nerdmann
3 years ago
In reading the article this was based upon and the article that was based upon, nowhere did I see where this comes from anywhere in the organization .

Silverstein is offering conjecture, not quoting anyone. If I am wrong, correct me. Perhaps I missed something.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

In reading the article this was based upon and the article that was based upon, nowhere did I see where this comes from anywhere in the organization .

Silverstein is offering conjecture, not quoting anyone. If I am wrong, correct me. Perhaps I missed something.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

This is pure conjecture from Tommy. He's been good on this though. It's just the common sense thing that when you have a rookie or young QB, you want a veteran on the roster. Folks thought Packers were kind of crazy going into 2008 with two rookies and a QB who hadn't started game yet. I think this regime wants to have a veteran (e.g. Teddy Bridgewater) to man the QB room as the transition to Jordan Love.

I also would say this stems from the Broncos rumor trade that allegedly would have sent Teddy to Green Bay.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
June 2nd.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago

June 2nd.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

If something was going to happen after June 2nd they literally could do it now... just like the Lions did with QBs, they set up the trade and didn't happen until after a certain date.

Honestly, I strongly doubt the Packers are demanding a QB... simply because they fact common sense suggest they wouldn't have to demand one...

The team getting Rodgers would probably be trying hard to drop their current QB... and would probably easily include them in a trade... so there wouldn't be any need to demand... now, there might be a need to demand if Packers don't like any QBs on the other teams roster currently.... or think their cap is too much. But that's clearly more an exception to a rule than a rule.

I think the Packers are set for 2021... they're going with the QBs currently on their roster unless they don't show up...

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
If 37 year-old Aaron Rodgers is dead set on not playing for the Packers, and the Packers have done everything within reason that they could to make it happen. I would be good with this trade. It also satisfies the "demand for QB".

Broncos
Aaron Rodgers
2022 4th Round Pick

Packers
QB Drew Lock
DE Bradley Chubb
G Dalton Risner
2022 1st Round Pick
2022 2nd Round Pick
2023 1st Round Pick
2024 1st Round Pick

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago

If 37 year-old Aaron Rodgers is dead set on not playing for the Packers, and the Packers have done everything within reason that they could to make it happen. I would be good with this trade. It also satisfies the "demand for QB".

Broncos
Aaron Rodgers
2022 4th Round Pick

Packers
QB Drew Lock
DE Bradley Chubb
G Dalton Risner
2022 1st Round Pick
2022 2nd Round Pick
2023 1st Round Pick
2024 1st Round Pick

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It would get real interesting how many a team would actually trade for a QB... I'm wondering if people might be over shooting it...

As if a team trades more than three 1st round picks, then the teams better win the Super Bowl in year one as they're about to get a lot worse....

Also, with Myers, Jenkins, Runyan, do we need another G? Sure a backup, but we got some potential guys already. More help for the defense! Or one of their many receivers...
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

It would get real interesting how many a team would actually trade for a QB... I'm wondering if people might be over shooting it...

As if a team trades more than three 1st round picks, then the teams better win the Super Bowl in year one as they're about to get a lot worse....

Also, with Myers, Jenkins, Runyan, do we need another G? Sure a backup, but we got some potential guys already. More help for the defense! Or one of their many receivers...

Originally Posted by: beast 

I don't know if it's really an "as if" a team trades three first round picks or more after Rams sent two first-round picks, a third-round pick and Jared Goff to Lions for QB Matthew Stafford. I could be overvaluing Aaron Rodgers impact and I also think one of those first round picks was to entice the Lions into taking on Goff's contract.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago

If something was going to happen after June 2nd they literally could do it now... just like the Lions did with QBs, they set up the trade and didn't happen until after a certain date.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Trading Rodgers after June 1st
If the Packers were to trade Rodgers after June 1st, however, the calculation changes drastically. The team would still absorb the same amount of dead money in total, but it would be split up over 2021 and 2022.

2021 would see only $21.152 million in dead money from the roster bonus and the signing bonus money that was due to hit this year. The rest of the signing bonus money — $17.204 million from the 2022 and 2023 years — would hit the books in 2022 instead.

That would free up $22.85 million in salary cap space in 2021 and another $25.5 million for 2022 while clearing the contract off the books entirely for 2023.

APC  wrote:

Detroit didn't have the same cap issues that GB has. IF the Packers were to make a trade they will not do so before June 1. It only makes sense to wait.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago

Detroit didn't have the same cap issues that GB has. IF the Packers were to make a trade they will not do so before June 1. It only makes sense to wait.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I think you misunderstood what I meant... I'm not arguing that the Packers would wait.

The Rams and Lions made the trade and they then had to wait u less they trade window opened to make it official.

If the Packers were going to trade Rodgers, they could do it tomorrow (or last week, or last month), and simple wait until June 2 to make it official.

I'm not arguing the waiting to June 2 to make it official... but there is absolutely no reason to make the negotiations wait... of they were willing to trade him.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago

I don't know if it's really an "as if" a team trades three first round picks or more after Rams sent two first-round picks, a third-round pick and Jared Goff to Lions for QB Matthew Stafford. I could be overvaluing Aaron Rodgers impact and I also think one of those first round picks was to entice the Lions into taking on Goff's contract.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I don't think anyone is questioning the Rodgers impact... but yeah, part of that trade was for taking Goff's ugly contract off their hands.

I certainly think a team might be willing to trade 3 first round picks for an older MVP QB... I'm just not sure how much further they'd be willing to go. As they need something to build the team around the QB too! Unless maybe the team is ready to go right now.

UserPostedImage