Mucky Tundra
2 years ago

Devin Funchess said he'd play special teams.
I anticipate Randall Cobb and Amari Rodgers playing special teams.
Allen Lazard is good blocker so maybe he does too?

Only WR I don't think we'll see on special teams is Davante Adams.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Packers WR Devin Funchess willing to play specials temas, but will it be enough? 

“I’ll play special teams if they need me.”

He doesn't seem chomping at the bit to play ST.

My guess for WR7 is Taylor, no Winfree. No Taylor. NO Winfree. Taylor. Final answer. I think.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Tells us how you REALLY feel about Winfree!

edit:

Does Cobb really have to stay?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

UserPostedImage
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
2 years ago

UserPostedImage

😄
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
2 years ago

They need another speed guy in case MVS goes down. EQ or Malik Taylor.

Does Cobb really have to stay?

There isn't another pure speed WR on the entire roster... and besides, I'm still not sure Rodgers handles pure speed WRs that well, so that could be a good thing.

And yes Cobb's money is guaranteed, there is absolutely no reasonable reason to get rid of him in 2021.

Besides, MVS was losing snaps as the WRs were getting healthy, and he's already going to be losing snaps to Cobb, and Dugara if everyone is healthy. Maybe Funchess or St. Brown too...

Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if Gute trades a WR to another team before the cut down... weather that's Funchess or St. Brown for a very late pick or MVS for a late/mid-rounds pick.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago

There isn't another pure speed WR on the entire roster... and besides, I'm still not sure Rodgers handles pure speed WRs that well, so that could be a good thing.

And yes Cobb's money is guaranteed, there is absolutely no reasonable reason to get rid of him in 2021.

Besides, MVS was losing snaps as the WRs were getting healthy, and he's already going to be losing snaps to Cobb, and Dugara if everyone is healthy. Maybe Funchess or St. Brown too...

Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if Gute trades a WR to another team before the cut down... weather that's Funchess or St. Brown for a very late pick or MVS for a late/mid-rounds pick.

Originally Posted by: beast 

He could package a bunch of players. Good depth on this roster.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
2 years ago

He could package a bunch of players. Good depth on this roster.

Why trade for a package of bubble players when you can just scoop one up after the final cuts/raid other teams practice squads? The only one really worth trading for is Funchess and all you're getting for him is a late day 3 pick.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
2 years ago

Why trade for a package of bubble players when you can just scoop one up after the final cuts/raid other teams practice squads? The only one really worth trading for is Funchess and all you're getting for him is a late day 3 pick.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Good question, but if a team thinks someone might be worth it, they do trade late round picks...

Heck, we got what a 6th for QB Hundley?

We got RB Dexter Williams for Hundley (so fair trade).

We got LS Hunter Bradley for trading OLB McCray to the Bills. We won that one, even if we don't love Bradley, because the bar was so low.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago

Good question, but if a team thinks someone might be worth it, they do trade late round picks...

Heck, we got what a 6th for QB Hundley?

We got RB Dexter Williams for Hundley (so fair trade).

We got LS Hunter Bradley for trading OLB McCray to the Bills. We won that one, even if we don't love Bradley, because the bar was so low.

Originally Posted by: beast 

There's gonna be talent in our cuts. Teams can plug holes imo
Cheesey
2 years ago
We KNOW that Cobb has to stay. The only reason he was brought back was to make Aaron Rodgers happy. If they cut him, Rodgers would throw a FIT! (And NOT throw a football!)
So Cobb is a lock. At least for this year. Maybe also next year, if Rodgers is still QB here.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
2 years ago
I probably would have looked smarter if I posted this before the preseason game, but I've been thinking that Funchess, at the end of the season, will be no worse than the 3rd most productive WR on the team. I also wouldn't be surprised if I'm completely wrong, but this is guy who had a legit shot of coming in and being a clear #2 last year, had he not opted out. One year later, one year less of wear, the guy is only 27 years old and could very well be hitting his prime. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Production wise here's my prediction:

1. Davente Adams
2. MVS
3. Deven Funchess
4. Allan Lazard
5. Randall Cobb
6. Amari Rodgers

And then we have Malik Taylor, who is a core special teams player. Could the Packers pull a Mike McCarthy and keep 7 WRs? Could they go light with only 3 RBs, using Amari Rodgers in a WR/RB sort of slash role? It seems unlikely for what is typically a fairly run-heavy offense, but there's an argument to be made that the 6th or 7th WR is better than the 3rd or 4th RB at the moment.
blank
beast
2 years ago
I don't know how it's going to shake out, but if they're playing Funchess this much, it's not because they think he's clearly a top 4 guy.

I'm surprised we didn't see Cobb more, because he's new to the system... but they can do that without preseason games and Rodgers and Cobb probably have their own side things. Funchess is playing this much because they're not sure they're going to keep him, or would like to trade him and keep a STer in that 6th WR spot.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (17h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
6h / Random Babble / Novalee

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra