Zero2Cool
3 years ago

How?

Why are the lives of people who, statistically speaking, would probably have died in the next year or two anyway more important than the people who will die of hunger (WHO estimates over a million children will starve this year due to the lockdowns), heart attacks (they spike during periods of unemployment), and suicide (ditto)? Over 100,000 small businesses have closed permanently since the lockdowns got underway. Why are the lives of people with multiple comorbidities more important than the futures of countless young people?

My favorite statistic to come out of this pandemic: In Italy, the death rate from the disease has ranged from 0.02 percent among people in their 40s to around 15 percent among people older than 90. Do you know what the statistical risk of death from any a cause within the next 365 days for a nonagenarian is? More than 15 percent. This damn virus is less likely to kill you than the mere fact of being alive.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

My favorite is how people think surviving the virus means there are no other effects after you've "survived" it. Winning!
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago

My favorite is how people think surviving the virus means there are no other effects after you've "survived" it. Winning!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

First, thank you Dr.Nsd for your post. It sums up perfectly the way some here think.

Zero, some of the “effects” are businesses being closed permanently, and those jobs lost forever. The people who desperately needed those jobs to support themselves and their families. And how many more will have the same thing happen if the country stays on shutdown?
Just how long is long enough? It’s been 2 months. How long is long enough? 3 months, 4? A year?
How long can the world survive?
We have survived other pandemics. Fear is a controlling thing. “The sky is falling!!!”
Or “global warming! We’re all gonna fry!!!”
40 years ago all I heard in school was “the next ice age is coming! We’re all gonna FREEZE!”
Now, this pandemic is REAL. I’m not poo-pooing it. All I’m saying is to let people decide if, now after 2 months, if they want to come out.
I myself didnt hang out in bars before the pandemic, and I have no desire to start now. I still will be careful when I go out. I wear a mask, and try not to get too close to others. I think common sense should be used.
Other then what I just stated, I haven’t changed my routine that much. At this point, let people decide for themselves just how much they want to return to normal.
Many people have jobs that allow them to work from home. But the majority don’t have that luxury.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

First, thank you Dr.Nsd for your post. It sums up perfectly the way some here think.

Zero, some of the “effects” are businesses being closed permanently, and those jobs lost forever. The people who desperately needed those jobs to support themselves and their families. And how many more will have the same thing happen if the country stays on shutdown?
Just how long is long enough? It’s been 2 months. How long is long enough? 3 months, 4? A year?
How long can the world survive?
We have survived other pandemics. Fear is a controlling thing. “The sky is falling!!!”
Or “global warming! We’re all gonna fry!!!”
40 years ago all I heard in school was “the next ice age is coming! We’re all gonna FREEZE!”
Now, this pandemic is REAL. I’m not poo-pooing it. All I’m saying is to let people decide if, now after 2 months, if they want to come out.
I myself didnt hang out in bars before the pandemic, and I have no desire to start now. I still will be careful when I go out. I wear a mask, and try not to get too close to others. I think common sense should be used.
Other then what I just stated, I haven’t changed my routine that much. At this point, let people decide for themselves just how much they want to return to normal.
Many people have jobs that allow them to work from home. But the majority don’t have that luxury.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Maybe I should have spewed out statistics with no backing that conveniently fit my insecurities? 😒

There's a difference between surviving the virus and surviving the pandemic. You're speaking about surviving the pandemic, I spoke on the virus because it is conveniently ignored when people naively speak about the "survival-rate" of the virus. The virus might not kill you, but it could have a lasting effect on your health forever. That's the point. That's the difference. That's not the economy. That's just the other part of the "survival-rate" that I see routinely omitted from the statistic spewing clowns.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
No, you did correct. Statistics are thrown out there by people wanting to prove their side.
I personally know of 3 people who died, none of which had the virus. Yet they were listed as dying from the virus. So how much of it is true? I don’t think anyone truly knows.
As you know, I have heart disease, diabetes and asthma. I have survived 11 years since my open heart surgery. I have surpassed the “normal” length of time people normally survive from this.
Yes, people may have lasting effects from the virus. But what can you do about it? Like I said, how long is long enough to close down the nation? I have yet to hear from anyone that has an answer. Or even any idea of how long is long enough.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

No, you did correct. Statistics are thrown out there by people wanting to prove their side.
I personally know of 3 people who died, none of which had the virus. Yet they were listed as dying from the virus. So how much of it is true? I don’t think anyone truly knows.
As you know, I have heart disease, diabetes and asthma. I have survived 11 years since my open heart surgery. I have surpassed the “normal” length of time people normally survive from this.
Yes, people may have lasting effects from the virus. But what can you do about it? Like I said, how long is long enough to close down the nation? I have yet to hear from anyone that has an answer. Or even any idea of how long is long enough.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I am not an expert, nor do I intend to come off as one. That being said, I feel COVID-19 might be accelerate death that was already prominent. What I mean by that poor wording is I think it was the camel that broke the straws back. I've read and listened to numerous stories where people my age have went through hell and even weeks/months later they are still feeling the effects. They are alive though. That is important, however, to completely gloss over the lasting effects I feel is misleading.

