Greg C.
14 years ago
I'm skeptical, and here's why. The NFC West is pretty much tied with the AFC West as the worst division in football. And the Niners have beaten two NFC West teams so far. The Seahawks had beaten the Rams in week one, so either the Niners or Seahawks were going to be 2-0 after last Sunday's game, when they played each other.

The Niners do have a very good running back, but I know very little about their quarterback or receivers. I hear that their defense is playing well. I like it that Mike Singletary is their coach, but is he really good or is he just the kind of guy who looks like a good coach on TV?

We should find out more about this team when they play at Minnesota on Sunday. Let's just hope Peter King doesn't pick them to win.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I hope they are, at least for next week.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
shall soon be answered. I have liked the 9ers D for a couple years, and Singletary is going to keep them motivated. If they can get to a mid range offense, they will be tough.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
dfosterf
14 years ago

I'm skeptical, and here's why. The NFC West is pretty much tied with the AFC West as the worst division in football. And the Niners have beaten two NFC West teams so far. The Seahawks had beaten the Rams in week one, so either the Niners or Seahawks were going to be 2-0 after last Sunday's game, when they played each other.

The Niners do have a very good running back, but I know very little about their quarterback or receivers. I hear that their defense is playing well. I like it that Mike Singletary is their coach, but is he really good or is he just the kind of guy who looks like a good coach on TV?

We should find out more about this team when they play at Minnesota on Sunday. Let's just hope Peter King doesn't pick them to win.

"Greg C." wrote:

You always bring good questions. You know what I am bent out of shape about Singletary about? Early in the process with the whole Crabdouche thing, he decided that he would tell the world (read Crabtree and his agent Parker ) ALL ABOUT the "good old days" when he was a player and held out himself... I considered that profoundly stupid as a coach that was establishing himself as a "no-nonsense/tough guy" coach. I LOVED him as a player, and I think he is a great "tough-guy" coach, but that does NOT help perpetuate that imagery with the idiots like a prima-donna tree.

It pissed me off badly at the time because Raji was not yet signed, and I was reliant upon some reasonably intelligent decisions coming from 'frisco-way, which were failing miserably (imo) from my perspective.

All that being said, readily acknowledging my complete hatred for the kind of narcissism that we have in this world that creates a crabclown, I think he has the potential (Mike) to be that inspirational coach. As of now, based on that "episode" probably a media fabrication, at least in part. PURELY a very biased opinion.
Cheesey
14 years ago
Well, the Vikings haven't played a tough team yet. Hopefully they can lose to the niners.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I was just about to create a thread asking this same question, but with a slightly different spin.

I obviously don't know if the 49ers are for real or not -- I personally remain skeptical until we have more evidence -- but for my part, I hope they go 8-0. With every victory the 49ers notch, Michael Crabtree loses a little more leverage. If the 49ers can show that they are able to win without him, he will lose whatever chance he had to bring pressure on the 49ers organization. He'll look like a petulant child who's missing the ride.

I say, for the next few weeks at least, GO 49ERS!
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
14 years ago

I was just about to create a thread asking this same question, but with a slightly different spin.

I obviously don't know if the 49ers are for real or not -- I personally remain skeptical until we have more evidence -- but for my part, I hope they go 8-0. With every victory the 49ers notch, Michael Crabtree loses a little more leverage. If the 49ers can show that they are able to win without him, he will lose whatever chance he had to bring pressure on the 49ers organization. He'll look like a petulant child who's missing the ride.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

+1, couldn't agree more.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I think that they are. They had a lot of talent already, but Mike Nolan just isn't that good a HC. I think that he can't "speak to the soul, in order to electrify" his team. He's a great guy when calling plays from upstairs. Much like Dom Capers, I think.

Singletary, on the other hand, appears to be made for the sideline. I think that he will make some questionable decision, but he'll get that team ready to fight and flying all over the field. Just look at Parys Haralson for instance. A guy with tons of potential, which really (arguably) didn't come out, but now he's flying over the field, making plays. (Was hoping we'd snatch him away from the 9ers this off-season).

I think that the 49ers could turn some heads against the Vikes. Mainly because Shaun Hill is horribly underrated, Vernon Davis who seems to finally be having his coming out party and Frank Gore who can run it. And of course, that defense could keep them hanging in the game. It's a long shot and I would still put my money on the Vikes, but you never know.
Dulak
14 years ago
Well this coming game the viks have a -7 spread. I'm not sure if the niners can get by mins rushing defense.

I think Min is better then the niners but the niners are pretty good.
Greg C.
14 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Yes, it would be nice to see Crabtree lose more and more leverage. The only other players I can think of who have taken longer than this to sign were Jamarcus Russell (Raiders) and Bryant McKinney (Vikings).
blank