wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
a year ago

The league’s major deadlines through next spring are now official. On Tuesday, the NFL set its schedule for the next calendar year, setting in stone all critical dates between now and the start of next year’s spring practices. Before next offseason arrives, however, there are a number of important deadlines coming up.
Among those dates are the official cut-down dates for the upcoming preseason, as well as the 2022 trade deadline. Here’s a look at those critical dates during the season as well as a look ahead to next spring’s major events.
Roster Cuts
This year, the NFL is sticking with a three-phased roster cut process that it used for the first time in 2021. Several years ago, the league had a two-phase cut, trimming offseason rosters from 90 to 75 before the final cut-down to 53. That went away in 2018 and 2019, when the league voted to move to a single cut from 90 to 53, but 2020 found the NFL moving back to a two-step cut from 90 to 80 to 53 in 2020.
However, last year’s move to a three-game preseason coincided with a new approach. That will continue for this year as there will be cuts following each week of the preseason, first from 90 to 85, then to 80, and finally to the final 53-man roster. Here are the dates of those deadlines for 2022:

Tuesday, August 16: cut from 90 to 85
Tuesday, August 23: cut from 85 to 80
Tuesday, August 30: cut from 80 to 53

Each of these deadlines takes place at 4:00 PM Eastern Time on the days listed. In conjunction with the roster cut to 53, the league will process waiver claims for players released at final cuts the following day (Wednesday, August 31st) at 12 noon Eastern time, after which time teams can begin signing players to their practice squads.
Additionally, August 31st is also the date after which players placed on injured reserve are eligible to return during the season. Teams must wait until after 4:00 PM ET on that date to preserve a player’s eligibility to return.
Processing final cuts on a Tuesday is a dramatic departure from years past, when the cut deadline was historically on a Saturday. However, with the weekend being idle for all teams, this provides all teams with more than full week to prepare for their week 1 games after finalizing their initial rosters, whereas past years saw the teams playing in the opening Thursday Night Football game having just a few days to do so.
Trade Deadline
The 2022 trade deadline is set for November 1st. This is the Tuesday following week 8 of the 2022 season — a week which sees the Packers  playing at the Buffalo Bills  on Sunday night.
Major 2023 Dates
While there are additional roster-related deadlines later on in the 2022 season, the bulk of the newly-announced important dates address the 2023 offseason. Those dates include the following:

February 21: teams may begin using Franchise and Transition Tags
February 28 — March 6: NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Indiana
March 7: deadline to use Franchise or Transition Tags
March 13: Free agent negotiation (aka “Legal Tampering”) period begins at 12:00 Noon ET
March 15: 2023 league year begins at 4:00 PM ET; unrestricted free agents may begin signing contracts; all teams must be below the salary cap; trades may begin to be processed
April 17: Teams with returning head coaches can begin offseason workout programs
April 27 — 29: 2023 NFL Draft , Kansas City, Missouri
May 1: Deadline to exercise fifth-year options on 2020 first-round draft picks
May 5-8 or May 12-15: Rookie minicamp dates

These deadlines lay out an offseason schedule for 2023 that looks nearly identical to that of 2022. Furthermore, the league’s decision to keep the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis for at least two more years will surely make all participants happy — players, teams, and media alike.

Continue Reading @ Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

Here's an FYI for various dates.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (4h) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (8h) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (11h) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.