Jacob
  • Jacob
  • Rookie Topic Starter
15 years ago
http://packers.com/news/stories/2008/09/18/2/ 

Notebook: Finley Ready For First Action

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 09/18/2008

With Tory Humphrey's uncertain status for Sunday's game due to a knee injury, rookie No. 3 tight end Jermichael Finley is likely to be on the active 45-man roster for the first time in his career, against his hometown team, no less.

Finley, a native of Texas whose residence is in Dallas, was the Packers' third-round draft choice this past April. Having spent just three years in college, one as a redshirt, he came to Green Bay as a raw prospect with great ball skills but needing to refine his blocking.

He's made notable progress in that area and can't wait to get on the field for the first time as an NFL player on Sunday night against the Cowboys.

"I'm not a finished project," said Finley, who has been among the eight gameday inactives in the first two weeks of the season. "You just go out, keep grinding it out and get better and better. You have no choice but to block good if you're going against Aaron Kampman every day. It's going to be a good opportunity to show what I can do."

Humphrey, the No. 2 tight end behind starter Donald Lee, played through a knee sprain last Sunday, but the knee swelled up after the game. He's scheduled to practice for the first time this week on Friday.

Fullback Korey Hall is on the same schedule, and if Hall is unable to play, it will put added importance on Finley being able to contribute on special teams.

"I think this is a great opportunity for Jermichael," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "He's had an excellent week of practice so far. He's really taken on the challenge, and like I tell the whole team, the guys that are not up, it's not more about the position they play, it's more about the special teams.

"He needs to continue to improve in that area, and he's doing a good job of that. It's something that's very new for him."

Feeling better
Center Scott Wells went from a limited participant in practice Wednesday to a full participant Thursday and says he's hoping and praying his back injury, which he described as a pinched nerve, is behind him.

Wells has been injured off and on since the spring, and he re-aggravated the back injury in the second preseason game at San Francisco and hasn't played since. Now that he's back at practice, he's not sure whether he'll be immediately reinserted as the starting center on Sunday, but he says he's ready if the coaches want to go that direction.

"I always prepare to play, to start, and the decision will be made by the coach," Wells said. "I know they're going to evaluate how I did these past two days, and it's up to them. I feel good, so I'll be available, whatever they decide."

Wells said the biggest trouble in treating his injury has been locating the affected nerve, but since it was targeted he has steadily progressed in his recovery.

"You have to locate where it is and where to treat it," Wells said. "Your back is pretty complex, so if you hit the wrong one when you're treating, then you really didn't do anything to the problem. So it was kind of hit-or-miss for a while, and now we think we've figured out where it is and treated the problem."

Even if Wells isn't starting on Sunday, he almost certainly will be active as a backup lineman. He admitted that even though the competitor in him wanted to play the last two weeks, his body wasn't physically ready.

That said, Wells believes the adjustment to playing again will be minimal.

"There's two ways to look at it," Wells said. "One, you could say either he's going to be rusty, or two, he's going to be fresh.

"I say I'm fresh. Practice is to get the rust out. There may be some rust early on in the game, we have an excellent opponent, but I think that should get knocked off early once you get into it."

Im really exicted to see what he can do, I just have a feeling he's going to be good. I don't recall seeing him although im sure hes been in a few plays....

your thoughts?
Rios39
15 years ago
He has really big upside. Is big, his flaw is blocking cause he's going to be a play maker. But I think he's improving. Apparently he's been practicing blocking Kampman so that's a help lol
blank
FloridaPacker88
15 years ago
To bad Roy Williams isn't playing as we could have really some fun with that Match up. :physassult: Finely has a lot of potential but like he said he's far from a finished project, his athletic abillity could definitely give us a nice boost though, A big fast target like him hangin out in the middle of the field can only help 🙂.

I just hope his blocking is up to snuff because those Dallas Pass Rushers are scary good!
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
"Likely to start"? No, he's not. Donald Lee will start. Your headline should read, "likely to see action" or something like that.

Last I heard, Finley's blocking has a long way to go, so throwing him in against a good 3-4 defense is not the ideal way to get him his first NFL experience. I don't think we will see much of him on offense. But I hope this is the beginning of a very good career.
blank
FloridaPacker88
15 years ago
I think he may have meant start like as in our Double TE formations, He's no where near close to usurping Donald Lee.
UserPostedImage
Jacob
  • Jacob
  • Rookie Topic Starter
15 years ago

"Likely to start"? No, he's not. Donald Lee will start. Your headline should read, "likely to see action" or something like that.

Last I heard, Finley's blocking has a long way to go, so throwing him in against a good 3-4 defense is not the ideal way to get him his first NFL experience. I don't think we will see much of him on offense. But I hope this is the beginning of a very good career.

"Greg C." wrote:

oh my bad, i accidently wrote start i guess.
shanks2122
15 years ago
im exstatic for him to say "im a work in progress" that means alot to me
blank
djcubez
15 years ago
For some reason I can see him getting a TD reception and nothing else. Like in a goal line 2 TE formation PA fake pass kinda thing. One of those one hit wonders.
Greg C.
15 years ago

For some reason I can see him getting a TD reception and nothing else. Like in a goal line 2 TE formation PA fake pass kinda thing. One of those one hit wonders.

"djcubez" wrote:

Yeah, sometimes that's the way it happens. Sometimes the young, inexperienced player is the "extra" guy in the play who is unaccounted for by the defense or who just has to make one move to get open.
blank
Greg C.
15 years ago

oh my bad, i accidently wrote start i guess.

"Jacob" wrote:

You can edit your thread title, you know. It's just as easy as editing any other part of your message. I should've mentioned that in my first post. I kind of have a thing about inaccurate thread titles.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.