macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Told my little boy (12) yesterday that Brett Favre had signed with the Vikings. I knew he loved Favre, but I was startled at the emotion in his reaction. He really started cheering, whooping it up big time, and said he hoped they beat the Packers!

Needless to say, I was shocked. I've been a Packers fan since the early 60s, suffered through the 70s & 80s, then enjoyed the success during the Favre years. There's no way for even a moment that I'd contemplate saying "I hope Brett and the Vikings beat the Packers!"

When I asked, he said he was still a Packers fan. But then he went on a rant (which is EXTREMELY rare with this guy, so I know this is something that's been on his mind) about how the Packers shouldn't have traded him to another team last year, hadn't treated him right etc.

We had a discussion about if you could call yourself a fan if you were rooting for another team to beat them, and he said it was just for 2 games, he'd root for the Packers during all the rest of the games!

I hadn't thought about it, but until last year, the only quarterback he's ever known for the Packers was Brett. So I'm cutting him a little slack, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch the Packers-Vikings games if my boy is going to be next to me cheering the bad plays and booing the good plays.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
closet time
djcubez
14 years ago
Hey I'm 21 and consider myself a Packer's fan yet Rodgers is the only quarterback I've seen play QB besides Favre as long as I've been watching. All I really have to say is that if you ever root for a team to lose, you can't be a fan of that team plain and simple.
Cheesey
14 years ago

Hey I'm 21 and consider myself a Packer's fan yet Rodgers is the only quarterback I've seen play QB besides Favre as long as I've been watching. All I really have to say is that if you ever root for a team to lose, you can't be a fan of that team plain and simple.

"djcubez" wrote:

Thats the way i see it.
You are either a fan, or not.
Of course i guess you can be a "part time" fan.
Doesn't make any sense to me, but to each his own i guess.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago
To give the kid some leeway, though. He's only 12. Not like he's oozing with wisdom.

Give him time. He'll see the err in his ways, and bleed purple full time!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
14 years ago

To give the kid some leeway, though. He's only 12. Not like he's oozing with wisdom.

Give him time. He'll see the err in his ways, and bleed purple full time!

"Formo" wrote:

Hopefully!
Hopefully he will "bleed" all that bad purple out of his system! :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
loosenut
14 years ago
He's only 12! I remember when I was 12, the rugby league (type of football here in Australia) team I cheered for was the team who won the grand final the year before! Brett Favre is probably his hero.

Once he gets a bit older he'll realise that the team is more important then individual players. I'm not surprised a 12 year old Brett Favre fan is glad he's playing again... hell a little part of me is glad I get to see him slinging it around for another season or two... just as long as it isn't at the packers expense! 🙂
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Rodgers will be playing long after Favre's retired*.

It'll be far easier for him to remember back on his teenage years with Rodgers as our QB than Favre who got traded by the Packers management.

* Not a guarantee.
blank
flep
14 years ago
He is only 12 as you say

But is adoption an option????
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Rockmolder
14 years ago
It's not that weird actually. All that we're cheering for is a shell. Team colors. Nothing more. He's cheering for a guy with emotions and what not. Not saying that I'm going to follow Favre, but it's might even be more natural to follow your favorite player than following a team.

I remember that, when I was 10, Ruud van Nistelrooy went to Manchester. I pretty much became a Manchester fan at that point with PSV coming in second. It'll blow over, I figure.

I see how it might get quite annoying on sundays, though. Lol.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (4h) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (7h) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.