go 11-5, it will be about the only correct prediction I've made all year -- but it's the one I want most to happen.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (17h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (22h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (22h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (22h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.