Rockmolder
14 years ago
We got some of these in the Donald Driver thread from Twitter, but they where few and unorganized. I suggest that we put OTA updates in one thread or something instead of sneaking them into other threads.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml 

The blitz: Open OTA No. 2
Cleaning out the notebook from today's open OTA practice at Clarke Hinkle Field:

* With Ryan Pickett absent, first-round draft pick B.J. Raji slid over to nose tackle with the No. 1 defense, and Johnny Jolly replaced Raji at left end. Charles Woodson's appearance meant Tramon Williams moved back to the nickel role in the secondary. RDE Cullen Jenkins, S Atari Bigby (ankle) and ILB Nick Barnett (knee) went through the jog-through portion of practice before giving way to Justin Harrell, Anthony Smith and Brandon Chillar, respectively. Jeremy Thompson remained the top right outside linebacker, ahead of Brady Poppinga, and Clay Matthews (hamstring) remained out. Aaron Rouse continued to work as the No. 1 free safety in place of Nick Collins, who remains absent.

* No major changes on offense, though WR Donald Driver was back after skipping last week's practices. James Jones and Jordy Nelson appear to be on equal footing as the No. 3 receiver, with Ruvell Martin and Brett Swain behind them. Jermichael Finley appears to be ahead of Tory Humphrey for the No. 2 tight end role. With T Breno Giacomini (ankle), C Scott Wells (shoulder) and LT Chad Clifton (shoulder/knees) all still sidelined, the No. 1 offensive line remained (from left) Tony Moll, Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz, Josh Sitton and Allen Barbre. Rookie draft picks Jamon Meredith (left) and T.J. Lang (right) continued to work as the second-string tackles.

* Today's work included the 2-minute and red-zone installs, and the top two offenses each got one drive from their own 40, facing a 14-10 deficit with less than 2 minutes to go. Neither got the touchdown they needed. For the No. 1s, led by Aaron Rodgers, the drive started with 1:31 on the clock. Nelson made the play of the day to give the offense a first down, dragging his toes at the right sideline to make a catch for a 10-yard gain. But Rodgers missed Driver on his next throw and then was intercepted by Williams when Finley couldn't handle a low pass, with OLB Aaron Kampman dropping in coverage. The No. 2s, led by Matt Flynn, got 1:54 to work with. They got bailed out by a defensive offsides call, keeping the drive alive on fourth-and-16. But on a second-and-3 from the defense's 28, Flynn threw over the top for WR Kole Heckendorf, who broke off his route, and S Jarrett Bush got an easy interception.

* With the exception of the 2-minute drill, Flynn and Brian Brohm appeared to get identical reps. In five team (11-on-11) periods, the passing stats were as follows: Rodgers 11-for-19, INT; Flynn 7-for-11, INT; Brohm 1-for-5.

* Later, during a red-zone period, Kampman broke up a slant for WR Brett Swain, drawing cheers from his teammates. CB Pat Lee, Williams and OLB Brad Jones had PBUs during 7-on-7.

* There were two field-goal periods, and Mason Crosby converted 7 of 8 attempts from between 33 and 43 yards. Flynn worked as the primary holder. Crosby's lone miss was wide right from 41 with Durant Brooks holding. Brooks' presence as the No. 2 holder is notable, since it might be indicative of his status in the three-legged race for the punting job.

* The fullback battle remains tough to break down, because the Packers use so many sets with extra receivers and tight ends. Rookie Quinn Johnson was getting a lot of work as the back blocker on kick returns.

* Dropping 'em like they're hot: RB Kregg Lumpkin, Martin (twice), WR Patrick Williams, Humphrey, Finley.

* Practice ended with two 7-on-7 periods. Rodgers was 5-for-11, Flynn 4-for-5 and Brohm 3-for-5, including an interception into the hands of Rouse that concluded the session.

More stories and quotes from the locker room coming as the day rolls on ...

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

I'm not to happy about Finley dropping balls. Especially when you read about the pass in the 2 minute drills (Enter Dhazer). Then again, it's just an OTA right now. I would think that the offense has a step on the defense at this point, though.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
whereas defense usually has an early jump on the O, I'd imagine that's a far different story this year. Especially since Collins, Bigby, and Kampman are so god-damn mad that they refuse to even acknowledge any of the coaches.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I like Rockmolder's suggestion and I'm going to make this timely thread a sticky so it's easily accessible as news breaks.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I think more threads is good. Wider topic selection and easier to talk about one subject. One might want to talk about Driver, one might want to talk about Kampman. Why should either have to sift through posts to carry on said discussion?

These updates are very cool and informative, thank you!

PS, your memberships do not have a limit on posts or threads. 😉
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
So many damn injuries already.....wow.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
What's a PBU?

And secondly, Brohm still seems to be struggling mightily.
blank
Tezzy
14 years ago
Acronyms for PBU 

For our case it's Pass Break Up.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
TengoJuego
14 years ago

whereas defense usually has an early jump on the O, I'd imagine that's a far different story this year. Especially since Collins, Bigby, and Kampman are so god-damn mad that they refuse to even acknowledge any of the coaches.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Is Bigby even participating yet? Last I saw he was standing around in sweats. Same for Woodson.
Blank402
14 years ago

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Is Bigby even participating yet? Last I saw he was standing around in sweats. Same for Woodson.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Bigby is still rehabbing, Woodson is participating.
blank
beast
14 years ago

"bozz_2006" wrote:

They're mad?

Bigby is mad? about what? That's news to me.

Some media is guessing Kampman is mad but he didn't seem mad in the interview.... he seemed more like he wasn't sure what to think about the 3-4 yet and wasn't liking the media to much at the time which could be like Harris and upset at the media for all the talk that he couldn't make the switch.

Collins has been called about being lier by the media.... they said he didn't have a family matter when he clearly did. I would be upset at the media. He does want contract talks and IMO being a little stupid about not showing up but I haven't heard a thing about him being upset at the coaches or he's team mates.

Is it these guys are mad at the media because the media is making untrue stories instead of just reporting?

The media is getting worse and worse about making stories and not checking their sources and not explaining to the public if they got something for a questionable source.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (22h) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.