Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
2019-04-27T00:04:56Z
Elgton Jenkins | Guard | Mississippi State | 6'4" - 310 lbs.

Overview
Efficient if unexciting prospect with the size, power and length at center to match with a variety of interior challengers across from him. Jenkins has the core strength to handle down and base blocking duties, but he could leave offensive line coaches wanting more if asked to handle challenging blocks in space. His tape against the best SEC's best teams over his last two seasons indicates an ability to become an effective, early NFL starter.

Strengths
  • Good snap to step quickness
  • Broad through back with thick lowers and good overall play strength
  • Operates with good body control and stays within himself
  • Widens frame to help wall off and seal the A-gap on interior run plays
  • Creates leverage with adequate pad level of efficient hands
  • Uses proper hand placement and leg drive to dislodge targets on down blocks
  • Vice-grip strength in hands to cinch and pull defenders close
  • Reads MIKE linebacker on combo blocks and adjusts tempo for secure block according to his movements
  • Has experience at center, left guard and both tackle spots
  • Drops sturdy anchor when he feels initial bull-rush coming on
  • Recovery talent is good enough

Weaknesses
  • More stalemate blocker than drive blocker when locked up head-to-head
  • Gives away early engagement advantages due to stalling feet
  • Plays with a little lean in initial pass sets, making him susceptible to arm-overs
  • Several missed snap counts that caused penalties and fumbles in Alabama game
  • Very average lateral quickness and athleticism in space
  • Struggles with second-level adjustments
  • Scheme required less movement than he's likely to see in the NFL.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2019-04-27T00:13:38Z
I can’t help but wonder if the Packers were going after Lock, only to have him snatched up by the Broncos.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
2019-04-27T00:19:42Z
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I can’t help but wonder if the Packers were going after Lock, only to have him snatched up by the Broncos.

If that is the case, I’m glad the Broncos got him instead of us. We need to win now.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2019-04-27T00:30:33Z
Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

If that is the case, I’m glad the Broncos got him instead of us. We need to win now.

I agree. We still have Rodgers, and he gives us the best shot at a championship. We need guys that can help to do that now.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
2019-04-27T00:31:05Z
Great Pick, Hooray. [whead]
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
2019-04-27T00:47:49Z

I'm more annoyed that the Broncos picked Risner.
Cheesey
2019-04-27T01:09:58Z
Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Great Pick, Hooray. [whead]

Man....according to you, every pick we make sucks.
Why aren’t you a NFL GM if you are so sure of yourself?
(You don’t have to answer...I know why!😂 )
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2019-04-27T01:28:50Z

This is their guy. There were plenty of good players sitting there. They wanted this guy. Gonna run that zone blocking system.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2019-04-27T01:34:48Z
I was in my car when the draft started so I decided to try the Sirius version. In part because Gil Brandt is a part of the team. I assume he has forgotten more than the rest of the team knows.

They were tuned in to the podium when Lofton made the announcement. They said we are going to break and will cover Jenkins when we return. They didn't. Other teams made trades and selections so they kept on going. I cried.

As far as the Jenkins' pick, Walter's like him.
Quote:

Elgton Jenkins, C, Mississippi State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 310. Arm: 34.25. Hand: 10.00.
Projected 40 Time: 5.05. Three Cone: 7.77.
Bench: 29. Vertical: 28. Broad: 9-1.
Projected Round (2019): 1-3.
4/24/19: Team sources told me they have graded Jenkins in the second round, and he looks like a potential plug-and-play starter in the NFL. Other teams are not as high on Jenkins. He was a steady blocker in the middle of the Mississippi State offensive line in 2018, and his strong play earned him an invitation to the Senior Bowl. Jenkins put together a solid week in Mobile.

At the point of attack, Jenkins is quick to the second level and does a nice job of beating defenders to a spot to wall them off. He is quick, agile, and athletic on the inside with the ability to fire to the second level. Jenkins is very effective at double-team combo blocks with guards and is reliable to get gaps open with his double-team skills. In pass protection, Jenkins has a good anchor with the size to handle bull rushes. He may not grade out as a first-round pick, but he could be a good second-day selection who is a plug-and-play starter in the NFL.

