buckeyepackfan
a year ago

Matt LaFleur and Aaron Rodgers got away from what worked best when the stakes were at their highest

The Green Bay Packers  squandered an early lead in London against the New York Giants . After jumping out to a 17-3 start, Green Bay was outscored 24-3 the remainder of the way. That included zero second-half points, where the Packers have been particularly bad this season. Green Bay managed only three true drives in the second half – an indictment of both the offense and the defense. Before their final drive, head coach Matt LaFleur and the offense ran the ball only three times out of 11 plays. Those three plays gained 16 yards for over 5 yards per carry.

In the pass game, Rodgers missed opportunities, took deep shots when underneath routes were open, and the right side of the Packers’ offensive line had some significant struggles in pass protection.

Drive 1:

The Packers got the ball with 7:50 remaining in the 3
rd
quarter up 20-13 on their own 12-yard line.

Green Bay starts off their second half with one of their favorite play-action concepts – Yankee. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers hits wide receiver Allen Lazard on the in-breaker for a gain of 18 yards.

After a short run from Aaron Jones, the Packers call Yankee yet again. This time, Rodgers takes the deep shot. In a bubble, the decision is fine. There’s no deep safety and receiver Romeo Doubs has leverage inside. However, the Packers have had a difficult time completing deep shots this year and Lazard is wide open again on the dig route underneath for another nice chunk gain. The Packers get a penalty and first down for illegal contact out of the play.

After an 11-yard run by running back AJ Dillon and a scramble drill to receiver Randall Cobb, the Packers are in business at the Giants’ 38 yard-line.

After a two-yard run by Jones, things start to fall apart. For the 3
rd
time in the drive, the Packers call Yankee. Again, Rodgers takes the shot to Doubs on the post route. This time, though, there’s a safety over the top. Rodgers is lucky to overthrow Doubs as much as he did or it would have likely been an interception.

On the ensuing play, Rodgers gets sacked when both right guard Royce Newman and right tackle Elgton Jenkins  get quickly beat off the snap. Jenkins tries to help Newman inside on the defensive tackle and is late getting out to protect the edge. In that effort, he doesn’t help Newman, who is walked into Rodgers’ lap, and barely gets a hand on the edge player.

The Packers are moved out of field goal range and have to punt.

Drive 2:

The Packers next get the ball back with 10:08 left in the 4
th
quarter, tied 20-20 on their own 25. Despite Green Bay averaging 4.7 yards on the ground on the day, the Packers took two deep shots and Rodgers was late on a crosser for a quick three-and-out.

It seems that Rodgers has a penchant for attaching to guys he trusts when the game gets tight. That can work when you have Davante Adams, but Rodgers has always been at his best in the Matt LaFleur era when he is playing within the system and distributing the ball.

On the first play, Rodgers throws deep to Lazard on what is a designed clear-out. Two Giants defenders race to cover the flats in a busted assignment and there’s a clear window for Doubs behind on a slant.

On the next play, the Packers run one of their favorite rub routes out of a stacked formation. The receiver on the line of scrimmage, Doubs, is rubbing the defender who is walked up. That leaves space for Cobb to knife in behind for a quick-hitter. There is no other read. It’s designed to hit Cobb right off the last step in the drop. If he’s covered (which he is not), there are some delayed routes available. Rodgers holds onto the ball and throws late which allows the Giants to recover and be in a position to break up the pass.

On the last play of the series, the Packers draw up some designed double-moves to the bottom of the screen. Cobb is selling a stalk block before releasing on a wheel, and Lazard sells a post before breaking vertically on a fade. Rodgers instead looks at the top of the screen and is late to come back to Cobb and Lazard. He doesn’t see Lazard streaking wide open down the field and has to throw the ball away due to pressure from the right side of the offensive line.

Drive 3:

After going down 27-20 with 6:08 left in the game, Green Bay comes out with one of their more balanced drives of the day. It leaned on what Rodgers and the Packers have been best at this year: the run game, throwing high percentage RPOs, and hitting quick game underneath. They steadily moved the ball downfield, ate the clock, and put themselves on New York’s six-yard line with a 3
rd
and 1 with 1:11 left to go in the game.

We know what happened next – two passes and two batted balls. On 4
th
down, Rodgers went away from the system and again tried to get the ball to a guy that he trusted. Green Bay had an RPO call with a rub route to the top of the screen, a handoff to Dillon, and a fade to the bottom to Allen Lazard. Based on the pre-snap look, Rodgers knows he has man coverage across the board with the Giants all lined up at the line of scrimmage showing an all-out blitz. He also knows the direction of the run blocking from his line. Instead of looking to the concept at the top which is perfect for man-coverage or handing the ball off away from the blitz, Rodgers instead throws into the unblocked defenders to Lazard. The ball is tipped and the game is all but over. Both the concept side and run would have likely netted a touchdown.

The Packers' offense has potential, but it’s not a shot-play offense right now. When they stay on schedule, lean on the run game, and use Rodgers to distribute the ball in the quick game, on RPOs, and designed play-action, they’re deadly efficient. When they get off schedule, take low-percentage shots, and get away from the run game, they’re a bad offense. Green Bay has made some strides, but there’s still work to be done and issues to be ironed out before they can be considered among the elite teams for the 2022 season.

Continue Reading @ Casey Sully 

Casey Sully wrote:

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Cheesey
a year ago
On Tuesday the Packers sat in the film room to watch the replay of Sunday's game.
Instead, they watched the movie "The Texas chainsaw massacre".
Which was much less of a massacre then the game film was.
😉
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago

That can work when you have Davante Adams, but Rodgers has always been at his best in the Matt LaFleur era when he is playing within the system and distributing the ball.

Hear that, Aaron?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
a year ago
Can everyone see why they drafted Love?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
a year ago
I just saw this thread, have no idea how it shoes I started it.

So if any moderator wants to delete it, won't hurt my feelings.

I would never posy a complete article, just to start a thread.

Sorry!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Cheesey
a year ago
What happened to the Packers 2nd half offense?
It became a magic act....."watch it DISAPPEAR!"
😜
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago

What happened to the Packers 2nd half offense?
It became a magic act....."watch it DISAPPEAR!"
😜

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

They stopped running the ball.
dfosterf
a year ago

I just saw this thread, have no idea how it shoes I started it.

So if any moderator wants to delete it, won't hurt my feelings.

I would never posy a complete article, just to start a thread.

Sorry!

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

You can start a thread anytime you want, as far as I'm concerned, You , nerdman and Beast(Beast amazes me at times with his insight) keep this place goin',, but I'm not a moderator, so if they come whinin', keep me out of it, lol
Cheesey
a year ago

They stopped running the ball.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

To quote the Joker,
"Why so serious???"
😜
UserPostedImage
dhazer
a year ago
Wait before the game wasn't Rodgers claiming he has to get this offense going by airing it out more? I might be wrong but I thought he was quoted as saying that, so I guess we know who calls the plays now.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

12h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.