DGB454
14 years ago

Backups vs. Backups means nothing. You take a look at how the starters do and the Packers' starters have dominated the competition. That's why the National media is taking notice with the Packers as opposed to other successful teams in the preseason in the past like the Lions or Raiders or even some this year.

Teams handle their backups differently. Green Bay feels good about 40 guys or so and you may not see those guys out on the field in the 2nd half of a preseason game.

That's more than half of the regular season roster. That leaves 40 other guys whom a lot will be out of the league competing for an handful of spots or in the example I've given, 13 spots.

So you really can't take backups vs. backups into consideration. Who cares about what Arizona did in the 2nd half. Not one starter was out there for the Packers or the Cardinals.

My point is that there is no way that Packer fans shouldn't be encouraged heading into 2009. Doesn't mean they'll win it all, but GB has every right to think they'll contend. It's not like GB was dominated by Chicago and Minnesota last year.

"porky88" wrote:

Didn't AZ have their starters play D into the 3rd QTR.?
dfosterf
14 years ago
From a fan perspective...the 1st three games were a needed dose of optimism, and I also think for the team's "morale" as well.

In the chat last night, Wade was interjecting some legitimate concerns regarding...and forgive me Wade if I butcher the concept...

"Is it a good idea to effectively bring your team back down to earth at this point when so obviously they are "rolling" into the regular season.?"

The evaluation aspect, the health aspect...all discussed there.

Multiple threads have rattled the issue of our pre-season successes and what it means, what we should take from it, who is optimistic...the frustrated statisticians have had their say, I certainly have had mine...as in, screw the stats, we kicked some tail, etc.

The reason I opted to be "blindly" optimistic as contrasted to going hyper-analytical can best be summed up by this quotation:

ALL GLORY IS FLEETING

"For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."
- Gen. George C. Patton

The whisper in the ear never went away, but by damn, we as fans needed a little shot in the arm, and I enjoyed it.

Call me a Packer fan hedonist or something.

And because I like it, and because I choose to not give a rat's ass about that game last night anymore, and because I would otherwise spend the next few minutes probably arguing some statistical b.s. in lieu of it...I will instead post, watch and listen to this, a piece of possibly one of the finest movies ever made, even if it is about a doggie. :thumbleft: (Obviously the quote brought this to the forefront)

[youtube]mu11QRO9BrQ[/youtube]

Edit--

Now in the proper frame of mind.

Fully prepared for the sports equivalent to the blitzkrieg that my Green Bay Packers are about to mount upon my sports equivalent to my enemies.
DakotaT
14 years ago

ALL GLORY IS FLEETING

"For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."
- Gen. George C. Patton

"dfosterf" wrote:

Just so we're the conquering Romans not the fat, lazy, imperialist slobs that pissed away the empire.

Thanks for the history lesson.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (5h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (9h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (18h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (23h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (23h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (23h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.