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Jenkins checks in at 6-foot-4, 304 pounds. He is said to run the 40 in a quick 5.05 seconds. His arms measure at 34.25 inches, his hands at 10.13 inches, and his wing span at 83.38 inches.

Jenkins is a athletic and quick interior blocker who has been very impressive for the Bulldogs over the past two seasons. Sources who have done some advance work for the 2019 NFL Draft say that Jenkins has impressed them and possesses early-round potential. Jenkins has good size to be a starting center in the NFL, and it will be interesting to see how he handles the change in offense under the new Mississippi State coaching staff.

Read more: http://walterfootball.co...t2019C.php#ixzz5mFtJWT20 

He looks like a player who can slide over and play G with no problems at all. I like it that he gets to the second line quickly. It's also nice that if there is an injury he can go back and play center.
"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
sschind
2019-04-27T05:28:51Z

Man....according to you, every pick we make sucks.
Why aren’t you a NFL GM if you are so sure of yourself?
(You don’t have to answer...I know why!😂 )

Don't you just love people who criticize without other contribution.

I don't care that you don't like the pick Smokey, that's your prerogative, but who do you think we should have taken. At least let us know why you feel the way you do otherwise I can't help but thinking you are this guy

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
2019-04-27T06:36:58Z
Originally Posted by: sschind 

Don't you just love people who criticize without other contribution.

I don't care that you don't like the pick Smokey, that's your prerogative, but who do you think we should have taken. At least let us know why you feel the way you do otherwise I can't help but thinking you are this guy

UserPostedImage

sschind, I was gonna post that exact same picture when I got off of work but you beat me to it.

As far as the pick goes, I was wanting an offensive lineman with one of our top 3 picks and was hoping we could grab one of the OTs that fell out of the first round but I like what I'm reading about this guy. Gives depth at OG and C this year (assuming that him and Turner don't push both Taylor and McCray to the bench) and options on the o-line in the future. Keeping Rodgers upright and giving him clean pockets to work with should be a priority (and according to Lafleurs offensive philosophy, it will be)
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2019-04-27T14:08:03Z
Just asking, is it normal to graduate at 23yo?
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
buckeyepackfan
2019-04-27T14:55:05Z
Originally Posted by: KRK 

Graduate High School at 18.
Get red shirted your 1st year, still 4 yrs eligibility.
Do not leave early, and you are a 23yr old College Graduate.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
sschind
2019-04-27T16:18:43Z
Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

sschind, I was gonna post that exact same picture when I got off of work but you beat me to it.

As far as the pick goes, I was wanting an offensive lineman with one of our top 3 picks and was hoping we could grab one of the OTs that fell out of the first round but I like what I'm reading about this guy. Gives depth at OG and C this year (assuming that him and Turner don't push both Taylor and McCray to the bench) and options on the o-line in the future. Keeping Rodgers upright and giving him clean pockets to work with should be a priority (and according to Lafleurs offensive philosophy, it will be)

I was kind of hoping for OL as well but if Gary helps the defense it will work out. Sounds like Jenkins will be versatile depth at the very least and like you said if he and Turner can push Taylor and McCray to the bench you have two guys with starting experience as your backups (albeit not impressive starting experience) Other than a few OL guys there was not really anyone else available that I would have preferred over Gary.

I do agree somewhat with those complaining about drafting guys and asking them to change positions. Hopefully Gary is athletic enough to make the switch if that's what they want. I do like the idea of a bunch of play anywhere guys to let Pettine shake things up a bit but I do hope they don't get too carried away. It's great to have versatility but its also nice to have a couple of guys who are simply studs at what they do.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2019-04-27T16:26:10Z
Originally Posted by: KRK 

No it's not "normal". The best players usually come out after their Soph or Jr years. But it can happen especially if there is a season or two lost to injury along with school transfer. There have been a few kids who did their military tour after graduating from one of the service academies. A few who did missionary tours (Mormon most common)

Some kids are late bloomers. He may not last much more than 4 years. Barring injury a lineman might get 6-7 years in.
"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
2019-04-30T14:26:03Z
Nice video analysis of Jenkins if you want to know what he's about.
https://youtu.be/wLR4xYs31D4