evad04
14 years ago

I didn't get to see the first Vikings game, but I can say that the entire first half of last night's game, I was having flashbacks to the 2007 Cowboys game in which Favre inexplicably came out throwing long bombs that were promptly intercepted. Time after time, McCarthy's gameplanning seems to break down in the really big games. It's like he out-thinks and intimidates himself. A little less trickery and a lot more playing to our personnel's strengths would be a welcome change.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

t

Outclassed and outcoached, the story of Mike McCarthy in big games!!

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Didn't A-Rod come in and direct the offense with relative success in that Cowboys game? So ... when Favre failed (looked like a nutcase in that came) it's McCarthy's poor gameplan. Then Rodgers comes in and ...

Just wondering. Who gets the credit? I say follow the trend on these boards. When Rodgers came in against the Cowboys two years ago, it wasn't McCarthy's playcalling at ALL -- it was Rodgers playing well.

Now, Rodgers leads the NFL in QB rating (not the be-all-end-all statistic, and yes, he's been sacked 31 times and that's the big problem) but none of the credit goes to the head coach.

I've been accused now formally by buckeye as being a McCarthy apologist/defender (see the shot box). I really don't think that's what I'm doing. I do however think that threads that call for his firing are premature and unwarranted. I just think we need to see the positives along with the negatives.

If Rodgers is -- sans the ridiculous volume of sacks -- having a very good year, are we to assume it's happening in a vacuum? Sure, Rodgers is the absolute shit (which I'd agree with) but the playcalling is crap and our head coach sucks. This is such a logical disconnect it makes me sick to my stomach. Rodgers is the quarterback he is in at least moderate respect to the coach with whom he's built a strong relationship with: McCarthy.

Rodgers can't be playing great without McCarthy's impact, but NO ONE is making that argument. One of the reasons why is the seemingly horny obsession with blaming just about everything on our head coach.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Rockmolder
14 years ago

20 Jay Cutler CHI

Only in Chicago can you trade for a somewhat proven QB and screw him up totally. That town has some sort of anti-QB-force-field over it.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
evad04, if you were a little more open minded and less quick to judge, you might understand what I'm trying to say. I have been giving Mike McCarthy credit for a great deal of Aaron Rodgers' exceptional performance. I have stated explicitly and repeatedly that he does have the intelligence and ability to create good gameplans, and when he does, our team excels. In the third quarter, we came out with the kind of strategy we should have been employing from the first play of the first quarter -- and it worked brilliantly. In the 2007 Cowboys game, when Rodgers took over in relief, he played a short-pass, quick-strike game that also worked very well -- and was precisely what everyone expected the Packers to play coming into the game. It was the early attempts at subterfuge that put us two scores down. The moment Favre reared back to uncork those bombs, I was on my feet screaming -- well before they fell into the hands of the waiting defenders. It was a strategy that made no sense.

I readily acknowledge McCarthy is able to draft an excellent gameplan when he doesn't overthink himself. That doesn't mean I won't call him to task when he screws up. In fact, it's because I know he can do it that I judge him so harshly. It's not his talent I question -- it's his stubborness I despise.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
I didn't drink a drop yesterday, but had laid in a case of Blue Moon.

The temperature in the garage is dropping rapidly.

That's all I got right now. It's a good one, though. :icon_smile:

Oh, and my quarterback is incredibly friggin' awesome when I consider the lack of help he gets from his line and/or running backs...

At least I know for sure he is trying to make a play. People seem to bitch about some sacks that are "on him"... He ought to wear those as badges of honor...He is a gamer.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Substitute some Franziskaner for the Blue Moon, old buddy. It'll do you good. 😉
UserPostedImage
evad04
14 years ago

evad04, if you were a little more open minded and less quick to judge, you might understand what I'm trying to say. I have been giving Mike McCarthy credit for a great deal of Aaron Rodgers' exceptional performance. I have stated explicitly and repeatedly that he does have the intelligence and ability to create good gameplans, and when he does, our team excels. In the third quarter, we came out with the kind of strategy we should have been employing from the first play of the first quarter -- and it worked brilliantly. In the 2007 Cowboys game, when Rodgers took over in relief, he played a short-pass, quick-strike game that also worked very well -- and was precisely what everyone expected the Packers to play coming into the game. It was the early attempts at subterfuge that put us two scores down. The moment Favre reared back to uncork those bombs, I was on my feet screaming -- well before they fell into the hands of the waiting defenders. It was a strategy that made no sense.

