Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Anthony Smith has been here once before.

He was in sixth grade then, being raised by a single mother in the rough post-steel city of Youngstown, Ohio.

Smith wasnt a bad kid, but he was becoming the class clown. Got in some trouble with his mouth. Wasnt reaching his potential. Needed a fresh start.

His mother, Kristen Adams, sent Smith to live with his uncle, Homer, about 7 miles up the road in Hubbard. There, Smith went to a better school, turned his attention |to football and became an all-region running |back and defensive back who earned a scholarship to Syracuse University.

Smiths college career yielded two all-conference nods at free safety, a third-round selection in the 2006 NFL draft and a three-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers. As a pro, he quickly earned a reputation as a big hitter and started 14 games over his first two seasons while veteran Ryan Clark battled injuries.

But then Smith made some mistakes. Got in some trouble with his mouth. Wasnt reaching his potential. Needed a fresh start.

The Steelers sat Smith during their championship run last season then sent him away without making him a qualifying offer as a restricted free agent.

So, Smith is here now, a Green Bay Packer, and he feels change once again will do him good.

People can always twist what kind of person you are, Smith said last week, during the Packers organized team activities.

Im a kind of guy who plays the game with a lot of emotion, and Im going to say what I feel. Im not the kind of guy whos going to speak politically correct all the time. You might not hear all the answers you want to hear.

I like to have fun, man. Whatever I feel thats just how I grew up, and thats how I was raised, not to bite your tongue, and I dont do that. If I get a question, Im going to answer it truthfully.

All Smith wants is the chance to define his career with something other than words.

The guarantee

[ul]It was Dec. 5, 2007, amidst the media hype surrounding the Steelers upcoming showdown with the undefeated New England Patriots, that Smith defined his career to date.

Were going to win, Smith said in one of several interviews that day. Yeah, I can guarantee a win.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confronted Smith and told him not to write checks for the team. Defensive captain James Farrior said, He has to keep his mouth shut.

Four days later, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady went after Smith, completing touchdown passes of 63 and 56 yards in Smiths vicinity as New England rolled in a 34-13 rout.

The next week against Jacksonville, Smith was partly at fault on a 55-yard touchdown pass in a 29-22 loss, and Tomlin had seen enough. Tyrone Carter replaced Smith in the lineup the following week, and Smiths journey out of Pittsburgh had begun.

When players returned for OTAs in March 2008, Smith found out coaches were moving him to strong safety, a position he never had played.

I felt that was kind of fishy, he said last week. Why didnt they try to move me the last two years, if they were going to do it?

Then, Smith found out Carter would be the top backup at both spots. He had gone from starter to No. 4 safety virtually overnight.

So, even as the Steelers roared toward Super Bowl XLIII, Smith was, in his word, miserable.

He kept his mouth shut, went about his business, tried to enjoy the teams success even as coaches deactivated him throughout the playoffs. But as soon as the season was over, Smith went home and hoped the Steelers would agree it was time to move on.

I felt I wasnt getting a fair shake anyway, Smith said. I kind of wanted to be released. I didnt want to be signed back and to waste another year and not be able to come out and sign for the big money. That kind of hurt me last year, not being able to play."[/ul]

The new home[ul]
Money isnt why Smith is here, though.

The low restricted tender Pittsburgh didnt offer would have been worth $1.01 million. The two-year, $1.485 million contract Smith signed with the Packers included a modest $100,000 bonus.

More important was the opportunity. Two other teams showed interest in Smith as their No. 3 safety, but the Packers, according to Smith, promised him a chance to compete for a starting job in their new 3-4 defense, which is conceptually similar to the one he played in Pittsburgh.

Anthony looks very comfortable, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. Definitely his experience in Pittsburgh has really helped him.

It also helped that new Packers safeties coach Darren Perry was a believer in Smith, having played a role in bringing Smith to Pittsburgh when Perry coached defensive backs there. Smith said the two stayed in touch after Perry took a job with the Oakland Raiders in 2007, and he considers Perry a good friend.

The Packers have two established starting safeties, but neither Nick Collins, who has skipped most of the offseason program and wants a new contract, nor Atari Bigby, who is recovering from ankle surgery, has practiced during OTAs. While it seems unlikely either incumbent will lose his spot in training camp, their absence has given new defensive coordinator Dom Capers and company an extended look at Smith, who has worked with the starters alongside Aaron Rouse.

They always know what I can do, Smith said. Thats why they brought me here.

Surprisingly physical at 6 feet and 203 pounds, Smith often was asked to play deep in Pittsburghs Cover-3 scheme. At times, he got into trouble peeking into the backfield and biting too hard on play fakes, contributing to the inconsistency that got him on coaches bad side.

Asked last month whether Smith has matured since their days together in Pittsburgh, Perry responded, I would say yes. He added: Dom doesnt know Anthony. Mike McCarthy, they dont know Anthony like I know Anthony. So, hes forming the opinion now how he conducts himself on the practice field, communicates, all those little things are going to play a factor in gaining the trust, because if a coach doesnt trust you, hes not going to put you out there on the field.

In other words, Smith has a chance to put the inconsistency behind him. Another chance to reach his potential. A fresh start.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
14 years ago
He'll probably beat out Peprah.

There will be plenty of stories until opening day about players who look great but get cut. You see it every year.

You have to fill out all 53 roster spots and this guy could be the #4 Safety.
blank
Cheesey
14 years ago
Good point Californy.
We see this every off season. Writers are LOOKING for stories, just to have SOMETHING to write.
But it would be nice if the kid prospers.
UserPostedImage
JNelson87
14 years ago
From good ol Youngstown, Ohio. I'm excited to have him on our team, we could always use another flashy type defender. Especially if he can take INTs to the house.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
I agree Nelson. If the kid can back it up on the field, then he's more then welcome here!
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
No one could stop the Patriots during the regular season except who... the Ravens... so the talking sucked yeah, but that team was incredible that season... LEGENDARY.

Let's see if this guy can compete in our team to be one of 53... who knows.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Dulak
14 years ago

No one could stop the Patriots during the regular season except who... the Ravens... so the talking sucked yeah, but that team was incredible that season... LEGENDARY.

"DarkaneRules" wrote:

ya he needs to get on one of the 53 spots first ... I was never that impressed with rouse (kind of inconsistant ...) noticed in the article he was above smith
14 years ago
With the other players missing time, and he knowing the 3-4, he has caught a lot of breaks so far.

If he is anything more than the #4 Safety Ted got a good deal.

If he doesn't make the team he can't say they didn't give him a fair chance.

He should be ahead of Bush and Peprah. That makes the team better.
blank
FloridaPacker88
14 years ago
I think Smith Boots Peprah out regardless, then the battle probably comes down to Smith vs Rouse vs Bush, Jarrett Bush is the Xfactor in the safety battle and since he can "play" multiple positions he might send a couple of guys home which I reallly do not like.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
14 years ago

"Dulak" wrote:

ya he needs to get on one of the 53 spots first ... I was never that impressed with rouse (kind of inconsistant ...) noticed in the article he was above smith

"DarkaneRules" wrote:

Where'd you get Rouse was above Smith?

who has worked with the starters alongside Aaron Rouse.

That's the only mention of Rouse in the article.

I think him and Rouse will be the backups come opening kickoff with one of the two maybe getting a shot at a starting spot due to either injuries or inconsistent play from Bigby.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
beast (3h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (3h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (19h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (20h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.