Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
Randall day to day; Dorleant no serious damage. Really, or is this McCarthy speak for "IR soon"?

GB has a couple of decent options at CB:

1. Hawkins was inactive in Detroit.
2. Robertson Daniel has some knowledge of the system and can be signed off Balt practice squad
3. Herb “Muddy” Waters

I have not seen or read anything that indicates Waters is anything but a UDFA that will never be. But, here some thoughts that should intrigue:

He’s the progeny of Shields and Gunter as a Miami UDFA CB, so his “bloodline” looks solid. When I hear things like don’t draft a position from a certain college because they have failed in NFL, I think this is silly. However, these things can become self-fulfilling. Everyone in the CB room and practice field speaks fondly about the Shields to Gunter to Waters thing. Because of it, Shields and coaches give Waters a little more attention, Waters feels more welcomed than if he came from South Carolina Tech. Suddenly all this adds up to Waters feeling more confidence and feeling that what he does in practice every day will lead to becoming a viable NFL CB; this heightens his attention to detail. He has the talent, a lot of guys do, it’s the mental part that stops most guys from making it and this Miami thing gives Waters has a lick-up on the mental part.

Waters converted mid September and no doubt since he’s gotten some decent reps with a mash unit of CBs missing reps in practice. This means Whitt has seen enough to know if Waters doesn’t have “IT.”

Another sign is Geronimo’s success and GB is still signing Goodley [He’s 25] and McCaffery; when a simple look at the numbers and injuries [Shields may be done, Goodson is a FA] predicts GB should be bringing in CBs. This is a strong sign that Whitt believes Waters has a chance. Could his chance come this week?
nerdmann
7 years ago

Randall day to day; Dorleant no serious damage. Really, or is this McCarthy speak for "IR soon"?

GB has a couple of decent options at CB:

1. Hawkins was inactive in Detroit.
2. Robertson Daniel has some knowledge of the system and can be signed off Balt practice squad
3. Herb “Muddy” Waters

I have not seen or read anything that indicates Waters is anything but a UDFA that will never be. But, here some thoughts that should intrigue:

He’s the progeny of Shields and Gunter as a Miami UDFA CB, so his “bloodline” looks solid. When I hear things like don’t draft a position from a certain college because they have failed in NFL, I think this is silly. However, these things can become self-fulfilling. Everyone in the CB room and practice field speaks fondly about the Shields to Gunter to Waters thing. Because of it, Shields and coaches give Waters a little more attention, Waters feels more welcomed than if he came from South Carolina Tech. Suddenly all this adds up to Waters feeling more confidence and feeling that what he does in practice every day will lead to becoming a viable NFL CB; this heightens his attention to detail. He has the talent, a lot of guys do, it’s the mental part that stops most guys from making it and this Miami thing gives Waters has a lick-up on the mental part.

Waters converted mid September and no doubt since he’s gotten some decent reps with a mash unit of CBs missing reps in practice. This means Whitt has seen enough to know if Waters doesn’t have “IT.”

Another sign is Geronimo’s success and GB is still signing Goodley [He’s 25] and McCaffery; when a simple look at the numbers and injuries [Shields may be done, Goodson is a FA] predicts GB should be bringing in CBs. This is a strong sign that Whitt believes Waters has a chance. Could his chance come this week?

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I liked Dorleant, but I also liked Robertson Daniel. He knows the system, or at least has been in it. Do any of these guys really know this system? Sometimes I wonder.

Herb Waters I liked too, it's just a question of if he's ready.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
7 years ago
I still think the Packers should have brought in another CB to the practice squad a long time ago.... if for no other reason than to take practice reps, learn the system and possibly be ready to be signed incase some more of the CB went to IR.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
I have my cleats dusted off ready to go.

OBJ wants nothing to do facing a 6' 255'lb CB with 8 second 40.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
DarkaneRules
7 years ago
We'll see after Wednesday how things are going, but I'm sure we can expect Hawkins to be active for this one but I cannot imagine them trusting him to cover OBJ. It will be a group effort, for sure.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
luigis
7 years ago
I like Hawkins but he is in the doghouse, probably on non-football related matters because he can play CB.

I like a rotation with Gunter, Hyde, Brice, HaHa and Evans....

Now more seriously: if we get to Eli in less than 0.3 seconds then nobody will be open and if we don't then Eli will hesitate to choose an open receiver and then we won't get to him yet but he will not know what to do, he will think which WR is more open than the others,eventually he will be sacked by Morgan Burnett but nothing matters because Datone Jones jumped offside.
Luis
nerdmann
7 years ago

I like Hawkins but he is in the doghouse, probably on non-football related matters because he can play CB.

I like a rotation with Gunter, Hyde, Brice, HaHa and Evans....

Now more seriously: if we get to Eli in less than 0.3 seconds then nobody will be open and if we don't then Eli will hesitate to choose an open receiver and then we won't get to him yet but he will not know what to do, he will think which WR is more open than the others,eventually he will be sacked by Morgan Burnett but nothing matters because Datone Jones jumped offside.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

Stafford is playing better than the current "Bad Eli."

I think we can get this game. This team always surprises in these situations.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
luigis
7 years ago

Stafford is playing better than the current "Bad Eli."
I think we can get this game. This team always surprises in these situations.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Stafford has guts but Eli is technically far ahead. Stafford is very erratic, he will often miss on open receivers and sometimes throw an impossible pass. Manning is more methodical, less explosive but more accurate. If you ask me I think Manning is one of the worst fits for our secondary because he will systematically hit open guys.

Luis
mi_keys
7 years ago

Stafford has guts but Eli is technically far ahead. Stafford is very erratic, he will often miss on open receivers and sometimes throw an impossible pass. Manning is more methodical, less explosive but more accurate. If you ask me I think Manning is one of the worst fits for our secondary because he will systematically hit open guys.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

Eli has a career completion percentage below 60 and will probably end up somewhere in the top 5-10 all time in interceptions. Accurate and methodical aren't the first words that come to mind when I think of Eli.
Born and bred a cheesehead
steveishere
7 years ago

Eli has a career completion percentage below 60 and will probably end up somewhere in the top 5-10 all time in intercepeptions. Accurate and methodical aren't the first words that come to mind when I think of Eli.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

Yeah, Eli is really hot or cold. If he's on his game he can throw it all over the field regardless of pressure and drop impossible to defend passes but he's often out there throwing bad passes to the wrong team or just looking lost like he did when we played them earlier. His playoff game against SF in I think 2011 is one of my favorite games from a QB i've ever seen. He was getting obliterated by their defense but it never phased him. If we get that Eli then our defense is in trouble and Rodgers needs to kill it but more often bad Eli shows up so we'll see.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (59m) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (2h) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3h) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
58m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.