I readily acknowledge McCarthy is able to draft an excellent gameplan when he doesn't overthink himself. That doesn't mean I won't call him to task when he screws up. In fact, it's because I know he can do it that I judge him so harshly. It's not his talent I question -- it's his stubborness I despise.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

It's not a lack of open-mindedness. Let's be real here: if Rodgers was playing any better (which would probably mean better gameplans, eh?) he'd be playing better than any QB, ever. Our problems are well documented, and they almost exclusively start and end with our offensive line troubles.

No need to be defensive. I'm still waiting for a sound explanation of all these downfield passes in the first half. That isn't what I saw. Help me understand it (which is hard to do, I understand -- it's not like I have any "film" on the game). I don't remember a half of football overloaded with trickery (something that, by the way is lauded when it works -- like when McCarthy calls a flea flicker from our inverted wishbone set). I didn't think it was overtly "finesse" either. I think the two halves of football aren't so completely different in production BECAUSE of playcalling. If that is how you feel -- and it's evident to anyone who reads you that you're an obviously intelligent person -- then let me understand it with concrete examples.

I want to know how McCarthy's playcalling was the neutralizing factor in the first half. I want someone to address the fact that pressure was constant and rarely at the hands of more than four defensive rushers (leaving, of coruse, seven men in coverage). I want someone to explain how the short quick passing game is a panacea against a defensive front that can apply pressure quickly while the other seven defenders have a numbers advantage over the receiving targets AND have the advantage of staring at the QBs eyes -- which have to be moving a mile a minute because he's being pressured incessantly. I would like MORE THAN ANYTHING for someone to ground their criticism of McCarthy's playcalling with concrete examples and I want someone to adequately assess how it was different from the first half.

To me it wasn't an entirely different approach in the second half. It was much the same.

This is certainly a big issue. It warrants an indepth and complicated-but-hopefully-worthwhile conclusion.

I'm just not sold on McCarthy's supposedly uninspired first half playcalling being the reason.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
dfosterf
14 years ago

Substitute some Franziskaner for the Blue Moon, old buddy. It'll do you good. ;)

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

19 bucks more a case.

Full moon road-dog theory precluded the purchase.

I only go Franziskaner on festive occasions.

Blue Moon is for mourning.

and 19 bucks cheaper, lol
evad04
14 years ago

Substitute some Franziskaner for the Blue Moon, old buddy. It'll do you good. ;)

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Are you going the Dunkel-Weisse route? I hope so. One of my favorites.
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

Rodgers played a poor game in the first half yesterday but played an exceptional game in the second half.. that speaks well to him overall.

I care less about the QB rating.. I seen what I need to see in the second half yesterday.

The first half, he was clearly pushing too hard and very frustrated.

He went into the locker room at half, and got his composure back for the second half. That means the world to me over his overall QB rating.

"pack93z" wrote:

Totally agree!

I get a little peeved with articles saying Aaron needs to be more aggressive to become a better a play maker.

I saw a QB yesterday that did what the elite QBs do - bring his team back into a game they had no reason to be in. People forget that the Offense was 28 yards away from taking the lead. That's surreal considering how poorly we played in the first half.

It's also similar to what Aaron did against Carolina last year. He came out in the second half and brought his team back into a game they had no business being in. Heck against the Panthers, he got his team into the lead with a unreal completion % around 80% in the second half.

The dude has shown he is a franchise QB.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
El3ment12
14 years ago
Ugh, I'm so sick of Rodgers doing amazing but we still lose. Why does that always happen??
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : could*
Zero2Cool (22h) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (23h) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (23h) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.