Speaking of misleading. If someone has a health issue and COVID-19 contributes to the death, I feel there should be separate categories. Hell, maybe there is and I just didn't look/find them? But if someone has a preexisting condition and they have COVID-19 when they pass away, I feel that should be documented appropriately. Reason being someone could die of a heart attack and they could have COVID-19 and I think (again, I do not KNOW this to be a fact, only speculation) those deaths are being counted as COVID-19 deaths.

CDC posted on their website they expect everyone to be in contact or have COVID-19. Some people read that and go then why even do social distancing? That's easy to answer. We do social distancing to prevent a massive overflow of patients in the hospital. It can crudely be thought of like changing the oil in your car. You need to put 5 quarters in, but if you do it all at once, you're going to make a huge mess. If you use a funnel and pour slowly, your engine will be able to consume it without making a mess. I feel social distancing was not to prevent everyone getting COVID-19, but rather prevent hospitals being overwhelmed with COVID-19 cases. We have to keep in mind that hospitals aren't just sitting around play cards. They are handling other issues such as surgeries, illnesses, etc.

So -- if I come off testy about this subject, I sincerely apologize. I'm just really sick and fed up hearing about it and reading people misleading others by using statistics. We all know statistics lie. Think about that when someone blindly uses statistics to support their argument and they don't frame the statistics at all, nor provide the source.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
Zero, your last post was well thought out, and very classy. That’s one thing that makes me respect you and your opinions.
With you, it’s a discussion. You make me think, just because of how you say things. It’s not you trying to force your views on anyone. And you don’t try to make anyone that has a different opinion feel like an idiot.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
Disagreeing does not make one an idiot unless they were already one to start with. As many times that I've forecasted correctly, none have ever shown the courage to step up and admit they were wrong. Instead they play the "Trump" card and target/blame others to deflect failed postings.

If my post make any feel like an idiot or some other derogatory noun it's not because I attacked anyone, but because they are seeing these things about themselves.

I too want sports begin again, but I'm not blind to the possible reasons that might stand in the path. If the NFL does encounter Pandemic difficulties with the 2020 regular season, but can resume play in December or January, I propose a single elimination tournament that would culminate in the Super Bowl.

It would start with all teams names placed on a bowl and drawn randomly to determine who will play who in week 1. The odd teams will start as home teams and week 2 home team would be determined by a roll of the dice. Saturday and Sunday games would be played in the 16 game and 8 game and 4 game rounds. The Semi-final games would be played on Sunday and the Super Bowl the following Sunday. A pro bowl would not be played, but players could be so honored after the tournament concludes. 5 weeks of football would be better than no football at all!

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
Geez Smokey...you are so full of yourself!
You name call, use the “Trump” card as a swipe at people here (me, for example) then pretend like you don’t do those things. You started this thread saying not to name call, not to make it political, then do that yourself.
Better be careful! It’s a long fall from the pedestal you put yourself on!
And if you ever are right, I’ll admit it.
Just keep spewing your “I’m smarter then anyone” garbage. It used to upset me. Now it just makes me laugh!😏
Sooner or later you will do like you did before, and get yourself kicked off here. I have faith in you. You don’t play well with others.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
I've heard too many nationally recognized leaders that are more eloquent than myself with whom I share the same views to be intimidated by some invisible internet keypounder. If you read my post and feel emotional, then either you are hiding a small cube in a back corner that wants to agree with me or like too many others you refuse to admit that more than your views are possible.

As for being right on issues ranging from the Packers to this Pandemic, just posting a wish list does not cut the cheese. I've consistently posted for a more dominant Packer running attack and we saw last season the first view of LaFleur's offensive system that places more weight on the running game. This system requires both good running and good run blocking. Therefor many of the 2020 Draft choices will strengthen the depth of the team LaFleur is building. The WR cries I'm reading fail to see this evolution as they remain thinking in past tense terms. Gutekunst is fully aware of the WR moans and groans. I feel sure that he will address it as he did with the defense last season. I don't look for GB to acquire an Odell Beckham or some other top 10 WR, but I'm confident that changes will be taking place.

Weather football will be played this fall remains uncertain. I too want to see the games played, but I won't dismiss the real possibilities that we have just seen the first wave of this Pandemic and more waves could be on the way. It's not a prediction, but an honest look at what is possible based upon past virus cases.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
So....you found people that agree with you, so that means you have to be right. 😂😂😂

Oh....and by the way.....what about you saying at the beginning of this thread not to make it political, or to name call? You did real well with that, didn’t you?
You can’t even follow your own rules.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (13h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (14h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (14h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.