KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
Packers Select Ohio State C Josh Myers in Second Round of NFL Draft

BILL HUBER5 MINUTES AGO
GREEN BAY, Wis. – With their second-round draft pick on Friday, the Green Bay Packers selected Ohio State center Josh Myers with the 62nd overall selection. Here is our predraft feature on Myers.

You can’t tell Josh Myers’ story without talking about his family.

His mom, Julie, played college basketball at Dayton.

His father, Brad, was an offensive lineman at Kentucky.

Myers is the youngest of three brothers. The oldest, Zach, played at Kentucky.

“Yeah, my dad was pretty good. I mean he was a four-year starter in the SEC,” Myers told the Dayton Daily News. “But my mom is the best athlete of all of us. She was an All-America in high school.”

Once, while playing football in the basement, Zach tackled Josh into a pillar that created a large gash. Fortunately, Julie Myers is an internal medicine doctor and had a sterilized stitches kit in the living room.

“There's still battle wounds down there in the basement from when they were kids,” Brad Myers told BuckeyeExtra.com. “It's unbelievable.”

For a late-season game against Indiana, Myers switched from No. 71 to No. 50 to honor his grandfather.

“I love my grandparents, and I have such a close relationship with them,” he told Lettermen Row before the game. “He passed away a few years ago due to Alzheimer’s, and one thing that my grandma does is that before every season she writes me a letter and then cuts out a square of his jersey from when he played in high school. I wear it in my sock for every game. I just thought it would be a nice thing to wear No. 50 to honor him.”

Myers was offered a scholarship to Ohio State as a high school freshman and he committed as a sophomore. He was the Buckeyes’ two-year starting center, continuing the school’s run of excellence at that position. He was first-team all-conference in 2020 despite a bout with COVID.

Those battles against his brothers gave him a mean streak on the field.

“He is an aggressive, nasty player, and that’s why I love playing with him,” guard Wyatt Davis told Cleveland.com.

Those brotherly battles made him tough, too, as he showed at the end of the season.

“I did get a turf toe injury in the Big Ten Championship Game,” he said at Ohio State’s pro day. “And then I decided to play through it in the Clemson game and ended up hurting it significantly worse in the Clemson game. And then I played in the Alabama game and got an MRI after the season ended and got surgery on my foot. I tore my foot up pretty good. I broke a bone underneath there and had an avulsion of the tension on another bone underneath my foot so I got surgery.”

Measureables: 6-foot-5 1/4, 310 pounds, 32-inch arms. No times (toe surgery), 29 bench-press reps.

Stats and accolades: In seven games, Pro Football Focus charged Myers with two sacks, one hit and 11 total pressures. Sports Info Solutions blamed Myers for three sacks and 14 blown blocks (nine runs, five passes). He was not penalized in his three seasons.

NFL Draft Bible says: A former offensive tackle recruit, Myers brings a long powerful frame to what is ordinarily a squatty position. There is more than enough of a power profile from Myers to work opposing defensive linemen, boasting a powerful set of hands and hips to gain leverage. His background at offensive tackle shows up in pass protection, where he has solid mirror technique inside. With his combination of plus athleticism and power, Myers is a scheme versatile center prospect who should be able to translate well to either zone or power systems. He has Pro-Bowl center written all over him.

Great pick

Josh Meyers | Center | Ohio State | 6'5" - 310 lbs.

Strengths
[list]
  • Broad and wide with proportional physique.
  • Mass to match with run-stuffing zero-techniques.
  • Makes the calls up front.
  • Processes moving fronts and adjusts work accordingly.
  • Stays active after contact, looking to improve positioning.
  • Slides feet/hips around defender to seal run lane.
  • Maintains eye contact with climb-up targets on second level.
  • Musters quality pop when throwing punch.
  • Ankle flexion for adequate anchor versus bull rushers.
  • Widens out broad frame to protect A-gaps.[/list]

• Weaknesses
    [list]
  • Allows defenders' hands into his frame too often.
  • Plays too straight-legged into block engagement.
  • Feet are more choppy than drive-oriented through contact.
  • Average success rate as outside zone blocker.
  • Inconsistent use of hands to help capture lateral positioning.
  • Needs to maintain better posture in pass sets.
  • Hands got washed away by active, well-schooled opponents.
  • Will need to punch and reset to prevent rush leakage at his edge.
  • [*]Slow reaction time to recover and redirect.[/list]
    In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    Mucky Tundra
    3 years ago
    Wasn't expecting a C, but I've got no problems beefing up the O-line. Clearly needed a body up there after losing Linsley.
    “Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
    UserPostedImage
    "I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
    Cheesey
    3 years ago
    Now I wonder....is his foot healed???
    UserPostedImage
    Mucky Tundra
    3 years ago

UserPostedImage
    nerdmann
    3 years ago

Now I wonder....is his foot healed???

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I don't like that injury history. However, the Packers do play on grass. Hope he lasts a decade.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    go.pack.go.
    3 years ago
    Can’t complain about this. Sounds like he’s versatile, which is what Green Bay loves to have in their OLinemen. This helps keep Jenkins at G or wherever he is needed. Good pick.
    UserPostedImage
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    3 years ago
    Center was a bit of a surprise but looks like he's a good fit and fills a need.
    UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    3 years ago
    KRK -- thanks for starting the thread. I hope you don't mind me amending it a little bit and changing the title so it can be used as the official thread.

When I saw this pick, I thought the OL would be anchored well at the T's and C position assuming they push Elgton Jenkins to RT.
    UserPostedImage
    porky88
    3 years ago
    Seems like a plug and play starter from day one. His size really stands out to me. The Packers haven't had a center of that size in along time. I can't think of one to be honest. Seems like the OL makeup is going to look like this:

David Bakhtiari/Elton Jenkins/Josh Myers/Lucas Patrick/Billy Martin

I feel good about that.
    Mucky Tundra
    3 years ago

Seems like a plug and play starter from day one. His size really stands out to me. The Packers haven't had a center of that size in along time. I can't think of one to be honest. Seems like the OL makeup is going to look like this:

David Bakhtiari/Elton Jenkins/Josh Myers/Lucas Patrick/Billy Martin

I feel good about that.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Billy Martin ?😋

Also looks like they're setting themselves up for the future to let Patrick walk next year and to possibly cut Billy Turner.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
    Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
    Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
    Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
    Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
    Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
    Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
    buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
    Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
    Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
    Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
    Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
    Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
    Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
    Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
    dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
    Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
    beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
    Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
    Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
    Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
    Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
    buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
    buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
    Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
    beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
    Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
    CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
    buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
    Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
    beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
    Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
    beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
    beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2024 Packers Schedule
    Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
    Eagles
    Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
    COLTS
    Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
    Titans
    Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
    Rams
    Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
    CARDINALS
    Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
    TEXANS
    Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
    Jaguars
    Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
    LIONS
    Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
    49ERS
    Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
    DOLPHINS
    Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
    Seahawks
    Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
    SAINTS
    Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
    Vikings
    Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
    BEARS
    Recent Topics
    4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.