beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

LB Krys Barnes signed to active roster; LB Tipa Galeai and TE John Lovett elevated from practice squad to active roster for gameday

Packers.com wrote:

So ILB Krys Barnes (Jordan Love's highschool teammate) will take the 53rd spot that opened with ILB Martin going to the IR. Interesting Barnes might get.snaps first and more often than Love this season.

Also with the 2020 only Covid-19 rules, teams are allowed to call up to 2 PS players per week to the 53 to selection, making 55, to make their final 48 gameday roster. (which they get 4 free passes back to the PS, but after that they have to go through waivers, so it might be different people through out the season, or might lose someone if we keep using the same person).

OLB Tipa Galeai and TE John Lovett are the two PS they're calling up, probably mainly for STs, but Galeai is extremely quick pass rush but not the most powerful struggling if an OL can keep up or run over him.

Lovett is an H-Back, jack of all trades, who might get some reps on offense, as a blocker to set up a fake block and then get downfield for a surprise big play like he reportedly had a decent knack at doing once in a while when he joined the team.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
It will be interesting to see if Barnes gets on to the field.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

Between new CBA and the pandemic, 2020 brings unprecedented roster flexibility
Posted by Mike Florio on September 13, 2020, 8:06 AM EDT

As the first Sunday of the regular season begins to unfold, it will do so with unprecedented rules allowing for roster flexibility. The rules come from both the new CBA and from rules put in place due to the pandemic.

The CBA increased practice squads from 10 to 12; the pandemic protocols moved the maximum to 16. The CBA allowed for two members of the practice squad to have unlimited experience. The pandemic rules increased the maximum to six.

The CBA allows up to two members of the practice squad to be elevated to the active roster for game day. For any specific practice squad player, he can be called up and sent back twice without being exposed to waivers. If a veteran is brought up more than twice, he must be released and re-signed to the practice squad.

The pandemic rules allow for four members of the practice squad to be protected each week from being signed to another team’s active roster.

The active roster, via the CBA, has been increased from 46 to 47. Also from the new CBA, a 48th player can be in uniform, if the team has eight offensive linemen in uniform.

The pandemic rules have dramatically changed the injured reserve procedures. Any number of players can be placed on injured reserve with major or minor injuries and designated for return. After three weeks, the player on IR can be returned to the active roster.

Also due to the pandemic, players with COVID-19 or who have been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 are placed onto a separate COVID-19 reserve list, from which they can be returned when cleared.

If a player on the active roster lands on the COVID-19 reserve list, he can be replaced by a member of the practice squad until cleared. The replacement then returns to the practice squad without going through waivers.

In the event of COVID-19 cases emerging on game day, anywhere from one member of the practice squad to all 16 of them can be elevated up to 90 minutes before kickoff. Under these circumstances, all members of the practice squad who were elevated as replacements return to the practice squad without going through waivers.

While some of the pandemic rules allow for roster manipulation and/or the stashing of players, the league willingly opened the door to that possibility in order to serve the greater goal of ensuring that all teams will have enough players for any and every given game.

ProFootballTalk  wrote:

Looks like I was mistake about how many weeks they can bring players back down to the PS with no problem (well the article only talks about veterans, and I could of swore I read you can only do it 4 times with NON-veterans before they must pass through waivers first).

But it's also interesting that it's the CBA allowing two guys come up from the PS, so so that's not a one year Covid-19 thing, that's sticking around.

Though, now I'm really wondering how do they handle the cap situation for those players, as if players are on the active roster their salary must count towards the cap, where I didn't think the PS players salary counted towards the cap, so where does players that are both on the PS and the active roster salary go?

First assumption would be that they kept it simple man said they're on the PS so their salary doesn't count, but don't know if that's right.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
I don't care if he spells his name funny as long as Krys can tackle let him play.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (17h) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (17h) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (17h) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (20h) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (22h) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.