Smokey
6 years ago
“There was a foundation of draft, develop and retaining our core players; that won’t change a whole lot." ... “That’s going to be the foundation of the way we build the roster. But I do think I will lead in my own personality and probably a little bit more aggressive in certain areas. We’re not going to leave any stone unturned as far as every avenue of player acquisition. Doesn’t mean we’re always going to get to the finish and actually sign the guy, but we’re going to go throughout the entire process and be in on every possible acquisition.”
Brian Gutekunst

With 5 compensatory draft picks in the 2018 NFL Draft, GB's new GM will have two 6th and two 7th round picks that can be used to trade up in the draft with or use for trade deals to get an established player/s. [biggrin]
UserPostedImage
isocleas2
6 years ago
Packers kinda got boned on the comp picks, Lang and cook were both on the fringe of being bumped up to a 3rd and 5th respectively but instead fell to a 4th and a 6th. Oh well.

I think the Packers trade away a couple of them with 12 drafted rookies + they always keep some undrafted rooks there just are not enough openings on the roster. Trade some of the later round picks for better selections next year or to move up.
sschind
6 years ago

I personally would rather trade up and do whatever it takes to get higher picks even if it means fewer picks.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Depends on the situation but I agree if you have 12 picks or something like that. How many of those guys, especially at the lower end of the draft, will actually help the team. Practice squad material I guess. Coming out of the draft with 8-10 players is fine in my book, maybe even fewer depending on your needs and how high you can get them. I know gems can be found later but in general the higher the pick the better the talent or everyone would be trading away their top picks

I don't think I like WPR's suggestion of trading comp picks back to the league for higher picks though. Leave it between the teams. If you can't find any takers then you stay where you are at. No need to add another level of complexity. I guess it might be nice to take our 4th and 2 5ths and turn them into a 3rd but I'd prefer to do it with another team.
sschind
6 years ago

“There was a foundation of draft, develop and retaining our core players; that won’t change a whole lot." ... “That’s going to be the foundation of the way we build the roster. But I do think I will lead in my own personality and probably a little bit more aggressive in certain areas. We’re not going to leave any stone unturned as far as every avenue of player acquisition. Doesn’t mean we’re always going to get to the finish and actually sign the guy, but we’re going to go throughout the entire process and be in on every possible acquisition.”

Brian Gutekunst

With 5 compensatory draft picks in the 2018 NFL Draft, GB's new GM will have two 6th and two 7th round picks that can be used to trade up in the draft with or use for trade deals to get an established player/s. [biggrin]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Thought they only got 4. Isn't that the max you can get?

I don't think BG will deviate a lot from the way Ted Thompson did things but I'm pretty sure he will be a bit more active in FA and perhaps moving around in the draft (TT did do a bit of that)

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Thought they only got 4. Isn't that the max you can get?

I don't think BG will deviate a lot from the way Ted Thompson did things but I'm pretty sure he will be a bit more active in FA and perhaps moving around in the draft (TT did do a bit of that)

Originally Posted by: sschind 

yes.
4th
(2) 5th
6th
UserPostedImage
isocleas2
6 years ago
The 5th comp pick that Smokey is referring to is probably the 7th rounder that's on the way via a previous trade.
Smokey
6 years ago

The 5th comp pick that Smokey is referring to is probably the 7th rounder that's on the way via a previous trade.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

True, it is from a 2016 Buffalo deal. So GB has 12 draft picks going into the 2018 Draft. This new GM can't say he has little to deal with. [biggrin]
UserPostedImage
sschind
6 years ago

True, it is from a 2016 Buffalo deal. So GB has 12 draft picks going into the 2018 Draft. This new GM can't say he has little to deal with. [biggrin]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Got it. He should be able to move up if he wants to. IMO he has 4-5 picks to trade and still have a nice draft.
steveishere
6 years ago

Packers kinda got boned on the comp picks, Lang and cook were both on the fringe of being bumped up to a 3rd and 5th respectively but instead fell to a 4th and a 6th. Oh well.

I think the Packers trade away a couple of them with 12 drafted rookies + they always keep some undrafted rooks there just are not enough openings on the roster. Trade some of the later round picks for better selections next year or to move up.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

I don't think they got boned really. The 4 guys who got their teams 3rd rounder were a few million higher in APY than what Lang got so there was a good sized gap there so it makes sense.
Smokey
6 years ago
Brian G is beginning his reign in a good position. He has draft picks and players that he can use to get GB the players it needs.

IMO, I'd rather that GB get 3 or 4 above average/great players instead of 1 or 2 potentially above average players with 8 or 9 average rookies.

GB needs:

1st a REAL EDGE RUSHER
2nd a CB that can shut down an opponents #1 WR in single man coverage
3rd a TE that can get open and catch a football, blocking would be a nice bonus.
4th a RB to fill the 3rd slot behind A.Jones & J.Williams (Move Montgomery to Slot Receiver and trade Cobb as best he can be used.)
5th A long Snapper or Offensive Lineman
6th A WR to train and play on Special Teams

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (3h) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (22h) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.