Rockmolder
14 years ago
Yeah, I know. I was 'inspired' by the NFL series name.

Anyway, we've been discussing the Packers draft picks a lot, but we haven't looked at any of the other drafts. I thought it might be fun to go a little more in-depth on one franchise per day, starting with the first pick and ending with the team that had its first pick last.

So, first the Detroit Lions.

Round 1, Pick 1 (1)
Matthew Stafford QB 6'2" 225 Georgia

Round 1, Pick 20 (20) (From Cowboys)
Brandon Pettigrew TE 6'5" 263 Oklahoma State

Round 2, Pick 1 (33)
Louis Delmas S 6'0" 202 Western Michigan

Round 3, Pick 12 (76) (From Saints through Jets)
DeAndre Levy OLB 6'2" 236 Wisconsin

Round 3, Pick 18 (82) (From Cowboys)
Derrick Williams WR 6'0" 194 Penn State

Round 4, Pick 15 (115) (From Redskins through Jets)
Sammie Lee Hill DT 6'4" 329 Stillman

Round 6, Pick 19 (192) (From Cowboys)
Aaron Brown RB 6'1" 196 TCU

Round 7, Pick 19 (228) (From Jets)
Lydon Murtha OT 6'7" 306 Nebraska

Round 7, Pick 26 (235) (From Falcons through Broncos)
Zack Follett OLB 6'2" 236 California

Round 7, Pick 46 (255) (Compensatory selection)
Dan Gronkowski TE 6'6" 255 Maryland

They took Matthew Stafford first overall. A pick I still don't agree with. I would've build the O-line first. They might already have a first round tackle in Cherilus, who they're hoping will improve, but they could still use a first rounder to protect that other side. Jason Smith would've been a perfect pick.

Pettigrew is a solid pick, although, again, I don't know why they go TE over LT in Oher. They do have a very good blocker in Pettigrew, so they can keep 6 in the block far more often and he has some receiving ability. Solid pick.

Delmas is a good player. He'll give them some secondary help which they needed badly. Agan, Beatty was still on the board....

I like their draft. They got 3 guys who where 1st rated at their position. Overall, I would've gone with an O-lineman which they passed on 3 times. A DT wouldn't have hurted them either, after trading their only good one away. I guess they addressed that later on as well, but still.

What do you guys think?
dhazer
14 years ago
I actually liked their whole offseason and i think they will be a greatly improved team this year. They got 0-line help with Jansen from the redskins and also made the trade for Petersen from Seattle so they have done alot. They have signed other Free agents also so we will see what they can do on the field.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

I actually liked their whole offseason and i think they will be a greatly improved team this year. They got 0-line help with Jansen from the redskins and also made the trade for Petersen from Seattle so they have done alot. They have signed other Free agents also so we will see what they can do on the field.

"dhazer" wrote:

I agree.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
TheEngineer
14 years ago
I'm not sold on Cherilus, but I do expect the Lions to improve vastly this season. If they can even win at least 1 game, their improvement is an immeasurable percentage. That's hard to beat. Should chalk up Lions as the most improved team right now.

I think Stafford will be better than the other QBs they've drafted, such as Harrington, Orlovsky. I don't think he will be all that special however.
blank
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
Their coach... he will be no slouch either. I can't say I fear the Lions yet, but I can say that losing them won't be as much of a shock this season as it has in years past. Solid offseason.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
vikesrule
14 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

I agree.

"dhazer" wrote:

They will be much improved.

The Lions will take third place in the NFCN in 2009.......... behind the Vikings and da Bears.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I don't know if Stafford is that much better than Harrington. They could screw him over the same way as they did with Harrington if he doesn't have a good supporting cast.

I just think that you should build from the lines. There's a reason why no one is impressed with Cherilus, he was part of one of the worst O-lines in history imo. Going with a 33 year old Jansen is a very temporary solution. I don't get why they'd pass on Oher with pick 20 after already getting their potential franchise QB.

Their draft was pretty good, but not great if you ask me. I'm not seeing a turn-around like the Dolphins had last year.
The_Green_Ninja
14 years ago

"vikesrule" wrote:

I agree.

"Formo" wrote:

They will be much improved.

The Lions will take third place in the NFCN in 2009.......... behind the Vikings and da Bears.

"dhazer" wrote:

You know, it's proven that most all Vikings fan have Dyslexia.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (14h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (15h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (19h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (19h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.