Zero2Cool
6 years ago
That's because he's not the damn QB ..

Yes, really. Throughout this preseason, the Green Bay Packers  have struggled on offense when the backups enter football games. A large portion of the responsibility for this falls at the feet of the offensive line. Although the starting line remains a strong unit once again this season, the reserves have struggled in game action, to say the least.

Through three exhibition games, the Packers’ reserve line has allowed fourteen quarterback sacks and has generated little push in the running game. However, Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said this during his Monday press conference when asked about his reserve linemen: “I feel great about our offensive line depth. We have great numbers there.”

Now, McCarthy said something similar last week when asked about the performance of left tackle Jason Spriggs , who had a rough game in Washington. It could just be that McCarthy does not want to call out his players publicly. Or, he and his coaching staff could have legitimately graded out the backup linemen higher than those outside the facility at 1265 Lombardi Avenue believe.

To be fair, McCarthy hedged his first comment a bit — but only a bit — by saying that “everybody needs to learn from their last experience.” Still, he went on to say that he thought the film that the team has from Saturday’s loss to the Denver Broncos  was “excellent” and that the “quality of play for evaluation was definitely there.”

Whatever the case may be, the Packers must hope that their starting line remains intact, because the results so far in game action speak for themselves, regardless of the head coach’s vague comments.

McCarthy did also address the front seven on the Packers’ defense as well, noting that “we got a little thing there” when Nick Perry  and Jayrone Elliott  were forced to leave the game in the first half. Leading up to the fourth and final contest of the preseason, it was unlikely that Perry  would have played anyway, but he will almost certainly sit along with Clay Matthews. McCarthy alluded to this, saying that “week four will (have) some great opportunities for the younger cats,” referring to young edge rushers like Kyler Fackrell , Reggie Gilbert , and Johnathan Calvin .

One other player who may have an opportunity to contribute this week is fourth-round draft pick Vince Biegel , who has seemed to take positive steps forward in his rehab recently. McCarthy was his usual coy self about that situation, however: “We’ll see with the Vince Biegel situation what comes to light this week.” When asked by reporter Tom Silverstein if he is hopeful that Biegel will return, McCarthy dropped his best line of the press conference: “I’m full of hope, Tom. I’m the captain of hope.”

The final injury news (or lack thereof) that McCarthy discussed related to Perry , Bryan Bulaga , and Don Barclay , all of whom face concerns about ankle injuries. Again, McCarthy said he is “hopeful,” this time about those three players’ chances of playing in week one against the Seahawks . “We’ll see how it sorts out, they’re here every day,” he said. “(In) my conversations with those guys, (they say) they’re all going to be ready. We’ll weigh that with the medical staff, and I’m optimistic.”

Continue Reading @ Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
6 years ago
No comment.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
uffda udfa
6 years ago
Oh, how I just love coach speak. Those who don't really watch or know the game will read that and conclude things are just fine. 😞
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Porforis
6 years ago

Oh, how I just love coach speak. Those who don't really watch or know the game will read that and conclude things are just fine. :(

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I mean, we all know this statement is bull for sure. But unless you're suggesting that you'd never use a statement from Mike McCarthy to back up your argument because hey, it's just coach-speak, what's with the sniping?
uffda udfa
6 years ago

I mean, we all know this statement is bull for sure. But unless you're suggesting that you'd never use a statement from Mike McCarthy to back up your argument because hey, it's just coach-speak, what's with the sniping?

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I agree that it's bull but would vehemently disagree that EVERYONE knows that it is. I have used non coach speak from Mike McCarthy just recently on this forum.

What's with the sniping? You have many fans, some actually on this site, who take as gospel anything and everything coach says. If I, you, or another poster dares to question the OL depth it will immediately send them into fight or flight mode regarding defending the org's honor and they always choose fight. It creates a bad forum experience when the perspective is shared that the org can do no wrong. Believing the OL depth is okay or even not good, when it's actually beyond brutal, is just going to create issues here. You calling the statement BS may even invite a fight. Sadly, if you debate with such people they will use what Mike McCarthy said as their reply and say that they'll go with Mike McCarthy over you any day. There is no ability to think independently for some. Do you really feel like arguing with a fan about this issue and hearing them cite Mike McCarthy as their proof that you're wrong and then see them put their fingers in their ears and hands over their eyes claiming they're right and you're wrong "because coach said?".

