Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
2021-09-10T19:20:16Z
Offense - Quarterback Aaron Rodgers, receiver Davante Adams and tight end Marcedes Lewis
Defense - Safety Adrian Amos, defensive lineman Kenny Clark and cornerback Jaire Alexander
Special Teams - Kicker Mason Crosby

After the Packers Twitter account posted the Captains, this was posted by Za'Darius Smith. I wonder if it's related? Smith was voted Captain his first year on the team, before even playing a down.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
2021-09-10T19:30:49Z
Maybe the vote got split too many ways? Like if he and Preston received 10 each and if one wasn't available they would vote for the other and Kenny/Jaire/Amos received 11 each? According to MLF, there were about 10 players with double digit votes. If there were a runoff, he might have been voted captain.

As far Zs tweet, I've read it could be anything from TJ Watts contract to the Ravens players dropping like flies.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Zero2Cool
2021-09-10T20:17:21Z
Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Maybe the vote got split too many ways? Like if he and Preston received 10 each and if one wasn't available they would vote for the other and Kenny/Jaire/Amos received 11 each? According to MLF, there were about 10 players with double digit votes. If there were a runoff, he might have been voted captain.

As far Zs tweet, I've read it could be anything from TJ Watts contract to the Ravens players dropping like flies.

TJ Watt news came out about 45 minutes after Smith's Tweet.
Ravens injury tweets started about ten minutes after Smith's Tweet.

Of course, that's just using Tweeter for the timeline, so hell if I know. The timing of it just coincides with the Packers Tweeter.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
2021-09-10T20:26:25Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

TJ Watt news came out about 45 minutes after Smith's Tweet.
Ravens injury tweets started about ten minutes after Smith's Tweet.

Of course, that's just using Tweeter for the timeline, so hell if I know. The timing of it just coincides with the Packers Tweeter.

Well then, I guess it's not about the Ravens injuries or TJ Watts. If posting vague Twitter messages is how Z responds to not being named a captain, then I guess it's better off that he isn't one. Of course, that's a big IF. It does seem a bit odd that he wouldn't be named one since the guys on the team really responded to him when he first arrived.
UserPostedImage
beast
2021-09-10T23:12:15Z
My biggest surprise is no offensive lineman captain and no linebacker captain.

And yet a backup tight end and kicker captain... It should be mentioned that Bahk and Z have both been injured for pretty much the entire training camp.

UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
2021-09-10T23:24:22Z
I can see him being a bit upset, but I have no issue with the guys on the Defensive side of the ball that they picked. I anticipate at least 2 of the 3 being with the team for quite awhile to come and I would love to keep Amos as he has been a great Packer.
Zero2Cool
2021-09-11T00:13:06Z
I wonder if there was a four way tie and since he's been captain, they gave his spot to someone else? Anyhow, like Matt LaFleur said, you don't have to be a captain to be a leader.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2021-09-11T12:19:48Z
It seems to me all shared two characteristics:
  1. they stepped up and played big in big games
  2. with the exception of 12, the team leader, they are not big talkers, they let their performance on the field do the talking

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
nerdmann
2021-09-11T15:26:24Z
There was a rumor Z was unhappy with his contract renegotiation. Are we sure everything's cool?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2021-09-11T17:05:32Z
https://www.google.com/a...smith-tweet-captain/amp/ 

Quote:

Smith was named a Pro Bowler in 2020, and was a captain last season as well. However, he spent most of training camp recovering from an injury, which could very well keep him out Week 1 against the New Orleans Saints.

This, LaFleur says, is what kept Smith from being named captain.

A little pride. A little bit of pouting.
"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
Mucky Tundra
2021-09-11T17:28:12Z
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

There was a rumor Z was unhappy with his contract renegotiation. Are we sure everything's cool?

You mean a lack thereof. Green Bay restructured his contract by a clause that converted $10 million of his 2021 into a big lump sum payment and drives his 2022 salary number really high. It gives the team all the leverage and with no talks on an extension, it heightens the idea that he'll be cut unless there's an extension but as far as I can tell there haven't been talks.
UserPostedImage
beast
2021-09-12T03:11:47Z
Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

You mean a lack thereof. Green Bay restructured his contract by a clause that converted $10 million of his 2021 into a big lump sum payment and drives his 2022 salary number really high. It gives the team all the leverage and with no talks on an extension, it heightens the idea that he'll be cut unless there's an extension but as far as I can tell there haven't been talks.

That was the PFT report which I still say is BS...

The money becomes guaranteed, which gives the team less leverage for the current year.

The dead money for the following years go up, which includes the cap as dead money is part of the cap. But dead money is a sunk cost and it's just pure stupidity to make a decision on a sunk cost.

Meanwhile, the non-dead money amounts (you know the part they might actually keep by releasing him) to my knowledge did not change one bit.

So I don't see why Z should be unhappy about this, but I believe Gute did confirm they made a small tweak in Z contract as well and that solved the issue.

I think it had more to do with Z being injured, and there being too many good choices and not enough spots.

There was 7 spots and Gute said 10 guys got more than 10 votes. You would have to believe the 7 captains, Z and Bakh we're two of the others... and maybe the last one was another LB splitting votes away from Z? The LB that calls the plays usually gets votes and Preston was healthy and a veteran might of gotten some votes.

No Z is a surprise, but no OL is an even bigger surprise to me.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
2021-09-12T03:27:15Z
Yes, it's a bit surprising to not see someone like Elgton Jenkins get in over Lewis. But from everything I've heard Lewis is considered as more or less a player/coach, so it's not surprising to hear he garners a lot of respect. And Jenkins is still a relatively young player.

I agree that with both Z Smith and Bahktari being injured/not being on the field as much as other guys, that probably played into it.
blank
nerdmann
2021-09-12T15:20:39Z
Zadarius WILL play.

FB_IMG_1631459890159.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
2021-09-15T00:59:54Z
I think he's taking it bad
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage