wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
a year ago

Every season, the Green Bay Packers make it a point to go all-out to address the offensive line. That doesn't mean it is a problem. For years, going all the way back to Vince Lombardi, the offensive line has almost always been a strength in Green Bay. But with All-Pro LT David Bakhtiari missing 16

Continue Reading @ LombardiAve 

LombardiAve wrote:

I am a little amazed that he feels the Packers could have an elite line when we are not sure who is going to be on the line.
But if all things go well. Yes, they may well be elite. But if things go wrong, ...

Oh well it's preseason YES THE PACKERS LINE IS ELITE!
UserPostedImage
a year ago

Myers Will Play It Safe After Knee Injury
The hand-picked successor to All-Pro Corey Linsley, second-round pick Josh Myers played barely one-fourth of the snaps as a rookie.
BILL HUBER1 HOUR AGO
GREEN BAY, Wis. – One knee injury is more than enough for Green Bay Packers center Josh Myers.

Myers has been wearing knee braces throughout the offseason practices. It’s not just a precautionary measure for the practice field or a way to help ensure his safety until training camp. Rather, that’s how Myers intends to play this season.

“I am planning on wearing double knee braces on both of my knees,” Myers said after Tuesday’s organized team activity. “Just protect them. Done with that. That’s my plan and I feel good about it.”

Knee braces aren’t nationally mandated by the NCAA but they’re almost universally used as they’re required by most schools. However, they’re rarely used in the NFL – in practices or games – as players try to get every little advantage possible. While braces protect knees, they come with an unavoidable trade-off. Braces prevent knees from being bent or twisted the wrong way, so they also decrease mobility. That’s a big deal when you have to block Aaron Donald or get in front of Roquan Smith on a screen.

“They’re not super-light, they’re not super-flexible, so those are the areas where they affect you the most,” Myers said. “Sometimes they make your legs a little more tired but those are all things I’m willing to work around.”

You can hardly blame Myers after injuries limited him to about 26 percent playing time last season as the team’s second-round pick and hand-picked successor to All-Pro center Corey Linsley.

Myers, the first center off the board in the 2021 draft, played through a broken finger for the first four games of the season, then missed the Week 5 game at Cincinnati when the finger became infected. He returned a week later but suffered a knee injury on his fourth play at Chicago. It was actually two injuries, a torn medial collateral ligament and tibial plateau fracture, that required two surgeries.

Myers missed 10 games, finally returning for the Week 18 finale at Detroit and the playoff loss to San Francisco.

“After the surgery, I kind of just decided that one knee surgery was good enough for me. I didn’t really feel like having two,” Myers said. “The knee braces for me, they really don’t bother me that much. So, I felt like it was a small sacrifice to make to protect my knees.”

Having started all of Ohio State’s 21 games during his final two seasons, sitting out for a lengthy period only added to the pain.

“I learned a lot about myself. It was an incredibly difficult time, if I’m being honest,” he said. He added, “It was just such a different experience. I learned how to push through. I’ve been able to push through things physically when it’s challenging. When something’s that mentally challenging, it’s just a whole different level of pushing through. I learned how to do that. It’s just something I’ve never done.”

Myers said he wasn’t fully healthy when he returned to face the Lions and didn’t get to 100 percent until about a month after the season.

Now, through the passage of time and extensive rehab, he’s healthy. And he knows the offense infinitely better than he did at this time last year. After falling short in the national championship hunt during his four seasons at Big Ten juggernaut Ohio State and in the Super Bowl hunt during his rookie season for the NFC North dynamo Packers, Myers has no shortage of motivation to play to expectations and to win a championship.

“It goes through my mind a lot,” he said. “You know, I’ve had the fortune – or misfortune, I guess, of how you look at it – of being really close a lot in my career to a ring, whether that be a national championship in college or a Super Bowl in the NFL. So, it’s been, being close but not quite being there has been something that’s motivated me the last several offseasons.”

It’s about time somebody had the brains enough to wear knee braces these even though they don’t look cool. Especially at the center position, I think this is a especially smart thing for him to do.
Go Packers!!!!
Cheesey
a year ago

It’s about time somebody had the brains enough to wear knee braces these even though they don’t look cool. Especially at the center position, I think this is a especially smart thing for him to do.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

I agree. Especially for a guy that already had a damaged knee.
If you can learn to play at a high level while having the brace on, why not use them?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

I am a little amazed that he feels the Packers could have an elite line when we are not sure who is going to be on the line.
But if all things go well. Yes, they may well be elite. But if things go wrong, ...

Oh well it's preseason YES THE PACKERS LINE IS ELITE!

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I'm not sure it matters much who is on the OL as it does the health of the OL. When the five play every snap together, that becomes source of the strength. It's always the sum of the parts, not the individual parts. So, we get good coaching and good health, the line will do well. Plus, it helps to have a MVP QB able to bail them out too.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
a year ago

I'm not sure it matters much who is on the OL as it does the health of the OL. When the five play every snap together, that becomes source of the strength. It's always the sum of the parts, not the individual parts. So, we get good coaching and good health, the line will do well. Plus, it helps to have a MVP QB able to bail them out too.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

For the most part. You can have 4 pro bowl caliber guys on the line and a real clunker at RG. It affects the overall quality of the line.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

For the most part. You can have 4 pro bowl caliber guys on the line and a real clunker at RG. It affects the overall quality of the line.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yes, because that RG missed time. If you have four pro bowlers with one clunker playing every snap for 12-14 games, the OL will play fantastic. We saw something similar in 2014 OL. If you have solid guys around you, it helps a lot.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
a year ago
Problem is, if you have a weak link on your line, the other team knows it and will go hard after that guy.
As the old saying goes, you are only as strong as your weakest link.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago
No.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
a year ago
Honestly I think it's too early and Packers OL is being given too much credit.

Sure they did well despite injuries last year, but they also had Rodgers finally getting the ball out almost ASAP... Rodgers might of set a career record with how fast the hot rod of the ball, and without Adams, that's not going to happen as quickly. But Packers OL looked a lot better because Rodgers and Adams getting the ball out quickly.

Don't get me wrong, they have great potential when they're fully healthy and the youngsters are more developed... but I was to see Bak/Jenkins/Myers get/stay healthy, and Runyan/ Myers/ Newman/ draft rookies all to take another step up first... before going as far as saying elite.

Elite potential, but I think it might be a year early for it to actually happen.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (22h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
23m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.