KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
I was happy to read this

Pettine Seeks Run D That’s ‘Damn Good’ More Often
Bill Huber
https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/pettine-seeks-run-d-thats-damn-good-more-often 

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Defensively, the Green Bay Packers have the same coordinator and largely the same personnel up front.

That means fixing a run defense that finished 24th in the NFL with 4.67 yards allowed per carry last season will require a new attitude.

“One of the things we’re not going to do is teach our guys, ‘Hey, this is your gap. You absolutely, 100 percent need to stay in it,’” defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said recently. “We talk about up front, d-line especially, we want to get knock-back. We don’t want to play lateral at the line of scrimmage. We want to be aggressive up front. If I’m lined up outside shade of the guard and I knock him 2 yards back in the backfield and my helmet ends up in the A gap, so be it. That’s a win. You’re out of your gap, but the distance that we’ve created with the knock-back gives the linebackers a chance to overlap it. That’s a concept that takes sometimes some linebackers a little bit longer to learn, but it’s something that we believe in. We don’t want to play lateral. We want to attack up the field. We’re big believers in our system. When it’s executed correctly, we can play run damn well in pretty good stretches.”

The Packers will have a different tandem at linebacker this season. Veteran Christian Kirksey was signed to replace Blake Martinez for the every-down role, while draft picks Oren Burks (third round, 2018), Ty Summers (seventh round, 2019) and Kamal Martin (fifth round, 2020) will be among those competing to be the other linebacker.

Up front, though, the Packers again will rely on the familiar trio of Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry and Tyler Lancaster. Returning players Montravius Adams and Kingsley Keke and street free-agent additions Treyvon Hester and Gerald Willis will vie for roster spots and snaps.

Maybe Adams, who is trending toward being a third-round bust, will realize his potential. Maybe Keke will take a second-year jump. Maybe Willis will find the form that made him an All-American at the University of Miami.

However it happens, somehow, someway, the Packers need someone other than Clark to turn into something other than an occasional menace. Since the impact play that was missing last season won’t be delivered by some hot-shot addition, it must be done through better performance and attitude. Do the Packers have anyone capable of providing that knock-back that Pettine referenced?

“We do,” he said. “I think when our guys are focused in and their initial footwork is good. Tyler has certainly put it on tape where in the run game matchup he’s certainly capable of it. Dean, as well. And sometimes that’s hard for Dean, being as tall and long-levered as he is, a higher center of gravity. But when his technique is right, he’s certainly shown that he can do it, as well. I just think the key thing in that room is beyond those three. We relied on those three too much last year and need Keke to step up and need Mon to step up. The Willises and the Hesters and those guys (have) an understanding of, ‘Hey, this is a great opportunity and we need …’ You always want to have fresh legs there and have a rotation to roll guys through. We’re looking forward to getting those guys out there – especially the new guys – and seeing what they can do.”

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
Reading the title I was thinking Pettine was fired and was running to the office to collect his things.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
I'm a bit disappointed because this only talks about the DTs, and the main reason we're talking about the run defense so much is the 49ers game, who won by running over the edge defenders, not the DTs.

[49ers]
run-game coordinator Mike McDaniel became convinced that attacking the edges gave San Francisco the best chance of success.

=========================

Primarily, they'd use Kittle and fellow tight ends Ross Dwelley and Levine Toilolo as edge blockers and run right at the Packers' unrelated but equally imposing edge rushers, Za'Darius and Preston Smith.

The upshot, in McDaniel's eyes: The Packers' defenders, he felt, would have to play harder than they'd played all season, for the entire game, to stop what was coming at them. If Green Bay pulled that off, he could live with it.

NFL.com 49ers-with-superb-plan  wrote:

Also, the 49ers offensive coaches talk extremely highly on Pettine in this article as well, say he gave them tons of headaches attempting to game plan, as they couldn't figure Pettine out (even though they worked with him a few years earlier), so they basically decided forget trying to out scheme him and just focus on attacking their weakness, in which their players executed extremely well.

But the Packers defensive seem to focus on attacking and getting after the QB more, and they'll have more reason to with much better QBs to play against this season, which means it will probably be much rougher, since they can't be expected to dominant as much and there is the chance will see a couple more Phillip Rivers games like last years as we're facing both better and veteran QBs.

