MintBaconDrivel
8 years ago

Green Bay — Midseason, a time for reflection on what has been and what might be, has arrived in Green Bay and the National Football League.

Some teams discovered their hopes were little more than pipe dreams. Other teams suffered major injuries to quarterbacks and valuable players, and their hopes have dimmed.

Underachievers though they might be, the Green Bay Packers are among the fortunate few still very much capable of winning the Super Bowl.

Look at the Packers' roster. Tight end is their only position where the die is cast and it's wait 'til next year for an upgrade, although even there hope exists in the likely return of Andrew Quarless from a knee injury.

General manager Ted Thompson, having passed on the opportunity to acquire Vernon Davis in a possible trade with San Francisco, obviously doesn't view tight end as an area of urgent need.

At the 21 other starting positions, not to mention depth across the board, the Packers can match their roster with anyone's.

Thompson always likes his players and his teams, and he has every reason to like this one.

Fans can be a lot like scouts, nitpicking this player and that player. Sometimes familiarity does breed contempt when it comes to watching the same team week after week.

A general manager used to say to his scouts, "Tell me what a player can do, not what he can't do."

Continue Reading @ JSOnline 

JSOnline wrote:

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago
Alot of this is Aaron always wanting to roll out. I think it was the Chiefs or the Chargers who first started only rushing as deep as he drops, cutting off his roll out lanes.

Jawarski said it this week too.  Aaron's got that mentality now that he's like a "run first" QB. Just settle the F down and get in a rhythm dude. Take your reads and hit the open guy.

Cosell said that Rodgers is “part of the problem” for the Packers, while Jaws revealed (as noted by friend of TBL Will Brinson) that he’s dropped Rodgers out of the top spot on his coveted quarterback big board.

Mike needs to reign Aaron in. Somebody needs to stand up to Aaron and tell him he needs to get it together. Aaron needs to get over himself or take a seat.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gotarace
8 years ago
I just hope that if the Packers easily beat the Lions we don't get the illusion of grandeur again in Titletown. We have been exposed on defense as being super soft over the middle by two teams in a row and beating weak teams in the league doesn't make us title contenders. Where is our pass rush? Not even a pocket collapse in the last 2 weeks. We make Payton look 15 years younger and he was quick to expose our soft spot play after play. It really appears we are content with business as usual in Titletown and the gap gets larger between us and the elite teams in the league.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
It was more a matter of over-achieving for six games, then coming down to earth against a couple of really good teams playing inspired football at home. When I say "over-achieving", I mean playing better than would be expected from the personnel we have - specifically, an O Line that is mediocre at best, receivers who might not start for a lot of teams except for Cobb, an average RB taking over for a plow horse, a collection of disappointments other than Daniels in the D Line, very limited quality LB personnel other than Matthews and Peppers who seems to be good for about 5 minutes of decent play then nothing, pretty good DBs, but they better be with all the pressure on them for man coverage in a defensive scheme that literally can't survive without massive creative blitzing.

It all is made possible by our All World QB, our game changer LB, and the ultimate schemer of a D Coordinator.

We still should win it all, but just think how good things could be if the supporting cast even was just average quality.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
8 years ago

It was more a matter of over-achieving for six games, then coming down to earth against a couple of really good teams playing inspired football at home. When I say "over-achieving", I mean playing better than would be expected from the personnel we have - specifically, an O Line that is mediocre at best, receivers who might not start for a lot of teams except for Cobb, an average RB taking over for a plow horse, a collection of disappointments other than Daniels in the D Line, very limited quality LB personnel other than Matthews and Peppers who seems to be good for about 5 minutes of decent play then nothing, pretty good DBs, but they better be with all the pressure on them for man coverage in a defensive scheme that literally can't survive without massive creative blitzing.

It all is made possible by our All World QB, our game changer LB, and the ultimate schemer of a D Coordinator.

We still should win it all, but just think how good things could be if the supporting cast even was just average quality.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

This was a team that pissed the SB away last year.

The biggest problem is this team never shows up for 60, but that's normal. In addition to that, Aaron needs to get it together and stop stat whoring.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
greengold
8 years ago

I just hope that if the Packers easily beat the Lions we don't get the illusion of grandeur again in Titletown. We have been exposed on defense as being super soft over the middle by two teams in a row and beating weak teams in the league doesn't make us title contenders. Where is our pass rush? Not even a pocket collapse in the last 2 weeks. We make Payton look 15 years younger and he was quick to expose our soft spot play after play. It really appears we are content with business as usual in Titletown and the gap gets larger between us and the elite teams in the league.

Originally Posted by: gotarace 

Don't worry. The massive negativity surrounding this team won't go away after just one game.

I'm just looking forward to a win. Do you realize it has been 28 days since the Packers last won a game? 😲

gotarace
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Love the post Texas but for one i'm not totally convinced Dom's as cagey as your praise. The last three games have been a complete train wreak on the defensive side of the ball. The smoke and mirror show has been exposed and we have been caught with our pants down. The blueprint to beat us is there and it is the execution of the opposing teams that will weigh heavily on our success.
Your post seams to point a finger at Ted Thompson's draft and develop tweener picks that rarely have developed talent at the position drafted. The pressure falls on the coaching staff with many of his picks to make them something they are not...without much success with many of them. Maybe Ted's time in Green Bay is coming to a end.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
nerdmann
8 years ago

Love the post Texas but for one i'm not totally convinced Dom's as cagey as your praise. The last three games have been a complete train wreak on the defensive side of the ball. The smoke and mirror show has been exposed and we have been caught with our pants down. The blueprint to beat us is there and it is the execution of the opposing teams that will weigh heavily on our success.
Your post seams to point a finger at Ted Thompson's draft and develop tweener picks that rarely have developed talent at the position drafted at. The pressure falls on the coaching staff with many of his picks to make them something they are not...without much success with many of them. Maybe Ted's time in Green Bay is coming to a end.

Originally Posted by: gotarace 

A little ToP will do wonders to help this D.

As for Ted, we've got plenty of talent. Aaron needs to pull his head out, and that will help us considerably. The WRs have been getting open and getting deep, they just haven't connected.
greengold
8 years ago

A little ToP will do wonders to help this D.

As for Ted, we've got plenty of talent. Aaron needs to pull his head out, and that will help us considerably. The WRs have been getting open and getting deep, they just haven't connected.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I agree. This defense looks a LOT better when the offense stays on the field more than 3 downs.
nerdmann
8 years ago
They didn't elevate their game.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (17h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (22h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (22h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (22h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.