beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

I'm very comfortable outscoring opponents - we won a Super Bowl and went 15-1 the next season that way.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I think everyone is comfortable winning... which is all outscoring opponents means. But it sounds like you're implying the offense should be given main credit for the Super Bowl.

But the Packers made it to the Super Bowl in large part because (unlike Mike McCarthy and his offenses) that 2010 Packers defense had the killer instincts to put the dagger in the other team and end the game. Other teams averaged only 15 points per game and the Packers never got down more than a TD that year. Because the defensed stepped up and played great most games.

Of the Packers 6 loses in 2010, the defense kept the other team under 24 points in 5 of them and under 21 points in 4 of them. In other words, most of the Packers 2010 losses came because the offense couldn't score 3 TDs a game.

And then the 2011 season was the complete opposite... then again, that's why some say,
Quarterbacks win games, Defenses win championships.

UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
8 years ago
It is a WIN.

The coaches have the "D" game film.

Now adapt, overcome and achieve.

The Seahawks' loss today is going to have them pissed off. riled up, and fired up.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Barfarn
8 years ago
This is simply what happens when ya play patty-cake in preseason instead of football. These guys will get in football shape by game 3.

Any concerns should be focused on specific purported weaknesses or new ones:

ILB: Palmer did great;

NT: Raji played great;

Replacement for Tramon and House: Hayward and Randle looked great outside.

Peppers losing it: Not, he's ageless!

So what's the problem; all the true question marks are answered positively.

Now what is absolutely ridiculous was Penalties by Daniels (1), Raji (1); Shields (1 and 1 on ST); Perry (1 and 1 on INT); Richardson (real Stupid one).
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago

BUT, Chicago's offense is horrific. I think I'll continue to think what I've been thinking about our defense.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

On the contrary, Cutler today played up to being only a slightly below average QB, Forte was outstanding, those "questionable" Bear WRs suddenly healed up, and their O Line greatly outplayed the Packer O Line. So beating them by 8 with a consolation TD at the end was a fair accomplishment.

Yeah, of course, things need to improve, but I thoroughly expect that to happen.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
porky88
8 years ago
Defense needs work, but you're selling Matt Forte short if you think he doesn't stack up with Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles, and the St. Louis Rams. A lot of the issues appeared to be along the edge. They kept getting bogged down instead of playing containment. Additionally, solving the tackling woes will go a long ways to correcting some of this.

I'm more concerned by the penalties right now. This was a major issue in the preseason and it carried over into week 1. Sam Shields' off sides gave the Bears their only TD of the game (Bennett's TD came via garbage time).

If Shields doesn't jump off sides, then this is a 31-12 game prior to Bennett’s garbage score. Mental mistakes like that worry me more than troubles against the run. A mental mistake against a good team (like Seattle or Kansas City) will cause more harm than the run defense.

Grabacr
8 years ago
Sam Shields had an awful game and Clinton-Dix had missed tackles...one where he just tried to arm tackle and the other where he just flew for the WR's feet...I know its week 1 but I hope both have much better games next week.

Also stopping the run was very hit or miss. Seemed to be very week on the outside
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
You all can talk bad about The Bears but they came in with a great gameplan and stuck with it.

Obvious from the start they were going to run the balll, milk the clock, and shorten the game.

They almost succeeded.

The Bears needed more than 2 3 and outs to make their plan work.

When it came to crunch time and they had to put the game in Cutlers hands, he did what he had always done against The Packers, get happy feet and throw a pick.

Everyone knew going in The D was/is a work in progress.

2 new ILB's, 2 new Db's, sorry make it 3 with Burnette being out, 2 new D-lineman, not counting Raji.

Then Barrington drops out.

Sam Shields had probably one of his worse games ever.

Yet here we are (celebrating?) a week 1 win.
16 weeks from now nobody is going to remember how ugly it was, only that it is a WIN.

Time to review the tape and start prepping for The Seahawks!

BTW

HOW ABOUT THAT WASHED UP RETREAD JAMES JONES!

Star of the game!,
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DarkaneRules
8 years ago
HUGE props goes to Lacy. Damn that's a fantastic player we have right there guys.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
musccy
8 years ago

HUGE props goes to Lacy. Damn that's a fantastic player we have right there guys.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

It makes me think that's why they went with Alonozo - the size. Granted, nobody has size like Lacy and can dance like he can. His ability to beat people to the corner really is a real asset.

As far as the defense...some have commented on it being concerning. Many of those penalized were vets. It was stupid shit, but I also don't see it as being a recurring issue.
Porforis
8 years ago

I don't like the disclaimers, though because it's something the Packers control, it is part of who they were/are. You don't tell a girl, "hey, I'm really awesome if you overlook the fact that I'm ugly and I love to play dungeons and dragons."

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Hey now, don't diss D&D.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (21h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.