Zero2Cool
4 years ago

The Green Bay Packers are one of the NFL's most storied and successful franchises, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame is littered with their alumni.<p>After nine NFL championships and four Super Bowl titles with hundreds of victories in between, it's difficult to whittle down the Packers' greatest …

Honorable Mentions

LeRoy Butler, S: Green Bay used the 48th overall selection of the 1990 draft on LeRoy Butler, and he spent all 12 of his NFL seasons in Titletown. The Florida State product amassed 889 tackles and 38 interceptions, securing four first-team All-Pro and Pro Bowl nods along the way.

Paul Hornung, RB/K: After a Heisman Trophy-winning career at Notre Dame, Paul Hornung showed off his versatility in the NFL. He garnered first-team All-Pro recognition in 1960 and 1961 and won MVP in the latter season. Hornung totaled 5,191 yards from scrimmage and drilled 190 of his 194 extra-point attempts during his nine-year career.

Henry Jordan, DT: Two seasons in Cleveland preceded an 11-year run for Henry Jordan in Green Bay. He appeared in 139 games for the Packers, serving as a cornerstone on the defensive line of five championship teams. The 1995 Hall of Fame inductee obtained first-team All-Pro honors in every season from 1960-64.

James Lofton, WR: When James Lofton retired after the 1993 season, he owned the NFL record for career receiving yards. Of those 14,004 yards, he collected 9,656 in Green Bay. Lofton snagged seven Pro Bowl nods while playing for the Packers and took his place in Canton with the 2003 class.

Willie Wood, S: A five-time first-team All-Pro with eight Pro Bowl nods, Willie Wood was a key contributor for five championship squads. He intercepted 48 passes and recovered 16 fumbles, positioning himself for Hall of Fame induction in 1989.

10. Herb Adderley, DB (1961-69)
9. Willie Davis, DE (1960-69)
8. Reggie White, DE (1993-98)
7. Forrest Gregg, OL (1956, 1958-70)
6. Jim Taylor, FB (1958-67)

5. Don Hutson, WR (1935-45)
4. Ray Nitschke, LB (1958-72)
3. Bart Starr, QB (1956-71)
2. Aaron Rodgers, QB (2005-Present)
1. Brett Favre, QB (1992-2007)

Continue Reading @ David Kenyon 

David Kenyon wrote:

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
It’s really hard to do. Is it a list regarding only their on the field talent? Or including how they act off the field?
How about the time they played? In the 1960s the players-even the most talented- maybe would have had to take an off season job just to make a living. Now even the “scrubs” make more in one season then the old time star players made.
Ray Nitschke, Bart Starr, Dave Robinson, Fuzzy Thurston and some other old timers I was fortunate to actually talk with hold a special place in my heart. They showed by their actions that they appreciated me as a fan.
The list you show, you can’t really argue with, other then to maybe switch a few names around. We have been fortunate as Packer fans to have such a large amount of greats to choose from.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
4 years ago
Bart Starr, Don Hutson, then go from there.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
macbob
4 years ago

Bart Starr, Don Hutson, then go from there.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, then go from there... : - )

When you've got guys like Paul Hornung, James Lofton, Willie Wood on your 'honorable mentions' list, you've got an amazing list...
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
4 years ago
"When the game is on the line, Paul Hornung is the greatest player I've ever seen."
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
I can't do it.

All the QBs truly the greatest players in franchise history or are the perceived to be because they are qbs? And how do you define a QB? is it by his stats or his overall ability to lead the offense? Sure Brett and Aaron can audible but Bart called the plays in the huddle THEN the audible when needed. Give him the current rules and his numbers would have been different. Give Aaron Bart's OL for 10 years and he would astonish you.

What would Hutson's numbers have been if he played a 16 game schedule with the pass happy rules of this day?

Need a yard? How can you not give the ball to Taylor. He was a beast.

It's hard not to love thee way Adderley and Wood played. I don't think they get enough credit. The same for OL. Very underrated by the nature of their position.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
1. Starr
2. Hutson
3. Gregg
4. Lambeau
5. Rodgers
6. White (probably the best player ever to wear the uniform, but short time with the club moves him down the list. However, it was such a key signing, he has to be on it for that reason and his play)
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

1. Starr
2. Hutson
3. Gregg
4. Lambeau
5. Rodgers
6. White (probably the best player ever to wear the uniform, but short time with the club move him down the list. However, it was such a key signing, he has to be on it for that reason and his play)

Originally Posted by: KRK 

WOW! I can't recall anyone putting Lambeau on their top 10 list. He's #4 on yours. Very bold. If he wasn't very one of the best players in his day, there probably wouldn't be a team in Green Bay besides the HS and D3 teams today.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
WPR wistfully waxed:

WOW! I can't recall anyone putting Lambeau on their top 10 list. He's #4 on yours. Very bold. If he wasn't very one of the best players in his day, there probably wouldn't be a team in Green Bay besides the HS and D3 teams today.

W, as an older contributor, I feel it is our duty to add some perspective and balance for the youngsters on the site.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

WPR wistfully waxed:
W, as an older contributor, I feel it is our duty to add some perspective and balance for the youngsters on the site.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

I understand. A few years ago I was in Peoria watching a minor league baseball game. I was talking to the 2 boys sitting next to me. I showing them the little things that make up the game. Things you won't see on tv like the CF backing up the play when someone is stealing 2nd.
In our conversation they asked me who my favorite Cardinal player is. I said Stan Musial. "WHO?" I laughed and told them a little about him. I said they need to look him up on the internet. "Oh. We like Yadi." It takes time to expand the horizons of people.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (2h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (6h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.