I've said this before, here...where you get your viewpoint from is very important. If you spend a lot of time on Packers.com and JSO especially now that McGinn is gone you're going to have one heavily slanted and warped perception of where this team and franchise actually is and that is exactly my issue. I don't rely on such sources and those that do clash violently with me.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

yooperfan
6 years ago
WOW!
That is all.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
I get it that Mike doesn't want to criticize his players in the media. That's his right. It's ridiculous to pretend it isn't a problem. It's ridiculous for him to think we wouldn't be able to tell that it's a real problem.
He could say a lot of things besides

“I feel great about our offensive line depth. We have great numbers there.”

unless he is talking about their height and weight. Those numbers aren't too bad.

Murphy, Kyle 6-6 305
Spriggs, Jason 6-6 301
Gray, Geoff 6-5 315
Bulaga, Bryan 6-5 314
Pankey, Adam 6-5 313
Leff, Robert 6-5 302
Evans, Jahri 6-4 318
Bakhtiari, David 6-4 310
Barclay, Don 6-4 305
Taylor, Lane 6-3 324
McCray, Justin 6-3 317
Patrick, Lucas 6-3 313
Evans, Thomas 6-3 305
Amichia, Kofi 6-3 304
Linsley Corey 6-3 301

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago

I get it that Mike doesn't want to criticize his players in the media. That's his right. It's ridiculous to pretend it isn't a problem. It's ridiculous for him to think we wouldn't be able to tell that it's a real problem.
He could say a lot of things besides unless he is talking about their height and weight. Those numbers aren't too bad.

Murphy, Kyle 6-6 305
Spriggs, Jason 6-6 301
Gray, Geoff 6-5 315
Bulaga, Bryan 6-5 314
Pankey, Adam 6-5 313
Leff, Robert 6-5 302
Evans, Jahri 6-4 318
Bakhtiari, David 6-4 310
Barclay, Don 6-4 305
Taylor, Lane 6-3 324
McCray, Justin 6-3 317
Patrick, Lucas 6-3 313
Evans, Thomas 6-3 305
Amichia, Kofi 6-3 304
Linsley Corey 6-3 301

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Mike McCarthy almost sounds like a fan. He really does. I can't tell you how many times over the last 18 years I've heard things like... we have this guy and this guy and this guy at any given position. Who? Every team in the NFL has this guy this guy and this guy on their roster. The key is not to have a bunch of JAG's (just a guy's) on your roster. Sure, we have plenty of choices/guys. All of which are less than ideal.

UserPostedImage

Smokey
6 years ago
With RT Brian Bulaga recovering and back-up O-lineman Don Barclay out as well , the depth of GB's O-Line is being tested . Kyle Murphy seems to be doing better as a back-up than Jason Spriggs has.

Coach McCarthy , with his O-line not at 100%, has done the right thing. He has uplifted his healthy players to hopefully preform better, rather than tearing down their confidence at a critical time. Some coaches would go in the other direction and just end up making matters even worse.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago

With RT Brian Bulaga recovering and back-up O-lineman Don Barclay out as well , the depth of GB's O-Line is being tested . Kyle Murphy seems to be doing better as a back-up than Jason Spriggs has.

Coach McCarthy , with his O-line not at 100%, has done the right thing. He has uplifted his healthy players to hopefully preform better, rather than tearing down their confidence at a critical time. Some coaches would go in the other direction and just end up making matters even worse.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Paging Porforis...what did I tell you? There's more out there lurking. 🤣

All he had to say is... It could be better...or...they're a work in progress...not LIE and say he feels fine about it.

If he wanted to give his guys a pump up. He should do it behind closed doors not by lying to the media.

UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1m) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (4h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (4h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (20h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (21h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

38m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

40m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.