IronMan
14 years ago

No

You only do that when you are already winning.

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Westbrook did a similar kneel down in 2007. It helped to salt away the victory for the Eagles too, though it pissed a lot of fantasy owners off.

I don't know if Jones should have done something similar. All I know is that I was hoping they would go for the first down instead of the touchdown. When we scored the touchdown with 2:06 left on the clock, I turned to the people I was watching the game with and said: "We're going to lose." Capers had run a prevent defense a couple of times on the previous drive, so I was pretty sure he would on the ensuing drive as well, and considering Roethlisberger already had well over 400 yards by this point, not to mention the functional equivalent of two timeouts remaining, I was pretty sure he was going to chew our defense up.

Mike McCarthy is so lucky the officiating crew gave him that one timeout back. He almost made the same mistake that Lovie Smith had made the week prior.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
If Jones would have knelt at the 1. Score would have been 28 - 30, right? that means, the clock would have had just over 2:00 minutes on it, right?
Pittsburgh would have had one timeout left plus the two minute warning, right?

My head is aching trying to think about this as I type.

1st down, kneel, clock stops at 2:00
2nd down, kneel, clock stops at 1:55 by timeout from Pittsburgh
3rd down, kneel, clock goes down to 1:15
4th down, kick FG, clock goes down to 1:10

GB 31 - Pitt 30

Then we kickoff, who knows how much of a return we give up. Steelers only need to get to the 33 to be in field goal range.

I don't know if I like that idea too much. That's not even factoring in that Crosby is less than automatic to put it kindly.

I think we went about it the right way offensively, save that I feel we should have ran the ball a few more times to eat up the clock to get it under the 2:00 warning. I don't like giving the other team a free timeout like that.

I don't like how we played so cautiously against them on defense. If Brandon Chillar doesn't commit that penalty, do we still get the interception? If so, we win.

Bottom line, our defense should have been able to hold the Steelers from going 81 yards in 125 or so seconds.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
No Zero, because the throw and catch and kneel would have stayed inbounds - the clock would have been wound down to 2 minutes for the 1st down play. The first down play would start at 2:00 and wind downwards. I did go through the clock management in my first post 😉
blank
shield4life
14 years ago

This is something that has been floating around in my head for a bit. Rodgers lofts one to James Jones who takes it over his head, and runs it in for a TD. That's 6 points to go up 34-30. Roethlisberger has 2:06 to lead a come back drive with 1 TO left.

Scenario 2:

James Jones takes the catch and runs it to the 1 yard line and takes a knee. Packers have a 1st down with 2:00 left. Steelers have 1 TO left.

Rodgers takes a knee. That's 1:57 with Steelers TO. Rodgers takes another knee. 1:17 left on the clock after the 40 second runoff. Rodgers takes a third knee. 0:37 left, kick a field goal from about 25 yards out (lets leave the "Crosby would miss it anyway" rants out of this one).

That gives Roethlisberger 0:37 to move into FG range for a game winning kick by Reed, but no TO left.

Hmmmm.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Good scenario would work, good post. I say he should of done it. 37 seconds left for Pits to get in FG. Assuming you kick the ball that's another 2-4 seconds at least meaning they'd have about 32 seconds to get in FG position with no T.O. could of worked.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
If we were in the lead already, I would say sure, hit the deck and run the clock. We were behind. You never, ever IMO pass on a score when you are behind.

Maybe he could have run slower and chewed up the 3 seconds so that last play never happens.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
14 years ago
haha pft, good idea.

someone mentioned westbrook, but if i'm not mistaken, the eagles were winning at that point. we were losing, and only ~2 min left. take the score that requires them to score a TD...as zero mentioned, and I have before...i don't know how the hell Cullen DIDN'T take down BR, and if not for chillar's penalty, there is no discussion.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I don't understand the reasoning some are expressing here. Why are you assuming the Packers would have kicked a field goal? They could have burned some time off the clock and still gone for a touchdown.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

No Zero, because the throw and catch and kneel would have stayed inbounds - the clock would have been wound down to 2 minutes for the 1st down play. The first down play would start at 2:00 and wind downwards. I did go through the clock management in my first post ;)

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Ahh, very good, yes it would have.

That would change my thinking all together.

We did have Quinn Johnson activated so I think maybe we could have punched it in, if not, used a lot of time off the clock with three runs.
UserPostedImage
El3ment12
14 years ago
what we should have done is stop the damn steelers from scoring in 1 min.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (18h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.