Martha Careful
4 months ago

Packers may have their left tackle of the future in Rasheed Walker
Brandon Carwile
December 19, 2023 2:40 pm CT

Being asked to step in for an All-Pro left tackle is a tough spot to be in when you’re a seventh-round pick in Year 2. However, that is precisely where Rasheed Walker found himself when David Bakhtiari was placed on season-ending injured reserve on September 28. Early in the season, Walker struggled with consistency, but lately, he has been one of the best offensive tackles in the NFL.

Initially, after not logging a single offensive snap as a rookie, the 249th overall pick out of Penn State in 2022 looked like he belonged. In his first two career starts, Walker did not surrender a single sack and allowed just two quarterback pressures, according to Pro Football Focus. At the time, NFL Next Gen Stats also ranked him 2nd among offensive tackles in run block win rate.

Unfortunately, Walker’s play began to slip over the next four games. In Green Bay’s Week 4 loss to the Detroit Lions, he gave up two sacks and four pressures. Then it reached a breaking point in Week 8 against the Minnesota Vikings when Walker played only 18 snaps but gave up a sack and was called for an ineligible man downfield penalty that negated a first down. Halfway through the second quarter, he was benched for Yosh Nijman.

The following week, the team left it open for who would start at left tackle against the Los Angeles Rams. Nijman got the nod but ended up splitting time with Walker, who delivered one of his better performances of the year. Since then, the coaching staff has continued to rotate Walker and Nijman and Jon Runyan and Sean Rhyan at right guard to encourage competition and bring the best out of their players.

So far, it appears to be working. The Packers managed to win four out of five games between Weeks 9 and 13, including massive upsets against the Detroit Lions and Kansas City Chiefs. During that stretch, Jordan Love and the offense looked much-improved thanks in part to more stability from the offensive line.

“I think that’s what’s helping a little bit,” offensive line coach Luke Butkus said of rotation players after a 29-22 win over the Lions on Thanksgiving. “Guys are feeling that, and everybody works their butts off, there’s no question about that, but this competition, building this room off of competition, everybody stepped up. Not just Sheed (Rasheed Walker), not just Yosh (Nijman), but JR (Jon Runyan) and Sean Rhyan. It’s been great for the room.

It’s been incredibly beneficial for Walker.

While Green Bay has lost two in a row amid a final push for the playoffs, Walker has been lights out in his past five appearances. Per PFF, he ranks third among all tackles in offensive grade between Weeks 11 and 15. Only Detroit’s Penei Sewell and future Hall of Famer Trent Williams have graded better.

In the most recent crushing defeat at the hands of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Walker was not only PFF’s highest-graded player on the Packers’ offense but also the highest-graded tackle for Week 15.

For a player with limited expectations coming out of college, Walker’s growth throughout his second season has been a positive development for a team trying to figure out which players will be a part of the roster foundation moving forward. The jury is still on whether Bakhtiari will return in 2024, but Walker is starting to look like the left tackle of the future.

one of advantages of rebuilding is that guys like Walker can earn it. His screw ups can take place in a year the is not going to cost a championship.

Is he the answer? I don’t know…IMO Nijman is not.

I was surprised at the typically questionable PFF rankings, but when I rewatched the game, one of the pressures I thought was in him was actually a bad RB blitz pick-up.
Go Packers!!!!
Mucky Tundra
4 months ago
He's definitely rebounded after a rough patch of games. I originally came away from the Bucs thinking OT was a need on the left side but rewatching highlights I think it was Njiman leaving me unimpressed initially.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.