So I think run defense with struggle against, as they get after the pass, and might be better team than last year because our ILBer and Safety play might be better (as ILB Christian Kirksey fits better what they're asking the ILB do, and I'm expecting a big jump from A Savage and maybe S Greene will stay healthy), though the possibility of much worse results as we're going to be facing much better offenses.

On the bright side, our opponents defenses should be worse than last year and should be getting the offense going better (assuming the OL holds up, especially at the OTs and hopefully the TEs develop and play up to their potential).
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
3 years ago
I think he talks about DT's because after viewing the SF game several times, he realized they were the ones were decimated, notwithstanding the Smith Brothers not having great games.

Yes, they "attacked" the edges", and part of the problem is that if an offense can have TE's block OLB's, without strong DL play you are going to get your asses kicked inside. For example, how good would the Packer run game be if, vs. Bears, we could have Tonyan neutralize Mack?!? Our TEs (other than Lewis) weren't great blockers. The 49er TEs are great blockers. Kittle is the best TE in the game. I agree with Beast's point in referring to SF coach Mike McDaniel's plan of attacking the edge.

But we have to take it a step further, in understanding what neutralizing the Smiths does in regard to game planning....attacking the ends exposes our weaknesses.

Moreover, the bigger problem, which Pettine discusses, is that our interior DL was destroyed and our ILB's and Safeties couldn't overcome the line regularly getting pushed back 2-3 yards every run play. In contrast the 49er interior DL was pushed our line of scrimmage into our backfield or at least held the line.

For our defense, the combination (neutralizing Smiths and poor interior line play) was fatal.

Pettine has eyes. Let's hope he gets it addressed. Realizing the problem exists is the first step of solving any problem.
beast
3 years ago

I think he talks about DT's because after viewing the SF game several times, he realized they were the ones were decimated, notwithstanding the Smith Brothers not having great games.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Except for the fact that is backwards... as the 49ers coaches said, the edges were whom they attacked and they were the ones that were decimated.

And the DL did not have great games, had some mistakes but also had some wins and the 49ers advoided Clark as much as they could. But they were daring the edges to be able to stop them, and they couldn't.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
3 years ago

Except for the fact that is backwards... as the 49ers coaches said, the edges were whom they attacked and they were the ones that were decimated..

Originally Posted by: beast 

I think we can agree to disagree.

I really don't care what the 49er coaches said, I believe my eyes. IMO the DL was decimated.

Apparently Pettine saw the same thing.

beast
3 years ago

Apparently Pettine saw the same thing.

Oh and where did he say that?

Because I think that was you claiming that he said that... and not actually said by Pettine.

I think we can agree to disagree.

I really don't care what the 49er coaches said, I believe my eyes. IMO the DL was decimated.

Right, let's ignore the facts and the experts (who were the ones that came up and executed the plans) so that we can blindly follow our own false preconceived notions.

Anyways, anyone that actually wants the truth, can trust the experts or their eyes and see that the experts were telling the truth... the 49ers largely attacked the edges and avoided the interior.

Did they attack the interior some too? Yes absolutely, but that was secondary to the edges and the video backs that up.

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
3 years ago
If these are your cherry picked highlights to make your point, they make my case more than yours....by play:
1 - Interior destroyed
2 – Z Smith blew contain
3 – P Smith sets an edge, no flow from IDL or LB
4 - Fackrell blew edge assignment
5 - Z Smith sets a good edge, DL DESTROYED
6 – Looks like a blown run blitz from a Safety corner but even Aiken comments on the push by their OL DESTROYS our DL
7 - Redmond get caught inside after a decent edge set by Fackrell with not great flow from the inside

Sorry if I missed a play

go.pack.go.
3 years ago
Either way, our defensive line sucked all year, shy of Clark. And I could’ve told you that was going to happen before the season even started. That, combined with poor ILB play, is why our run defense sucked.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
Yup, you're right, clearly the 49ers coaches and Pettine are lying because they don't say what you're saying, and you are clearly so much smarter than are, that's why you have been proven and they're just some chumps trying to figure it out.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (19h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (20h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.